Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

So I know someone already talk about the Health conference Trump was to speak at canceled amid coronavirus concerns. Orange County, FL had a press conference saying they had 4 major conference / shows canceled for a estimated 154 Million loss.

I know where I am located every other call is about refunds and canceling. It feels a lot like Hurricane Season.

I was on the show floor at HIMSS this afternoon when the cancellation announcement was made during set-up. The mood immediately turned very somber. Many people there are contact / part time, and thousands affiliated with the convention business here in town have basically been laid off indefinitely this afternoon.

There was a lot of talk of extended vacations, plan ‘B’s, looking for any possible temp jobs, and getting out of the business entirely because of this... no one was under any delusion or much hope this would resolve quickly.

AEfx

One thing I noticed on my last vacation at WDW is that the water that comes out of the faucets in the theme parks and hotel lobbies is automatic. One cannot control the hot/cold water. How do you wash with warm water if there is none coming out??

The heat of the water is largely irrelevant. In order for the heat of the water to actually matter in terms of killing a virus, it would have to be far hotter than your hands would be able to tolerate.

TP2000

Business travel nationwide essentially has now shut down indefinitely. The Orlando convention season is normally in full swing now, and the HIMSS announcement is widely regarded as a tipping point for everything else on the schedule to cancel at least through summer. Venues like the convention center and some hotels based around meeting travel will likely completely shut down for at least a few months.

This has never happened on this scale, so we are in unprecedented territory... but historically when there has been a business travel slowdown for whatever reason, leisure travel is only a few weeks behind it.

It truly is fascinating to watch unfold!

Today an additional person died in the US due to Coronavirus complications, bringing the death toll in the USA to 12.

Also today, approximately 110 Americans died today due to Flu complications, for a total of over 20,000 Americans killed in the last six months during the current Flu season.

But sure, let's all freak out about Coronavirus instead. At least now maybe Disney will clean the sticky lap bars on rides a bit more?

Lilofan

The heat of the water is largely irrelevant. In order for the heat of the water to actually matter in terms of killing a virus, it would have to be far hotter than your hands would be able to tolerate.
So the CDC recommending washing your hands with warm soapy water is irrelevant. Sure.....

AEfx

So the CDC recommending washing your hands with warm soapy water is irrelevant. Sure.....

I said nothing about soap.

Again, the “warm” has nothing to do with killing the virus. In order to sterilize your hands with the heat from water you would have to immerse your hands in boiling water.

The reason “warm” is often recommended is because if you are trying to clean off truly dirty hands it can help lift debris, etc. But for normal routine hand washing it isn’t necessary.

In fact, there are some who think the “warm” part is antiquated, due to the above, and in fact would suggest that cold, soapy water is better because warm water just warms you hands and keeps them moister longer, which actually helps bacteria fester in the crevices of your hands as they just love warm, moist environments.

lisa12000

Goodness and I thought that the UK forums were volatile! I tend to lurk rather than post for fear that I will just get shot down however I will say this. I listened to our health minister Matt Hancock and (it pains me to say this as a person who will never ever vote conservative over here) I have to say it was nice to hear some reasoned comment. He stated that if they have to make decisions they will but having listened to the science/our chief medical officer and epidemiologists that draconian measures such as shutting schools/cancelling big gatherings and travel in and out of the country does not work! He cited Italy who were on of the first to shut down travel/lockdown cities/cancel sporting crowds and look whats happened? creating an environment where people are contained almost creates a giant Petri dish within those areas for viruses to spread. And you know what, what he said made a lot of sense. It is the WHO who suggested that airborne transmission is not determined and that people who are asymptomatic do not, in general, pass on the virus (due to it being transferred through contact and droplets) and that outdoor events are not an absolute risk to pass on this virus.

I DO NOT get shutting down schools where there has been no cases, conferences where there is little risk if proper precautions are taken all it does is create stress and worry for students who are coming up to exam season, fear of and actual economic hardship for people (such as me) who will lose 1000s if exams do not take place etc and this in the end may kill more than the virus suggests as I can tell you now if these measures are taken in the long run I, for one, could lose everything!

(and now ill go back to lurking haha)

lazyboy97o

One thing I noticed on my last vacation at WDW is that the water that comes out of the faucets in the theme parks and hotel lobbies is automatic. One cannot control the hot/cold water. How do you wash with warm water if there is none coming out??
Some faucets are actually user adjustable. The rest are facility adjustable. People should probably complain to Disney if the water is not warm. They can adjust the temperature, sensitivity and duration.

Last edited:

Genie_naughty_whispers

It truly is fascinating to watch unfold!

Today an additional person died in the US due to Coronavirus complications, bringing the death toll in the USA to 12.

Also today, approximately 110 Americans died today due to Flu complications, for a total of over 20,000 Americans killed in the last six months during the current Flu season.

But sure, let's all freak out about Coronavirus instead. At least now maybe Disney will clean the sticky lap bars on rides a bit more?

And when was the last time you saw health care providers wearing bio hazard suits and masks for the flu??

comparing this to the flu is asinine.

exactly. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

TeriofTerror

The Ellie Mae conference in San Diego later this month is thus far adamant they will not cancel (they seriously sound angry and defensive at the very notion. ) If I have to go all the way there (including layovers in Atlanta and San Francisco), I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go to WDW.
Fortunately for me, my daughter works for the company that makes Purell. 😉

TP2000

And when was the last time you saw health care providers wearing bio hazard suits and masks for the flu??

Since an average of 110 Americans die every day due to the Flu, health care providers probably should be wearing hazmat suits. Although the majority of Flu deaths are in the elderly and infirm who have underlying health problems, just like the American deaths from Coronavirus have been.

8 Americans were not killed by Coronavirus complications in a suburban Seattle kindergarten this week. Instead, 8 Americans were killed in a suburban Seattle nursing home, where all the victims were elderly and already sick and/or weak, as most folks in nursing homes tend to be.

But somehow the hundred or more Americans dying every day from the standard Flu strain ciruclating never makes the news, winter after winter, year after year. Funny how that works.

flutas

Since an average of 110 Americans die every day due to the Flu, health care providers probably should be wearing hazmat suits. Although the majority of Flu deaths are in the elderly and infirm who have underlying health problems, just like the American deaths from Coronavirus have been.

8 Americans were not killed by Coronavirus complications in a suburban Seattle kindergarten this week. Instead, 8 Americans were killed in a suburban Seattle nursing home, where all the victims were elderly and already sick and/or weak, as most folks in nursing homes tend to be.

But somehow the hundred or more Americans dying every day from the standard Flu strain ciruclating never makes the news, winter after winter, year after year. Funny how that works.

I'm curious why you keep bringing up the flu and pretending it's deaths never gets coverage. This can be proven to be a lie (that it never gets coverage) with a simple google search.

2020, 2019, 2018... and so on.

The reason this is getting so much coverage is the current death rate of 3.4% (per the WHO), combined with being very infectious (a R0 estimated between 2.24 and 3.58) and a brand new virus means it's noteworthy over "common" deaths yearly from the flu.

If suddenly tomorrow a new fault with roads showed up that started causing cars to wreck and kill the driver "but 'only' less than 3.4% of drivers", wouldn't you want to hear about it, even though car crashes kill an average of 3,280ish people daily?

MagicWDI

This argument doesn't have any legs anymore. You are comparing something that we already have a hand in controlling and at its very peak versus a virus that is new and has the POTENTIAL of spreading very wide before hitting its peak. We don't even know what the peak is for COVID-19. It could infect the same number of people as the flu does within a year, and if that happens, with a potential mortality rate north of 3.0%, we can see 30 times the deaths the flu causes. THIS is why it's news worthy.

But without a vaccine, this could spread even further.

So the keyword is Potential

Disorbust

MrHappy

I have a conference at the Swan starting 3/11. So, like many, this is nothing to armchair quarterback. But unlike sites like Business Insider, you need to go to the source. I actually feel a bit foolish being concerned about my trip
I'm starting to think alot of sites are sensationalizing this for clicks...go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom