Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

It’s okay, he’s not scaring me. I mean, we’re fully aware my husband could lose his job any time between now and when the park reopens. Our heads aren’t in the sand. But he also has a side trade, so he would just do that full-time if he lost his Disney job. I’m more worried over the economy as a whole than I am my husband’s job. If we end up in a depression, we’re all gonna be screwed.
Yeah I get it. Maybe I’m a little more blind or have my head in the sand but I don’t think they’re going to get rid of all entertainment... plus my husband supports the hotels etc. I think Disney will want to get back to normalcy as soon as they are able

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
hmmm...they don't have exercise listed as an essential activity here...or paddle-boarding doesn't count as exercise...

Edit: probably b/c beaches are closed.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
but again, why keep all salaried employees - I.e. the bosses of those they would supposedly let go? They make far more money, they aren’t unionized, and there wouldn’t be enough of them on the front lines for when that particular area reopened. They’d have to retrain and entire staff. It would make more sense to fire the salaried of area X - saves them some money when they reopen, and they aren’t unionized so they couldn’t fight for their job back - and then just transfer salaried people from various areas (just one per area) to fill the hole for that role. Leaders (for example) are always transferred around every few years anyway, and it’s still possible to run an area if you’re missing just 1-2 leaders.
And I’d like to see how the Unions would take the news if any union folk were fired while their non-unionized salaries or executive counterparts go to keep their jobs. No, I don’t think that would go over well.
I’m confident the hourly folk will just be furloughed as well. Today, at least.
I will fully admit, however, that long term, no one is safe. Maybe I didn’t make that clear, because I definitely agree with you there. But cuts would be made to salaried and no -union roles first, I think. I mean I could be wrong. But that’s what makes sense in my pea brain unless someone with more knowledge could explain why doing the opposite would make more sense. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Don’t forget. Those salaried leaders are people too.

And salaried employees were furloughed.

JohnD

I agree. But I can see your concern. A church could read the EO to mean the entire congregation could return. I can personally tell you my church doesn't see it that way. Everyone stays home with the exception of those in front and behind the camera doing the streaming.

From the pastor of my church:

"The Governor’s order defines religious services as “essential activities.” Nonetheless, we also recognize that, as leaders in the community, our gathering of people needs to heed the “no more than ten people together” principle. You are welcome to come into the empty Cathedral when you are out on an “essential” errand (7 am to 9 pm). Pray, light a candle, adore the crucified and risen Lord. But please don’t come at the times we are live-streaming services. At those times, join us by electronic means. "

ImperfectPixie

"The Governor’s order defines religious services as “essential activities.” Nonetheless, we also recognize that, as leaders in the community, our gathering of people needs to heed the “no more than ten people together” principle. You are welcome to come into the empty Cathedral when you are out on an “essential” errand (7 am to 9 pm). Pray, light a candle, adore the crucified and risen Lord. But please don’t come at the times we are live-streaming services. At those times, join us by electronic means. "
And that attitude is the correct one to have during a pandemic. Too bad all religious "leaders" aren't following his example.

natatomic

Don’t forget. Those salaried leaders are people too.

And salaried employees were furloughed.
I never said they weren’t. I have near and dear friends who are salaried. And I’m only seasonal, but my role is non-union, so all my friends I work with are as well. Trust me, I don’t want anyone to lose their job, and I apologize if I made it sound like I did.

But I’m also trying to think about what Disney’s move would be from a business perspective. There is a person behind every role, but if they have to make cuts, Disney will do what makes the most business sense (which I’m sure involves far more variables than just the few I mentioned in my previous post), and people will lose jobs. My husband is hourly, my friends are non-union hourly, and my son’s father is salaried. I don’t want ANY of them to lose their job. But Disney will do what they have to to stay in business, and that was just my theory as to what that is.

21stamps

hmmm...they don't have exercise listed as an essential activity here...or paddle-boarding doesn't count as exercise...

Edit: probably b/c beaches are closed.

This hurts my soul. Let people be in the water. My understanding is that most states are still allowing private ocean access, and personal watercraft.
If there was any time when I would want to spend a morning boating, diving, and surfing, it would be now.

I was trying last week to go to KW to coquarantine with a friend.. I’m just too scared that my kid and I might not get in.

That same friend purchased flights to Israel when things really started being restricted. Her and her daughter went to MIA, thru security, to the gate... and then could not get on the plane, due to her daughter’s American passport. Had to turn around and go all the way back.
No refunds for the flights.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Brilliantly said. We can certainly all use a lot of prayers and I love the part about stopping by if you are already out on an essential errand. Exactly how we should all handle this.

ImperfectPixie

This hurts my soul. Let people be in the water. My understanding is that most states are still allowing private ocean access, and personal watercraft.
If there was any time when I would want to spend a morning boating, diving, and surfing, it would be now.

I was trying last week to go to KW to coquarantine with a friend.. I’m just too scared that my kid and I might not get in.

That same friend purchased flights to Israel when things really started being restricted. Her and her daughter went to MIA, thru security, to the gate... and then could not get on the plane, due to her daughter’s American passport. Had to turn around and go all the way back.
No refunds for the flights.
I've seen problems come up with boats crowding together on the water, too many people on boats, beaches ending up full of people not practicing social-distancing, etc. The water is far more difficult to police than land, so I kind of get why they'd be discouraging it.

Lilofan

I never said they weren’t. I have near and dear friends who are salaried. And I’m only seasonal, but my role is non-union, so all my friends I work with are as well. Trust me, I don’t want ANYONE to lose their job, and I apologize if I made it sound like I did.

But I’m also trying to think about what Disney’s move would be from a business perspective. There is a person behind every role, but if they have to make cuts, Disney will do what makes the most business sense (which I’m sure involves far more variables than just the few I mentioned in my previous post), and people will lose jobs. My husband is hourly, my friends are non-union hourly, and my son’s father is salaried. I don’t want ANY of them to lose their job. But Disney will do what they have to to stay in business, and that was just my theory as to what that is.
I know some who work in Orlando also impacted. Like some they have other sources of income ( side jobs that are lucrative ) so with the unemployment checks, $600 per week 24 week stimulus money, 1-2K stimulus money they will be fine for the next few months. But I agree, if it's depression levels, some people will not be able to cope with it.

21stamps

I've seen problems come up with boats crowding together on the water, too many people on boats, beaches ending up full of people not practicing social-distancing, etc. The water is far more difficult to police than land, so I kind of get why they'd be discouraging it.

This was a huge problem in Boca Raton...so many people were posting photos and videos of Lake Boca, zooming in on the boaters to shame them on Social media (I hate that).. I understand policing gatherings, but for things like diving, surfing, paddle boarding, boating,fishing with your family or someone you’re co-quarantining with- those shouldn’t be taken away. It’s no different than going for a hike or other currently-allowed land activities.

John park hopper

Unrelated to WDW but I have seen several reports that farmers have produce in the field ready to be picked and no one to harvest it. I can't help but feel this situation is being overlooked and god help us if the food supply is interrupted or simply not being harvested. We can not rely on foreign imports those countries are no better off than we are shipments will stop. I would hope the various State governors would mobilize the national guard to help harvest an essential product ---FOOD --food for thought

ImperfectPixie

This was a huge problem in Boca Raton...so many people were posting photos and videos of Lake Boca, zooming in on the boaters to shame them on Social media (I hate that).. I understand policing gatherings, but for things like diving, surfing, paddle boarding, boating,fishing with your family or someone you’re co-quarantining with- those shouldn’t be taken away. It’s no different than going for a hike or other currently-allowed land activities.
I don't disagree, but it puts strain on those responsible for policing the public, in a time when they need to reduce it. I'm not wild about it either, just being realistic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unrelated to WDW but I have seen several reports that farmers have produce in the field ready to be picked and no one to harvest it. I can't help but feel this situation is being overlooked and god help us if the food supply is interrupted or simply not being harvested. We can not rely on foreign imports those countries are no better off than we are shipments will stop. I would hope the various State governors would mobilize the national guard to help harvest an essential product ---FOOD --food for thought
Why are fruit pickers not allowed to work? If you work in a factory making toilet paper you are still allowed to work because you make an essential product. Why not fruit? The government needs to correct that.

21stamps

I don't disagree, but it puts strain on those responsible for policing the public, in a time when they need to reduce it. I'm not wild about it either, just being realistic.

I’ve decided that if I were to end up furloughed or laid off, we will go to ride this out in SoFla.. and we will be on and in the water. It would be the only thing that could keep me sane.
I hope that doesn’t happen, but it’s definitely on my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom