Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

Look, I know that the entire economy cannot remain shut down until a vaccine is developed and available. But I also cannot imagine ever considering getting on board a cruise ship until a vaccine is ready. I don't know how others feel, but I would have to think that many people will be equally hesitant. I tend to think that the cruise industry is basically done for a while. But I could be wrong.

trainplane3

Just got my Savi saber building cancellation a few minutes ago:
cancel.JPG

Disney Analyst

There are many visas that are used, not just J1s.
CRPs are on Q1 visas

Sorry, I was only aware of the specifics of the one I was given as a Canadian on the ICP, but I realize there are many types of Visas.

My point is, I don't think any will be issued for the foreseeable future, and I assume existing ones will be cancelled.

Last edited:

imsosarah

Months? No he's been employed up until coronavirus. If I said months PLEASE blame it on a tired mom of an infant. He lost his second job (furlough) and will be paid through this week (covid pay) then he will be back once they open (columbia sportswear)... and he has worked for disney for 15 years. He was unofficially furloughed starting april 18th (unofficially because we know it's happening but they haven't worked out the particulars for union members)

Sorry for being snarky then if you were just trying to help. a) I'm tired b) I'm worried and c) you wouldn't have been the first one to suggest he 'just finds something' while we wait lol
No offense taken, I know this is a lot and not easy for anyone. I am really sorry for what you are all going though. If there is any, the plus now is that with the extra $600/week, that is significantly more than standard unemployment rate and you can now get it with the furlough, which should start the second he is officially furloughed - like on the website at 6am that day registering. With an infant at home - run the numbers, it may be the safest option and close to the rate at Trader Joes

TrojanUSC

Many pages back a poster who has a relative who works as a CM said the ride maintenance staff are not considered essential so they are furloughed with everyone else. The only thing left is security and a Skelton crew keeping the areas safe. I would assume some basic landscaping workers and someone checking on the plumbing and electricity to make sure no fires or floods.

While some maintenance is furloughed (it's a big department), there are limited crews remaining on site. They are cycling the rides as often as needed per SOP (for some this is once a week, for others its every few days). There's a small skeleton crew on hand.

The goal of this all is cost mitigation and letting multi-billion dollar assets like attractions rot is not part of that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting read about baseball in S Korea starting up. Unfortunately the US failed to follow their lead so we are far behind:

Another interesting story from the NHL. They are planning for a potential playoff season in August and possibly in empty arenas. Issues getting international players back to N America plus which cities will allow games.

Finally, the NBA is considering a plan to hold the playoffs as a tournament in Las Vegas instead of having teams travel around the country.

These are all just ideas being tossed around by various sports leagues and TV money is the main motivator behind the outside the box plans, but it gives a good indication about how likely it will be that a lot of things involving large public gatherings will be modified. That includes most likely WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While some maintenance is furloughed (it's a big department), there are limited crews remaining on site. They are cycling the rides as often as needed per SOP (for some this is once a week, for others its every few days). There's a small skeleton crew on hand.

The goal of this all is cost mitigation and letting multi-billion dollar assets like attractions rot is not part of that.
That’s good to hear. I assume they will still need a few weeks to ramp everything up, but at least stuff isn’t just rotting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s good to hear. I assume they will still need a few weeks to ramp everything up, but at least stuff isn’t just rotting.
...mothballing is never really an option. Not in Florida. Mother Nature hasn’t been furloughed yet😎

I’m guessing it’s at least 83/84 right now with 70% relative humidity? And that’s a blind guess...

Crap...I was off. It’s 79 with 53% RH. Quite lovely? But also the perfect incubator for mold and corrosion on metal

TeriofTerror

I’m glad we’re having the same “who cares about a bunch of old people dying“ discussion. They would have died anyway. Blah, blah, blah. Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how cold and callous but it’s all been said before so why keep repeating it over and over and over...unless the goal is to get a rise out of people.
I've learned a lot about humanity on these boards over the last few weeks. Some people, like @GoofGoof, @marni1971, and @LittleBuford warm my heart and make me hopeful. Some others, well... ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I could make a comment about being glad this shut down didn't happen 10-ish years ago, or many attractions and buildings would likely have suffered the same fate as SpectroMagic because the management at that time would have cut even basic maintenance in order to save a few dollars. But I won't. ;) (I kid, I kid...)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
1 + x = 2

Solve x

I’m curious how you think this will play out? For spitballing purposes.
I’d think anything at the moment would be personal conjecture. I wouldn’t even call it educated to be honest.

My thoughts assuming all other things remain equal. And people do as they’re told.

Some lifting of restrictions late May / early June.
Partial leisure reopening mid July
Partial travel resumption sometime August - albeit with heightened checks and questions

Strictly my thoughts of course.

DisneyDoctor

A vaccine may NEVER be developed. Even the varieties of influenza lack vaccines that can prevent getting the virus.

I can't live in fear of what may happen. I plan to live life as I did before - enjoying travel in the US and abroad, and using plains, trains and ships.
There will be a vaccine. Its efficacy may suffer due to mutations etc. But, make no mistake, there will be a vaccine.

JohnD

I would also shoot for fall to be safe. Even if it opens the end of May or June.. which in my opinion is still pushing it, don’t think there will be a whole lot to do. All guesses of course here . We are going thanksgiving and Just yesterday my wife asked if we should move it to next year. I said it will be fine by then but the more I sat here, just started thinking if it might not be a bad idea.

It's not like it won't be there whenever I decide to return. And if I can't go late May, I'm saving money yet again. (Already rescheduled from late March).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom