Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

I've got a bad feeling about this, R2-D2, this is getting a more nightmare than Delta variant.:eek::eek::eek:
Screaming Star Wars GIF

sullyinMT

Would be nice to publish the % of ICU beds occupied by Covid patients with further breakdown between vaxxed and unvaxxed.

That would be informative data.
It doesn’t break down vaccination status (I agree it would be helpful), but DCBaker’s daily update from FL includes % of hospitalizations and ICU that are COVID’s share. ICU is hanging around 50%, from a single cause.

Lilofan

Would be nice to publish the % of ICU beds occupied by Covid patients with further breakdown between vaxxed and unvaxxed.

How about recently as of a few weeks ago Hillsborough County, FL ( Tampa area, ie Tampa General ) ER average wait times of 12-13 hours, part due to unvaccinated stressing out the hospital system . That would be more of my concern than the %of ICU covid vs non covid.

Heppenheimer

Pre-COVID, the only somewhat predictable and regularly occurring causes for ICU surges were seasonal influenza in all age groups and RSV in children. We are not currently in the season for either of those diseases. Something is driving ICU numbers upwards across the country for the past two months (particularly the south) and it isn't a sudden increase in broken legs. I wonder what that thing could be?

Nubs70

A quick read of the headline of the article would lead one to presume that Covid is filling ICU's to 95%, which is not the case. Yes Covid if filling beds and facilities are now postponing elective procedures to free up space.

However, Covid filling 50% of all beds with routine surgeries/accidents filling the other 45% is an entirely different thing.

Lilofan

Pre-COVID, the only somewhat predictable and regularly occurring causes for ICU surges were seasonal influenza in all age groups and RSV in children. We are not currently in the season for either of those diseases. Something is driving ICU numbers upwards across the country for the past two months (particularly the south) and it isn't a sudden increase in broken legs. I wonder what that thing could be?
Broken legs? Back in the day people were more physically active and now people are the complete opposite ( ie stagnant ).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A quick read of the headline of the article would lead one to presume that Covid is filling ICU's to 95%, which is not the case. Yes Covid if filling beds and facilities are now postponing elective procedures to free up space.

However, Covid filling 50% of all beds with routine surgeries/accidents filling the other 45% is an entirely different thing.
Filled to 95% is filled to 95%. Did you think the ICUs were completely empty of patients until covid came along?

TrainsOfDisney

Umm.. no?

If you take covid away, the ICU is at 45%. The reason they are at 95% is covid.

I don't think ICU’s aren’t typically 50%+ full with a single cause!

sullyinMT

Not really. COVID is taking up 1/2 of the ICU availability (+/- a few % points) in areas across the country. That prevents elective surgeries, but more importantly causes a full center to make very tough decisions around “routine” emergency care. That AL man dying when no one in 43 some odd centers could accept him is one example of this. In a 30 bed ICU, 15 patients unable to seek “normal” ICU care is a real problem for a community.

This may sound cold-hearted, but I’ve lost the ability to care. Hospitals should be able to cap COVID capacity as a % of available beds, at least for the unvaccinated by choice. You’ve had your shot (or, in this case, you haven’t). Someone who punctures a leg on a tree limb (or whatever accident) shouldn’t have to decide between a 6 hour ED wait for wound closure and clean out or performing first aid and hoping for the best at home. House supervisors shouldn’t be playing “musical beds” and opening conference rooms as triage centers only to go on divert when there’s an effective vaccine to prevent nearly all hospitalization at this point, but one single cause is taking 1/2 of ICU capacity.

TrainsOfDisney

Not really. COVID is taking up 1/2 of the ICU availability (+/- a few % points) in areas across the country. That prevents elective surgeries, but more importantly causes a full center to make very tough decisions around “routine” emergency care. That AL man dying when no one in 43 some odd centers could accept him is one example of this. In a 30 bed ICU, 15 patients unable to seek “normal” ICU care is a real problem for a community.

This may sound cold-hearted, but I’ve lost the ability to care. Hospitals should be able to cap COVID capacity as a % of available beds, at least for the unvaccinated by choice. You’ve had your shot (or, in this case, you haven’t). Someone who punctures a leg on a tree limb (or whatever accident) shouldn’t have to decide between a 6 hour ED wait for wound closure and clean out or performing first aid and hoping for the best at home. House supervisors shouldn’t be playing “musical beds” and opening conference rooms as triage centers only to go on divert when there’s an effective vaccine to prevent nearly all hospitalization at this point, but one single cause is taking 1/2 of ICU capacity.
What really makes my head hurt is the people who continue to deny that this is actually a problem. “Hospitals aren’t really filling up, that’s just what the media are telling you!“

People won’t even accept this is an actual problem...

Nubs70

Filled to 95% is filled to 95%. Did you think the ICUs were completely empty of patients until covid came along?
No.

ICU's are filled with a combination of Covid and normal ICU capacity from elective/non elective non covid patients. If Covid is 50% of total capacity, elective/non elective non covid is the remaining 45%, then there exists additional covid capacity if elective procedures are postponed.

Quite a bit different than ICU's are 95% full of Covid patients.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No.

ICU's are filled with a combination of Covid and normal ICU capacity from elective/non elective non covid patients. If Covid is 50% of total capacity, elective/non elective non covid is the remaining 45%, then there exists additional covid capacity if elective procedures are postponed.

Not everyone in the ICU is from elective surgeries. You can’t postpone your heart attack or car accident because some idiots won’t take a vaccine.

ABQ

Umm.. no?

If you take covid away, the ICU is at 45%. The reason they are at 95% is covid.

I don't think ICU’s aren’t typically 50%+ full with a single cause!
it's very hard to look at ICU's in just percentages. As a hospital's ICU bed totals are variable, based on their own ability to provide ICU level resources, they may take beds in and out of their ICU pool. In the very best of times, they could have an ICU at 50% if they only have 10 ICU beds and 5 cases, in the worse of times, they could have ICU capacity at 50% if they had 50 beds and 25 cases. I know the total bed usage, ICU and otherwise, is presented on one of the Health and Human Services sites.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No.

You do really seem to be trying to spread the rumour that COVID is no big deal. Why is that?

Heppenheimer

Not everyone in the ICU is from elective surgeries. You can’t postpone your heart attack or car accident because some idiots won’t take a vaccine.
(Not sure why I'm replying three times... but anyway)...
Most surgeries don't end up in the ICU anyway (maybe vascular procedures get monitored there briefly). So, if a hospital is cancelling elective surgeries, that tells you that the entire facility is overflowing, not just the ICU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom