Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Query - Did some people at Disney get this virus or something? Anyhoo, I saw this thread was getting a lot of traffic. So, I thought I’d let every know my trip report (trip starts tomorrow!), will be going up soon. Heard a rumor crowds were low. Pretty fired up.

Clamman73

Query - Did some people at Disney get this virus or something? Anyhoo, I saw this thread was getting a lot of traffic. So, I thought I’d let every know my trip report (trip starts tomorrow!), will be going up soon. Heard a rumor crowds were low. Pretty fired up.
You’ll have the pool to yourself.

ImperfectPixie

It looks like there were two separate points made in today's briefing that got combined into one thing. Because, well, these things happen in following a White House briefing.

A. The next two weeks are going to be horrible. So everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Trumps comments were: "This could be a hell of a bad two weeks. This is going to be a very bad two or maybe even three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we've never seen before."

B. They are expecting the virus to kill 100,000-240,000. But I think this is the same charts that we've seen before that run through the end of July. Dr. Birx said Dr. Fauci also say this is the number that still can be brought down with effective social distancing.
The charts run through August, I believe. Both Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx were pretty adamant that we can be doing better than we are, too.

Nemo14

meet us for Tonga Toast!

JoeCamel

Ohh, are you going to do a live play by play of your trip or wait until you have the whole thing in the can?

Lilofan

International travel will be the last thing that comes back. It May take a few years to ramp back up.
That would be terrible for the hotels and shopping on International Drive that cater to foreign tourists and the local Orlando shopping outlets and malls that depend on foreign tourists dollars including of course Disney, Universal and Sea World.

Lilofan

It looks like there were two separate points made in today's briefing that got combined into one thing. Because, well, these things happen in following a White House briefing.

A. The next two weeks are going to be horrible. So everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Trumps comments were: "This could be a hell of a bad two weeks. This is going to be a very bad two or maybe even three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we've never seen before."

B. They are expecting the virus to kill 100,000-240,000. But I think this is the same charts that we've seen before that run through the end of July. Dr. Birx said Dr. Fauci also say this is the number that still can be brought down with effective social distancing.
If the virus charts actually does run through the end of July and is accurate, it is nearly impossible for WDW to open until at least the fall 2020.

Giss Neric

There’s an actual poll on the main page:

Only 12% of respondents plan to return to the parks as soon as they are open....and this is a Disney fan board.

Anyways back to topic. I voted for as soon as the parks reopen cause I'm like that. I have no anxiety or paranoia running through me right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clamman73

We are playing the game because you stated that the “vast majority” were forced into isolation. LA while large is not the “vast majority. It was a very weak extrapolation of one city applied to the whole country.

I agree everything is hypothetical. We are not privvy to booking data from Disney, but the fact they are offering free dining for people who had trips cancelled likely tells me that their bookings are not exactly as strong as they had been previous to the whole pandemic.
Something has changed over the past days with this thing...today at the grocery there was a lot of people wearing masks and gloves as opposed to some days ago. I saw more people today wearing masks than I ever had in a hospital pre-Corona.
People are tip toeing now so Disney must be seeing people bailing on their vacations...even if it was in the summer.

Lilofan

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...
You should watch the daily news conferences in TV

jmp85

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...

The UW model they keep using has been missing badly on hospitalizations and deaths (the actuals have been coming in lower than the lower range of their projections). They are actualizing the model periodically, but it looks like they're only doing it every 4-5 days. I am hoping the trend continues. Color me cautiously optimistic.

MissingDisney

Something has changed over the past days with this thing...today at the grocery there was a lot of people wearing masks and gloves as opposed to some days ago. I saw more people today wearing masks than I ever had in a hospital pre-Corona.
People are tip toeing now so Disney must be seeing people bailing on their vacations...even if it was in the summer.
Possibly because it has become “real” to some who have now lost friends or loved ones to this horrible virus. It’s always happening to someone or some place else.....until it’s your family.

Rimmit

Uh, OK. You are apparently fixated on the two words "vast majority" instead of the actual point of these multiple posts. I officially retract that phrase to ease your mind, let me rephrase:

Here in Los Angeles, the entire population is legally required to isolate. It is my humble opinion, that if the millions of people in Los Angeles were not forced to isolate and were allowed to go to Disneyland if it were open, it would be crowded.

Also, not sure who ever said their bookings today in the middle of a several month closure are as strong as they were previously because that would be idiotic, but feel free to move the goalposts to whatever conversation you are having in your head.

Thank you for the clarification. Very much appreciated.

Think you missed the point about the free dining and bookings and I apologize for not being clearer. The point regarding bookings was that hotel discounts and incentives are typically brought out when bookings are weak. You believe that the parks will be packed if they were open, but, as I am sure you are aware, typically Disney rolls out the free dining when bookings are weak. Not strong.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I don't get is that this was a sailing that departed on March 7th. HAL announced a suspension of services on March 13. On March 13, the ship was near Montevideo. It could have easily made way to Buenos Aires where passengers could be debarked (quarantined as necessary - with the remainder flown back to FLL).
The South American ports closed and blocked them out. The full timeline is in the blog post from the holland America ceo

Are we assuming “fired” is the same as “laid off?“ A fired employee does not receive unemployment benefits...or, rather, shouldn’t.
In our state fired employees receive benefits the quickest. They will begin receiving benefits immediately. Their checks start within two weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To be honest, as dumb a move as that was, if she showed symptoms that soon after birth, she likely was already incubating from exposure when she and her husband were together at home before going to the hospital.
Forget the wife, he was infected and went into a maternity area with babies, other patients and the doctors and nurses who treat them. Put a lot of vulnerable people at risk for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom