Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There was an earlier story about a church that conducted a funeral. Next thing you know, the whole community had COVID 19. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. I'll agree this is a definite loop hole in the EO.

there are warehouses open where hundreds of people still gather. So there are a lot of loopholes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The real question for the safety of where most WDW workers live is whether their local county restrictions are still in place, or whether the FL governor's order is meant to supersede local restrictions.

If some religious group in Orlando see this as permission to gather, then you're going to have a hot spot like that Korean church was.

As for Catholic Churches, the Pope isn't going to have anyone aside from a handful of helpers to hold Palm Sunday, Good Friday, or Easter liturgies. Yes, the Pope in Rome.

Orlando Archdiocesan churches are closed. Closed closed. Not even open for individual prayer since Mar 18. Funerals and Weddings can occur only with the most immediate family present (just a handful of people). Same for most Catholic churches everywhere.

Brer Oswald

That is actually the exact opposite of how science works.
I'm not being snarky. We just can't ever afford to go back to this type of thinking. Stay at home orders, pandemic projections, they should be based on the facts available, the scientific understanding, and the intent to do good.
Science is the first to say they don't know if they don't know, it is part of the scientific method.
But the decisions made need to be on the best understanding rather than platitudes and gut feelings like "preparing for the worst make it a reality."

Never again.
Sorry, I should of phrased my wording differently. Preparing for the worst isn’t bad, it’s actually smart.

But constantly being negative and pessimistic does nobody any good. This is as much a mental battle as it is a physical battle, and while most of us are doing what we can to fight the physical virus, we are failing miserably by letting it defeat us mentally.

We’re stuck at home. Okay, we can deal with that. But does arguing about something we can’t control, and making others feel depressed to boost our ego about “being right”, really going to help anyone? No. Stop making predictions. The parks will open when they open.

Discuss facts, not opinions. The only opinions I want to hear are those about Disney’s content.

21stamps

There was an earlier story about a church that conducted a funeral. Next thing you know, the whole community had COVID 19. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. I'll agree this is a definite loop hole in the EO.

The story described a buffet setup afterwards, lots of hugging, etc. That’s far beyond a funeral service.
Funeral services should still happen if the family desires, a wake or celebration of life should wait.

Polynesia

The real question for the safety of where most WDW workers live is whether their local county restrictions are still in place, or whether the FL governor's order is meant to supersede local restrictions.

If some religious group in Orlando see this as permission to gather, then you're going to have a hot spot like that Korean church was.

As for Catholic Churches, the Pope isn't going to have anyone aside from a handful of helpers to hold Palm Sunday, Good Friday, or Easter liturgies. Yes, the Pope in Rome.

Orlando Archdiocesan churches are closed. Closed closed. Not even open for individual prayer since Mar 18. Funerals and Weddings can occur only with the most immediate family present (just a handful of people). Same for most Catholic churches everywhere.
Orange and Osceola stay at home orders are still in place and they’re saying they may be extended. Just heard it on the daily briefing. I suspect they will be extended to match the governors.

JohnD

Being careful to put this in the context of people gathering and not in any religious context, Christians and Jews have many celebrations coming up in the coming week for Easter and Passover. Some churches will celebrate Easter only. While others will have many services throughout next week from Sunday, April 5, through Easter, Sunday, April 12. Passover is somewhere in the vicinity. Not necessarily the same day as Easter, though. Will they stream or will they gather together people? Will be an interesting week under this EO.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t see how one can interpret Item 1 other than as permission for religious gatherings to continue in person. A terrible, terrible mistake.

I can respect a leader for realizing that a government ordering people to not meet for a religious service is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

I can also respect church leaders for wanting to keep staff and church members safe.

Lilofan

“A pandemic closing the parks is unprecedented,” Bloom wrote in a Touring Plans blog post. “We have data from the September 11 attacks that closed the parks and disrupted travel. During the 2008 recession, people reduced spending on vacations. The data for all disruptions in operations shows an initial reduction in attendance and then a bounce back.

If the parks don’t reopen until July or August, the post-COVID-19 recovery could take much longer as the park heads into the natural post-summer attendance drop-off, according to Touring Plans. With a late summer reopening, attendance could see a much shallower recovery with Disneyland attendance unable to regain its footing until the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, the Touring Plans data shows.
Informative forecast on DLR considered a locals park.

Rimmit

To quibble... it missed slightly on #4. If it was also airborne in a additon to droplet-borne, like Measles... well, then, the whole world would have already been infected two months ago.

Yes, It only hit the Pentafecta, lol. Had it gone for the Hexafecta with being airborne like measles with an R=12 we might as well move to a new planet at that point.

How about we not give the viruses any new ideas?

Polynesia

Thank you for the article. Very interesting reading and gives one hope for the future. My family was just contemplating going to Disneyland near Christmas. Their Haunted Mansion is awesome during the holidays combining Halloween and Christmas.

rowrbazzle

I saw this on a site from a reliable source -
"Expected reopening at this point would be April 10 at the earliest (if not at 11:00 PM on April 9.) An internal email sent out to Florida-based Cast Members Tuesday"

Doubtful. Because the Governer just a few hours ago put a ban on ANY unecessary travel for at least the next 30 days. That would have to be lifted first.

To be fair, it says that April 10 is the earliest they could possibly reopen, not that they will reopen at that time. It's simply clarifying Disney's options based on the mayor's order. It was also posted 6 days ago; newer articles include info based on new orders.

celluloid

To be fair, it says that April 10 is the earliest they could possibly reopen, not that they will reopen at that time. It's simply clarifying Disney's options based on the mayor's order. It was also posted 6 days ago; newer articles include info based on new orders.

Yes, but the post was to clarify what is likely now, as it was just shared here. The person sharing seemed to make it as if it was recently(yesterday) sent out to Cast. So I do not want miscommunication. If the info is already dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom