Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

A second TSA employee at Orlando International Airport tested positive for covid19. The TSA employees that came in contact with the infected person are under isolation for 14 days. No word on the travelers that came in contact with the employee who tested positive.
Make that a 3rd TSA employee who works at Orlando International Airport who tested positive for covid19.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"If you’ve been closely exposed to a person with confirmed COVID-19 disease within three days; AND, are a household contact or a healthcare worker; AND, do not have current symptoms of COVID-19 disease, email covid19@umn.edu."

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ve seen a few local places selling gift cards so they can keep paying staff. It’s a great idea. Basically an interest free crowd sourced loan that you pay back later when people come in to dine when this is all over. If you have a place you like you have to do your part to keep it in business.

Or more simply put... 'war bonds'

Shouldigo12

"If you’ve been closely exposed to a person with confirmed COVID-19 disease within three days; AND, are a household contact or a healthcare worker; AND, do not have current symptoms of COVID-19 disease, email covid19@umn.edu."

So interesting that an immunosuppressant could potentially help with Corona.

Josh Hendy

Someone here was asking yesterday how Italy got so messed up.

I have no documented links but I saw a claim somewhere that northern Italy at some point brought in 100,000 migrants from Wuhan and Wenzhou regions of China to work in textile factories. So many people that direct flights existed. The implication is that when the panic flight from Wuhan started, enough Wuhanese managed to escape back to Italy (presumably there were in Wuhan for Chinese New Year) that ... what with general unpreparedness and incompetence in both China and the EU ... the virus became unstoppable.

Sorry if this is old news or totally wrong.

RobWDW1971

For those people who believe "the economy will snap right back when it's over" see below - there are countless businesses that are highly leveraged or in a debt reorganization processes that will be permanently impacted by being closed for months:

Bankrupt casual-dining company CraftWorks Holdings Inc. furloughed most of its 18,000 employees and is shuttering its restaurants and brewpubs as the coronavirus derails the company’s planned chapter 11 sale, people familiar with the matter said.

The Nashville-based restaurant operator has idled its locations after a devastating collapse in consumer activity and restrictions from state and local authorities on business operations and public gatherings, these people said. CraftWorks, which filed for bankruptcy earlier this month, was hoping to sell more than 260 of its best-performing locations, possibly to Fortress Investment Group, which had offered $138 million for the assets. Now the sale process has been upended, and Fortress, a senior lender to CraftWorks, has revoked a $23 million bankruptcy loan that was keeping the company afloat while it looked for other bidders, people familiar with the matter said. The company’s cash dried up, putting the loan into default, they said.

It isn’t clear how many of the idled restaurants could ultimately reopen. A small number of CraftWorks employees will remain working in its corporate offices, a person familiar with the matter said.

Consumer-facing companies are broadly ratcheting down operations, furloughing some employees, moving other to part-time status and resorting to layoffs in some instances as they grapple with the spreading pandemic.

CraftWorks entered bankruptcy operating 338 locations under brands including Logan’s Roadhouse, Old Chicago Restaurants, Gordon Biersch, Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery, Big River Grille & Brewing Works, The ChopHouse and A1A Ale Works. The company also owns Ragtime Tavern, Seven Bridges Grille and Brewery and the Big Bang at Sing Sing.

Rimmit

And I'm officially done in our town group. There are lots of people not taking it seriously, and regardless of how many links to reliable proof you provide, they claim it's misinformation or that you're just trying to panic people or they nitpick the numbers because they don't 100% jive with the website they like. I'm just freaking done.

I think how long we can last is going to depend on a number of factors.

1.) If the government actually sends out checks. As long as people have income and can eat that will calm a lot of fears.

2.) A big part of this is how severe this gets. In theory if we start having 10000 people a day dying, you may not be able to get people to leave there houses for fear of catching Covid-19. However if only 300 a day are dying, people are more likely to start breaking a lockdown.

3.) Putting a ban on evictions. As long as people have a place to live people Can be content to sit still.

4.). If the government is actually able to stop businesses from going bankrupt through loan deferrals, loans, bail outs, or whatever means they have at their disposal. As long as people know there is a reasonable chance that they will or can get a job coming out of this that will calm people.

If you can keep people fed, sheltered, and the hope of a job when this is over combined with a healthy dose of fear people can make it beyond 8 weeks.

In all honesty, there is a good chunk of our society that already does a fair amount of sitting at home, collecting government checks, receiving free healthcare and food stamps, so as long as that continues for them I don’t see a riot breaking out in that population. It’s really the low middle/middle income class that will be the most in need of assistance and needs to be covered during this. The upper class will have the cash reserve and as long as the government can provide assistance to their business if needed they will weather the storm.

TrainsOfDisney

Looks like you are right.

From 2013 article

That would explain some things.... I was trying to figure out why Italy was soooooo much worse than anywhere else.

That’s why “look at Italy, we don’t want to be Italy!” Is maybe not what we should be saying. Too late now....

21stamps

3.) Putting a ban on evictions. As long as people have a place to live people Can be content to sit still.

Here’s my worry with this.. let’s say you own a second property, use as a rental, single family home. Now your tenant can’t pay. How long do you allow that? Is it right for the government to tell you to allow it for several months?

Giss Neric

1584749308364.png

So when will Disney and Universal announce their extensions? I assume reopening will also be around May too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom