Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

Breakdown of numbers by U.S. state counties....

It can’t even be close to accurate for many states. Ohio has said over and over that our numbers are misleading. They are only testing the most serious cases, as in hospital admittance.

JERiv

Universal has a date of 4/19. LEGOLAND set their date for 4/14. I believe Disney will reopen by middle of May and cast members will continue to get paid. Eventually the world has to reopen. It can’t be shut down for months on end. I believe the steps being taken by the states will be successful.

It's my understanding that these things (if we're lucky) come in waves. The first dies off around Summer, only for the second to start near Fall, and a third around Winter. That's what happened with the Spanish Flu.

If we're unlucky, this thing doesn't react at all to Summer, and it continues to infect all the way through until we have a vaccine (1-1.5 years away) or we find something that can treat it. Right now, we don't have anything that can treat it, we just treat the symptoms.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I don’t see it. Disney would fire cast members already if that was their intention. Cast members haven’t been let go in Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Tokyo. And they’ve been closed longer. Shanghai is coming back slowly already. Tokyo has an opening date of April 20. Of course, I choose that the glass is half full. Disney will open again in the near future. To rehire would be a very long process. Several scientific experts are agreeing we should peak in two to three weeks and then continue to drop off. It saddens me to see posters apparently taking glee in cast members possibly losing their jobs.

Tokyo is not reopening on April 20th. That's the earliest date it could re-open based on their announcement.

My whole life is based on reality. It’s part of who I am personally and professionally. I never deal with wishful thinking. And Disney isn’t going to fire everyone. There’s no reason to pay them for a few more weeks if they planned on letting them go. If you look at the other Disney parks as an example of what they’re doing it might become clearer.

I was very surprised that Disney didn't furlough P&R. Let the government pay for it. I think this was all about optics.

Well, I'm keeping my WDW reservation for the week of 5/25 until further notice. . .

As you should.

Polynesia

Wait, I thought Disney was just a blind follower of UO. And yet, Disney's not following UO's lead and announcing closure until mid-April, but instead, being more honest that they have no idea how long the the lockdown will be.
Disney is looking at its other parks and realizes this isn’t just a month shut down. Realistically it could be mid May with cast members going back a bit earlier. Forecasts are we’ll peak in two to three weeks and be in good shape by June. Things will start to open again. The virus may still be around in a smaller degree. I don’t say this lightly as I’m older with health conditions. Florida just suspended all vacation rentals for two weeks. And there is a noticeable decrease in people from ny flying in since he imposed a 14 day quarantine on them. People in Florida are taking this seriously. Many beaches are closed. The few that are open are being monitored and appear pretty empty.

Polynesia

It's my understanding that these things (if we're lucky) come in waves. The first dies off around Summer, only for the second to start near Fall, and a third around Winter. That's what happened with the Spanish Flu.

If we're unlucky, this thing doesn't react at all to Summer, and it continues to infect all the way through until we have a vaccine (1-1.5 years away) or we find something that can treat it. Right now, we don't have anything that can treat it, we just treat the symptoms.
People are expecting it to die off by summer as you say. New drugs to treat this are being worked on already. By fall there may be no vaccine but a very good chance of drugs to help fight this. Statistics also show that not everyone will get this virus. They studied the cruise ships as an example. In that environment you’d think everyone would be infected. Yet only 20% were affected. Some people are already immune to it.

Polynesia

Tell that to Tokyo and Hong Kong.
Tokyo shut down I believe on February 29 and hope to open April 20. That’s about six weeks. Shanghai has been closed the longest starting the beginning of February. So that’s two months. Months on end is more than two months.

nickys

Premium Member
Have they said how this will impact high school students and their future university applications? Or sports?
Is the U.K. doing homeschooling so they all can still have the chance to advance to the next grades?

Sorry for the bombardment, but these are the questions that I have no idea how they’ll be handled.

As @marni1971 said, high school exams still to be confirmed but it will be a mixture of predicted grades, mock exams, and coursework submitted.

Most schools are putting up schoolwork online. They have said it is likely schools will shut until the end of the school year.

The UK doesn’t have exams in order to progress, everyone just moves up anyway.

University exams are cancelled, nothing yet been confirmed for final year students

All sport is cancelled for now. Cricket is apparently looking at playing with no spectators, but I doubt it will happen. Wimbledon haven’t made a decision yet, but I expect it will be cancelled.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It can’t even be close to accurate for many states. Ohio has said over and over that our numbers are misleading. They are only testing the most serious cases, as in hospital admittance.

The times article has a link you can follow for a look at their data where they've been keeping track of reports.

1585348324359.png

Last edited:

hopemax

I think you’re very wrong. Does anyone honestly believe that the virus hasn’t been in Florida already for quite awhile? So many people here have been very sick since January. Tests are negative for the regular flu. I had many of the corona virus symptoms the end of January but didn’t have the flu according to the test. I eventually ended up in the hospital. How can tens of thousands of cast members all be immune to this? Disney was open half of March. You’d think many would be sick. Yet you didn’t hear of mass illnesses. And the press here hates Disney and would love to report thousands of cast members becoming ill. I believe the virus ran through Disney earlier on.

I'm going back to this. If the virus ran through Disney in January, there would be hospitalizations and deaths to back that up. This virus has killed significant numbers of people in China, Italy, Iran, Spain and France. There is nothing special about Florida, and the people living and visiting Florida that would have made them immune to the effects, including death. There is evidence that the age and health of the people living in Florida that makes them more susceptible to the negative outcomes, not less. The guy who predicted that Seattle had it 6 weeks before their first case, has looked at the gene sequencing done in Italy and believes that it likely arrived in Lombardy in January. If it was just getting started in Lombardy in January, there is no way it was running rampant in Florida in January. Several person 0's in various places, sure, but rampant? No. The State has made no statement indicating that they have reviewed patient data from January and have reached a conclusion that "all these people were sick, but very few people died." If that were the case, I would expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops to help alleviate concerns about the future.

I know it's human nature to want to grasp onto whatever they can to make this not be as bad as it will be. Hoping everything can get back to normal, sooner. So every cold is being turned into, "I must have already had it." But be wary that is just a false hope; a coping mechanism. This is growing in Florida now, just like it is growing in numerous places around the US. I don't want people to make it worse for themselves by being unprepared for what is to come. If it took 2 months in Italy to grow into the critical mass that it is, April into May is going to be telling here. I guess the "good" news is that unlike a lot of things that get debated, we won't have to wait too long to see on which side of the knife we will fall.

celluloid

Tokyo shut down I believe on February 29 and hope to open April 20. That’s about six weeks. Shanghai has been closed the longest starting the beginning of February. So that’s two months. Months on end is more than two months.

Well then months on end is right by your definition. Jan 25th is when Shanghai closed with Hong Kong closing the next day. And they are not as close to reopening as some may think.

21stamps

As @marni1971 said, high school exams still to be confirmed but it will be a mixture of predicted grades, mock exams, and coursework submitted.

Most schools are putting up schoolwork online. They have said it is likely schools will shut until the end of the school year.

The UK doesn’t have exams in order to progress, everyone just moves up anyway.

University exams are cancelled, nothing yet been confirmed for final year students

All sport is cancelled for now. Cricket is apparently looking at playing with no spectators, but I doubt it will happen. Wimbledon haven’t made a decision yet, but I expect it will be cancelled.

I don’t know how youth sports clubs and universities are going to handle this. The majority of this world’s youth may not be getting ill from the virus, but their lives are definitely feeling an impact in other ways.

Ag11gani

Have they said how this will impact high school students and their future university applications? Or sports?
Is the U.K. doing homeschooling so they all can still have the chance to advance to the next grades?

Sorry for the bombardment, but these are the questions that I have no idea how they’ll be handled.

In England I believe teachers’ predictions for grades will be used, with the option to sit the exam if they disagree with their grade. In Scotland, nothing is really known in terms of grades currently other than exams being cancelled.
Sports is really a big deal here so I can’t imagine much changing.
It would depend on the school but I would imagine that most schools are doing some kind of e-learning. I know that the school my nephews go to is doing activities and tasks online for S1-S3 pupils (about 11-15). Although S4-S6 (16-18) can’t do much because it is unknown how qualifications will be received.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t know how youth sports clubs and universities are going to handle this. The majority of this world’s youth may not be getting ill from the virus, but their lives are definitely feeling an impact in other ways.

The same way everyone is going to have to handle it.

I would imagine if your family is suffering it would be pretty selfish to expect to go to a fancy college next year, you’ll have to stay home and help make some money for a year.

Yeah, this is going to have major impacts on everyone’s lives.

21stamps

In England I believe teachers’ predictions for grades will be used, with the option to sit the exam if they disagree with their grade. In Scotland, nothing is really known in terms of grades currently other than exams being cancelled.
Sports is really a big deal here so I can’t imagine much changing.
It would depend on the school but I would imagine that most schools are doing some kind of e-learning. I know that the school my nephews go to is doing activities and tasks online for S1-S3 pupils (about 11-15). Although S4-S6 (16-18) can’t do much because it is unknown how qualifications will be received.

I hope they can do online learning and work on lesson plans and tests at home. Predictions sound so horrible. 😬

The same way everyone is going to have to handle it.

I would imagine if your family is suffering it would be pretty selfish to expect to go to a fancy college next year, you’ll have to stay home and help make some money for a year.

Yeah, this is going to have major impacts on everyone’s lives.

I just try to think of the logistics, and I can’t see them... I don’t even know where to begin.
Academically, even with home learning, older kids can use that to basically cheat, which will artificially inflate their grades. Millions will advance when really they should repeat. That will potentially have a huge impact when schools do return to normal.

Sports wise.. I’m at a total loss. Scholarships for high schools kids. And all youth sports- Club rankings. Team rankings. Player rankings. Tryouts. They’re missing an entire season, or best case, the majority of a season, how does that even get sorted?

I’ve been trying to find if there’s ever been a comparable scenario, and so far, looks like one doesn’t exist.

Polynesia

I'm going back to this. If the virus ran through Disney in January, there would be hospitalizations and deaths to back that up. This virus has killed significant numbers of people in China, Italy, Iran, Spain and France. There is nothing special about Florida, and the people living and visiting Florida that would have made them immune to the effects, including death. There is evidence that the age and health of the people living in Florida that makes them more susceptible to the negative outcomes, not less. The guy who predicted that Seattle had it 6 weeks before their first case, has looked at the gene sequencing done in Italy and believes that it likely arrived in Lombardy in January. If it was just getting started in Lombardy in January, there is no way it was running rampant in Florida in January. Several person 0's in various places, sure, but rampant? No. The State has made no statement indicating that they have reviewed patient data from January and have reached a conclusion that "all these people were sick, but very few people died." If that were the case, I would expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops to help alleviate concerns about the future.

I know it's human nature to want to grasp onto whatever they can to make this not be as bad as it will be. Hoping everything can get back to normal, sooner. So every cold is being turned into, "I must have already had it." But be wary that is just a false hope; a coping mechanism. This is growing in Florida now, just like it is growing in numerous places around the US. I don't want people to make it worse for themselves by being unprepared for what is to come. If it took 2 months in Italy to grow into the critical mass that it is, April into May is going to be telling here. I guess the "good" news is that unlike a lot of things that get debated, we won't have to wait too long to see on which side of the knife we will fall.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. And I say that because my cardiologist even mentioned it to me that I may have had the virus. I trust his opinion over others surmising. I’m also taking in to account the ER doctors comments. I didn’t just have a cold. I was airlifted to a larger hospital because of my condition. I had a fever for a week, horrible cough, pneumonia, nasusea, oxygen level of 82 and was severely dehydrated and tested negative for the regular flu. I am taking every precaution I can and our county is on lock down. I don’t naively go out thinking I’m immune to this because I don’t know for sure. But common sense tells me it’s been in Florida longer than some think. John Hopkins has estimated that it’s possible 50,000 to 500,000 people have had this before it became widely known. Hard to believe that no one from China visited Disney in January when it was running rampant there already. As you say, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom