Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmay

Not really. COVID is taking up 1/2 of the ICU availability (+/- a few % points) in areas across the country. That prevents elective surgeries, but more importantly causes a full center to make very tough decisions around “routine” emergency care. That AL man dying when no one in 43 some odd centers could accept him is one example of this. In a 30 bed ICU, 15 patients unable to seek “normal” ICU care is a real problem for a community.

This may sound cold-hearted, but I’ve lost the ability to care. Hospitals should be able to cap COVID capacity as a % of available beds, at least for the unvaccinated by choice. You’ve had your shot (or, in this case, you haven’t). Someone who punctures a leg on a tree limb (or whatever accident) shouldn’t have to decide between a 6 hour ED wait for wound closure and clean out or performing first aid and hoping for the best at home. House supervisors shouldn’t be playing “musical beds” and opening conference rooms as triage centers only to go on divert when there’s an effective vaccine to prevent nearly all hospitalization at this point, but one single cause is taking 1/2 of ICU capacity.
Covid certainly is the leading cause of the ICU surge…but it definitely isn’t the single cause. Many of the southern states currently have a significantly less number overall ICU beds than they have had in the last year. Alabama alone has about 80 less ICU beds…Kentucky close to 300! Staffing shortages, and not just clinical staff shortages, are playing a role in this as well. It’s the perfect combination for what we are seeing.

sullyinMT

No.

ICU's are filled with a combination of Covid and normal ICU capacity from elective/non elective non covid patients. If Covid is 50% of total capacity, elective/non elective non covid is the remaining 45%, then there exists additional covid capacity if elective procedures are postponed.

Quite a bit different than ICU's are 95% full of Covid patients.
Elective in name only. An active MI, or medically manageable thoracic aneurysm, could be admitted to an ICU for an “elective” surgery once stabilized a week or so later. I’m sure their family would disagree with the “elective” nomenclature.
Or the 14 year old with severe scoliosis who is now old enough for major corrective surgery. Should we continue delaying her life improving care to preserve capacity for those choosing to be hospitalized with severe covid?

Nubs70

Elective in name only. An active MI, or medically manageable thoracic aneurysm, could be admitted to an ICU for an “elective” surgery once stabilized a week or so later. I’m sure their family would disagree with the “elective” nomenclature.
Or the 14 year old with severe scoliosis who is now old enough for major corrective surgery. Should we continue delaying her life improving care to preserve capacity for those choosing to be hospitalized with severe covid?
We should let the unvaccinated die.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Tuesday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 11,300 more COVID-19 cases and three deaths, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data."

"According to Herald calculations of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Tuesday report, there were 10,979 COVID-19 patients reported from 228 Florida hospitals.

That’s 568 fewer patients than Monday’s report from 259 hospitals. In Tuesday’s report, COVID-19 patients take up about 20% of all inpatient hospital beds compared to 20.01% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,673 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 123 from the previous day’s report, Herald analyses show. That represents about 40% of the ICU hospital beds at the 228 hospitals reporting data, compared to 42.51% the previous day."

mmascari

Quite a bit different than ICU's are 95% full of Covid patients.
You're looking at the wrong comparison, as if COVID is the only thing an ICU is used for, so 50% COVID utilization doesn't' sound that bad.

Compare it to normal "excess ICU capacity".

If, prior to COVID, say back in 2018, the ICU normally ran at 80% capacity with 20% free to deal with unknown surges. A made up split, they probably run higher than 80% typically. Still, let's go with with it. A hospital system that's grown and sized where typically 80% of ICU capacity is in use with people coming and going. Where they occasionally (frequently) surge above 80% closer to 100% when there's say manufacturing/car/train/school/whatever accidents that stress the system for short periods of time.

Now, consume 30% to 50% of that capacity with completely preventable COVID cases. All of the excess surge capacity in the system is used up and gone, plus more. The system is unable to respond to any surge causes and it also has to cut back on anything it can to reduce the typical usage too.

Don't compare percent of ICU consumed by COVID to 100%, compare it to the "excess ICU capacity" available to deal with surges. We're way over that. Both surge capacity is decreased AND baseline level care. We're at the point where care is triaged and being denied to some.

DisneyDebRob

A quick read of the headline of the article would lead one to presume that Covid is filling ICU's to 95%, which is not the case. Yes Covid if filling beds and facilities are now postponing elective procedures to free up space.

However, Covid filling 50% of all beds with routine surgeries/accidents filling the other 45% is an entirely different thing.
Amazing how minds work differently. I never thought that when I read the title.

DisneyCane

Most surgeries don't end up in the ICU anyway (maybe vascular procedures get monitored there briefly). So, if a hospital is cancelling elective surgeries, that tells you that the entire facility is overflowing, not just the ICU.
In many cases it's because they need the staff from other areas to help with the ICU, not that they are physically out of non-ICU beds.

Timmay

I have to take issue with the bolded. Look, I get your frustration, and completely sympathize. Personally though, that’s a line I don’t think any of us should cross. Yes, no doubt the vast majority of Covid patients in intensive care chose not to be vaccinated. They also chose the consequences of what may happen if they contracted Covid. I seriously doubt any of them checked the box that had the choice of being hospitalized.

dreday3

From our little corner in the world - it seems Illinois has flattened already.

All thing considered, the wave here never really got too bad. Some southern counties positivity rates jumped, but in Chicago and surrounding never really got much higher than 5.9% and is now back under 5 again already.
Hospitals didn't increase as bad as any other waves either.

Now let's all get our flu shots! :D

Lilofan

In many cases it's because they need the staff from other areas to help with the ICU, not that they are physically out of non-ICU beds.
That's correct . My friend is an RN in a burn unit. Her new role is helping out in the ICU. Part of her role is using an iPad so the dying unvaccinated patient in the covid ward can say good bye to their family since the family cannot access the area.

Virtual Toad

I have to take issue with the bolded. Look, I get your frustration, and completely sympathize. Personally though, that’s a line I don’t think any of us should cross. Yes, no doubt the vast majority of Covid patients in intensive care chose not to be vaccinated. They also chose the consequences of what may happen if they contracted Covid. I seriously doubt any of them checked the box that had the choice of being hospitalized.
Except that the vast majority of COVID cases in hospitals are among the unvaccinated. If they had gotten the vaccine they overwhelmingly would not have ended up hospitalized, thus dramatically lessening the strain on ICU bed availability.

You also fail to mention that “choosing the consequences of what may happen” is an extraordinarily selfish decision that puts the lives and livelihoods of others in peril.

No matter which way this is argued, getting vaccinated is a clear and overwhelmingly responsible choice, not just for one’s self and their families but for literally everyone else as well.

sullyinMT

Figuratively, not literally. Of course they didn’t sign up with a physical agreement to be hospitalized. Most were probably playing betting games that “they’d be just fine since they’re young and healthy.” It was preventable, that’s all I mean. Most were led astray by the talking heads, but that doesn’t negate the fact that their decision is willfully attributing to the diminished availability of care to their community at large. Including the ability to provide care to another immediate surge, say a plane accident at/near the airport.

I’ll grant that I’m not overly eloquent here, but the willfully unvaccinated are holding communities and economies hostage. Add to it their belittling and anger toward the healthcare community (especially those well above my pay grade), and yes I’m a little salty today.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Can we all agree that two years ago, the ICUs didn’t have capacity issues? Good. So, y’all can talk percentage numbers and whatnot. The fact remains that beds are harder to come by because of a lot of people with who have chosen not to get vaccinated. Don’t let em be treated. Or, make them pay an entrance fee. It’s ridiculous at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those still concerned about WDW, here’s the case numbers for FL:
45F8C452-CA1D-4B30-B6BA-0EF29AF23024.png

Definitely moving in the right direction for the state. For those wondering about indoor masks when Disney reimplemented the indoor mask policy in July the 7 day moving average of cases was 14,706….the 7 day moving average today 12,501. We are past the impact of the lower testing for the holiday weekend in the 7 day average and it’s still dropping. I’m not suggesting Disney should drop the indoor masks anytime soon, but based on case numbers alone it wouldn’t be shocking if they did. I was pretty skeptical that we could see a mask free 10/1 50th but it may actually be possible. There are going to be crazy big crowds so maybe not the best time to change safety rules. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Trying to get back to something Disney related again.

Timmay

Except that the vast majority of COVID cases in hospitals are among the unvaccinated. If they had gotten the vaccine they overwhelmingly would not have ended up hospitalized, thus dramatically lessening the strain on ICU bed availability.

You also fail to mention that “choosing the consequences of what may happen” is an extraordinarily selfish decision that puts the lives and livelihoods of others in peril.

No matter which way this is argued, getting vaccinated is a clear and overwhelmingly responsible choice, not just for one’s self and their families but for literally everyone else as well.
I didn’t argue against any of those points, as they weren’t the topic of my discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom