Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

There will be a huge impact to most every companies profits. The only difference will be that some companies will see the impact sooner, like the bars or restaurants, while others will see a delay because they are indirectly impacted... but even an insurance company that only sells car insurance will see an eventual impact as the people that lost their jobs will cut their insurance coverage when it comes down to food or car insurance. There will be huge consequences to ever business, I wish it weren't so but it will be.

Agree... the question the governors are facing is, how “huge” are they willing to let the consequences be.. 0 profit.. or smaller profits.

21stamps

I haven't read the 426 pages in here, I will just drop my perspective as someone who has the virus (for 10days now)

I'm 28, generally live a healthy life, am in good shape and exercise from time to time. I have an asthma history, and have smoked in the past.
The worst part is really the pain in the lungs, and finding yourself out of breath for no apparent reason. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Do you mind telling us what state you are in, and how you were able to get tested 10 days ago?
ie Allowed a test because you knew you had been around someone who was also diagnosed.

esskay

That is interesting, especially when you consider the UK has a higher infection rate than the US does right now... I think UK was at 59/million people and the US was at 55... so we are catching up... But who knows maybe opening theme parks in the UK will let you guys win the race.
Not sure its possible or fair to measure countries against themselves as the figures are based on tests. You could look like the 'best' country by just not testing.

The UK's figures won't be accurate now as the games changed - you isolate yourself and unless you need to you do NOT contact emergency services as its a total waste of their time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
“I think we should do everything we possibly can do. I mean, in all sectors, because obviously as I've said so many times, when you think you're maybe overreacting, you probably are not acting as forcefully as you should. So as we've always said, we've got to try very much to stay ahead of the curve.”

-Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

esskay

How long until Disney starts letting CM’s go? I can’t imagine they can hang out in purgatory forever.
Not any time soon.

One interesting that has been happening, here in the UK we're developing a test to see if you've alredy had corona. Wouldn't be at all surprised if in 3 months (you're kidding yourself if you think this is over in 8-12 weeks at this point) we start seeing businesses re-open only to people who've already had it (and thus have antibodies).

All hypothetical of course. Like everyone here I'm an armchair expert with no skills or information.

raymusiccity

A world turned upside down.

The world will never be the same.
Here at Aulani, Chip and Dale seem unfazed by it all !
20200320_132928.jpg

21stamps

“I think we should do everything we possibly can do. I mean, in all sectors, because obviously as I've said so many times, when you think you're maybe overreacting, you probably are not acting as forcefully as you should. So as we've always said, we've got to try very much to stay ahead of the curve.”

-Dr Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

That’s great that he said this, but I don’t read it as shutting all non essential business down. We have to remain a bit logical during all of this, we’re headed to a recession now regardless, do we want it to be the worst depression this country has ever seen? Those are the decisions that must be weighed.

We need joint decisions between medical “experts” and economic “experts”. Neither one can call all of the shots, they need to find the most realistic median possible.

21stamps

Everyone who’s sheltered away working from home still receiving a paycheck- if the economy completely shuts down, you may not be receiving a paycheck for long. You might not have a job to go back to, and you’ll be competing against millions of people who are also looking for a job, when not many will be available. If you’re not in danger of this, then think about your neighbors, friends, and family who will be.

I just hope everyone realizes this. There are multiple things to consider right now regarding the lives of Americans.

MrConbon

Everyone who’s sheltered away working from home still receiving a paycheck- if the economy completely shuts down, you may not be receiving a paycheck for long. You might not have a job to go back to, and you’ll be competing against millions of people who are also looking for a job, when not many will be available.

I just hope everyone realizes this.

Thanks for the uplifting statement

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s great that he said this, but I don’t read it as shutting all non essential business down. We have to remain a bit logical during all of this, we’re headed to a recession now regardless, do we want it to be the worst depression this country has ever seen? Those are the decisions that must be weighed.

We need joint decisions between medical “experts” and economic “experts”. Neither one can call all of the shots, they need to find the most realistic median possible.
I know it doesn’t matter what I say because you don’t think businesses should be closed. Your assumption is that what’s happening is not logical. What if you are wrong? You can’t go back in time and have a redo. What if the government is weighing the economic and medical needs and making the best decision. Just because they aren’t doing what you think is right doesn’t mean they aren’t taking all aspects into account.

On the economic front, the same way that we can’t predict how the disease would progress we also can’t predict how the economy will be impacted. The bull market is over and we are at the start of a recession. That’s for sure. Will it be the worst depression the country has ever seen? That depends on so many variables. I am certain that PA businesses staying open 2 extra days is not the tipping point towards the “Even Greater Depression“.

21stamps

Thanks for the uplifting statement

It’s just the simple truth. That’s why there are no easy answers or decisions during all of this. In a perfect world, everyone could stay home and shutter themselves for three weeks, this virus would go by the people who already have it and then be over with quickly. I realize a lot of people are advocating for such a thing.. I’m just trying to point out why that’s more easily said than done.

seascape

Disney is borrowing 6 billion Monday. I hope that is used to take care of our wonderful Cast Members and also save Seaworld. The legal documents said the money could be used for acquisition along with other normal business including stick buybacks. However I would be furious if they did buybacks.

Shouldigo12

I see they have both liquid and bar soap. My wife was just saying how at our store all the liquid hand soap was sold out but there were tons of bars of soap. As if people forgot that a bar of soap is still soap ;)
We actually do have a ton of bar soap left. I'm guessing they added that to the list so our stock of that didn't get decimated too.

UNCgolf

If that turns out to be the case then shutting down the economy is pointless. The reason behind it is to slow the spread. If the whole country becomes like New York then it isn't working.

It's not.

That doesn't mean it won't get bad in other parts of the country (it probably will) but nowhere else in the US has the population density of NYC (and its metro area; some of it is in New Jersey). NYC is the perfect place for a virus like this to spread because so many people are packed into a relatively small area.

There are a few specific areas in places like LA and Boston that have pretty high population densities, but they're still nowhere near the density of basically all of NYC. I think San Francisco is the second highest population density city-wide and it's only about 60% of NYC's density.

Last edited:

21stamps

Your assumption is that what’s happening is not logical. What if you are wrong?

I never once said this. Not even close. So I can’t be wrong on something that was wrongly attributed to me, based on an incorrect assumption.

I want to find the balance of slowing the spread and not shuttering all non-essential business.. to lesson the impact on the economy while putting the least amount of people at risk - both economically and medically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom