Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

For those still concerned about WDW, here’s the case numbers for FL:
View attachment 587050
Definitely moving in the right direction for the state. For those wondering about indoor masks when Disney reimplemented the indoor mask policy in July the 7 day moving average of cases was 14,706….the 7 day moving average today 12,501. We are past the impact of the lower testing for the holiday weekend in the 7 day average and it’s still dropping. I’m not suggesting Disney should drop the indoor masks anytime soon, but based on case numbers alone it wouldn’t be shocking if they did. I was pretty skeptical that we could see a mask free 10/1 50th but it may actually be possible. There are going to be crazy big crowds so maybe not the best time to change safety rules. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Trying to get back to something Disney related again.

I'm super happy to see the numbers going down! Almost at 30 days for us!

We are all vaccinated, but one person in our party has Lupus, so we were always going to be cautious. I'm ambivalent on indoor masks at this point. As long as it's not outside, doesn't really bother me. :)

I just hope it's not super hot!!!

disneygeek90

Definitely moving in the right direction for the state. For those wondering about indoor masks when Disney reimplemented the indoor mask policy in July the 7 day moving average of cases was 14,706….the 7 day moving average today 12,501. We are past the impact of the lower testing for the holiday weekend in the 7 day average and it’s still dropping. I’m not suggesting Disney should drop the indoor masks anytime soon, but based on case numbers alone it wouldn’t be shocking if they did. I was pretty skeptical that we could see a mask free 10/1 50th but it may actually be possible. There are going to be crazy big crowds so maybe not the best time to change safety rules. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Trying to get back to something Disney related again.
Bingo. When numbers are just bad instead of the worst ever, it's probably not the best time to start lifting restrictions during what will be one of the busiest weekends of the year.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Bingo. When numbers are just bad instead of the worst ever, it's probably not the best time to start lifting restrictions during what will be one of the busiest weekends of the year.
Also, we have to see the affects of labor day, and the crowds continuing to increase during Halloween events. Anyone paying attention can see that school vacation periods and holidays always bring this beast back.

dreday3

I think the first few days of October will be insanely packed, but honestly, more and more rooms are opening up later in the month and there is still a lot of dinner availability. I'm quite surprised actually.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think the first few days of October will be insanely packed, but honestly, more and more rooms are opening up later in the month and there is still a lot of dinner availability. I'm quite surprised actually.
Oh, I was speaking more about Florida in general. But maybe WDW guests finally got the message to stay away.

Timmay

Then what is your point? What’s your solution? I hate when people ask ultimatums here but I’m genuinely curious.
I don’t believe you are familiar with the conversation that was taking place. I would suggest you go back and read. Your question has absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed.

sullyinMT

Hopefully that means Disney is turning the corner on staffing issues, allowing more rooms to be in the pool. So long as the downward case and hospitalization trend continues, they should do the business prudent thing.
View attachment 587050
Thanks for redirecting my attention (and all of us). See my response above. If WDW management learned anything, it’s that a surge will cause people to (maybe rightfully) panic and cancel/postpone trips. Removing the last of COVID mitigations too soon will be a disaster. Some of the recent attendance lull could also be schools going back and the absence of international travel, as well as waiting out September for the 50th to kick up. But it has been exceptionally slow recently, and I can’t help but think Florida’s recent situation drove some of the attendance away, as well. If Disney can continue selling themselves as the safe place to enjoy a historic anniversary celebration and fall/winter holiday family vacation, there’s no reason they can’t close out 2021 with a financial win.

As for when we can see them make another go of masks optional everywhere, I’d hedge my bets on February or March assuming 5-11 gets EUA on vaccines by 11/1. Once parents have had a chance to protect all of their school-aged children, and hoping the nation at large can get to “moderate” on the CDC transmission scale, we might see an attitude shift against the complacency and just dealing with even indoor masks.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Here is the beginning of some reality.

Spectrum Health offers employees natural immunity vaccine waiver - https://www.fox17online.com/news/co...on-requirement-with-proof-of-natural-immunity
At my office they are requesting proof of vaccination or proof of covid positive results in the past 90 days. If you can't supply any of that, weekly testing is required. This seems not much different and what I expect most companies to follow.

"To prove natural immunity, an employee must have a positive PCR or antigen test for COVID-19 from a lab certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988, plus a positive anitbody test. Both results must be from within the past 3 months."

TrainsOfDisney

Except that the vast majority of COVID cases in hospitals are among the unvaccinated. If they had gotten the vaccine they overwhelmingly would not have ended up hospitalized, thus dramatically lessening the strain on ICU bed availability.

You also fail to mention that “choosing the consequences of what may happen” is an extraordinarily selfish decision that puts the lives and livelihoods of others in peril.

No matter which way this is argued, getting vaccinated is a clear and overwhelmingly responsible choice, not just for one’s self and their families but for literally everyone else as well.
It’s similar to people who stay behind in hurricanes. It’s not a personal choice to stay behind when there is a hurricane, it doesn’t affect just you.

Perhaps the storm does no damage and you are fine. But if you are trapped on your roof, now rescue workers have to try to save you which is putting them in danger and also wasting large amounts of tax money.

Chomama

It’s similar to people who stay behind in hurricanes. It’s not a personal choice to stay behind when there is a hurricane, it doesn’t affect just you.

Perhaps the storm does no damage and you are fine. But if you are trapped on your roof, now rescue workers have to try to save you which is putting them in danger and also wasting large amounts of tax money.
For some leaving is near impossible. Thankfully getting a vaccine is about one million times easier and there are no excuses left.

Lilofan

DisneyDebRob

Another doctors opinion on getting vaccine.

It is his opinion and many of his Hopkins associates have been loud in voicing their concern about some of the things he says. In fact back in February he said we would reach herd immunity by April. Here’s a link to a article on things he has said over the last year and a half. Seems he changed his mind on many things once he started becoming a regular on a cable news show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom