Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This thread is a bit lengthy-can someone give me the TL;DR? :D
Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

Raineman

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
Where do the Illuminati lizard people come in? Someone already filled me in on those.

Lilofan

My guess is very few locals were eating at those restaurants. To visit Hawaii from out of state you either need proof of vaccination or a negative test to get out of quarantining upon arriving. The interesting part is if your covid test was before leaving the mainland and you are more than 48 hours past the test and into your trip you would need another negative test to eat there. That‘s probably the biggest change. Most hotels are requiring the proof at check in. I hadn’t heard a lot of restaurants doing it.

Edit: it’s actually required starting yesterday.
Another covid test , another expense for the unvaccinated this time on vacation. I think there are other beachfront hotels next to Aulani. It is unfortunate those guests vax or not will not be allowed to eat in Aulani dining areas. I heard the hula show / buffet at night at Aulani is popular with all. Some of my friends who stayed at Aulani a few years ago gave it rave reviews.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Get vaccinated if you're not already.
If you know anyone not vaccinated, get them vaccinated too.

The sooner the better.

All the rest is just noise, most of it depressing, if it's not achieving the above.
The stories of the unvaccinated continue to sadden. Recently a CA husband and wife who refused to be vaccinated passed away from Covid, leaving 5 kids behind. The wife who was an RN recently gave birth then got intubated and passed shortly after. Their personal choices cost them their lives.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another covid test , another expense for the unvaccinated this time on vacation. I think there are other beachfront hotels next to Aulani. It is unfortunate those guests vax or not will not be allowed to eat in Aulani dining areas. I heard the hula show / buffet at night at Aulani is popular with all. Some of my friends who stayed at Aulani a few years ago gave it rave reviews.
They won’t be allowed to eat in any restaurant on Oahu. It’s not just Aulani. The new rule went into effect yesterday and requires customers to show proof of vaccination or a negative covid test from within 48 hours to eat in a restaurant. So if you are unvaccinated and want to go to Hawaii you will have to take a covid test every 3rd day you are there if you want to eat in a restaurant. I guess there is always takeout but I’m assuming most unvaccinated will skip Hawaii now, which is kinda the point I guess.

Lilofan

They won’t be allowed to eat in any restaurant on Oahu. It’s not just Aulani. The new rule went into effect yesterday and requires customers to show proof of vaccination or a negative covid test from within 48 hours to eat in a restaurant. So if you are unvaccinated and want to go to Hawaii you will have to take a covid test every 3rd day you are there if you want to eat in a restaurant. I guess there is always takeout but I’m assuming most unvaccinated will skip Hawaii now, which is kinda the point I guess.
That's not good for some tourists coming to the islands. There are a number of al fresco food courts, roadside shacks selling local food ( I've tried them and they are all good while I was there ) and can save one money while there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's not good for some tourists coming to the islands. There are a number of al fresco food courts, roadside shacks selling local food ( I've tried them and they are all good while I was there ) and can save one money while there.
Yeah, it’s pretty bad if you aren’t vaccinated. Duke’s in Waikiki is one of the famous restaurants and I saw that they were calling everyone who had a reservation personally to explain the rules and they were giving out locations where people could get a free covid test nearby. Nothing says tropical paradise getaway like a covid test every other day 🥴. From what I read this is an emergency measure that goes for 60 days to slow the spread and could end after that. Aulani probably doesn’t want to deal with the burden of checking proof of vaccination so they are banning anyone not staying there from restaurants. They have proof of vaccination at checkin so it’s not an inconvenience at all for vaccinated hotel guests. I wonder if they offer on site covid testing.

DisneyCane

It will be interesting to see if WDW resorts will follow Aulani. Aulani is now requiring guests who eat in all dining areas to have proof of vaccination or negative covid test result in the last 48 hours. Also non Aulani guests including locals had the opportunity to eat in all Aulani dining locations. That is no longer.

I would be surprised if WDW did the same as Aulani simply due to the logistics of enforcement.
I agree that I doubt they would want to do this. I think it would be legal since the FL law does not prohibit businesses from asking for a negative COVID test for entry. Proof of vaccination would be an opt out of the test requirement so they wouldn't be refusing service to anybody without proof of vaccination or post infection recovery.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that I doubt they would want to do this. I think it would be legal since the FL law does not prohibit businesses from asking for a negative COVID test for entry. Proof of vaccination would be an opt out of the test requirement so they wouldn't be refusing service to anybody without proof of vaccination or post infection recovery.
If they wanted to do it they could set it up that way. It would require some logistics for sure and they would have to offer on site covid testing for the unvaccinated which seems like a huge negative to that plan. They would need an app most likely to show you are ‘green’ for entering a restaurant or theme park. ’Green‘ would be established if you showed proof of vaccination or if you had a negative covid test. If they made the interval 48 hours they would have to offer on site testing for unvaccinated guests. I assume it would also exclude kids under 12.

Lilofan

Yeah, it’s pretty bad if you aren’t vaccinated. Duke’s in Waikiki is one of the famous restaurants and I saw that they were calling everyone who had a reservation personally to explain the rules and they were giving out locations where people could get a free covid test nearby. Nothing says tropical paradise getaway like a covid test every other day 🥴. From what I read this is an emergency measure that goes for 60 days to slow the spread and could end after that. Aulani probably doesn’t want to deal with the burden of checking proof of vaccination so they are banning anyone not staying there from restaurants. They have proof of vaccination at checkin so it’s not an inconvenience at all for vaccinated hotel guests. I wonder if they offer on site covid testing.
Don't be like the Casey family from Chicago. They flew to Hawaii for a vacation and HI airport staff said they tried showing them an antigen test. Their options were to quarantine for 10 days , fly back home, fly to CA to get a covid test at an approved facility and fly back to HI and start their vacation. The Casey family decided to get a flight back to Chicago and go back home instead.

Kevin_W

But it is good news for many tourists. One of the reasons I was quite comfortable visiting Hawaii last month was knowing that everyone on the place with me had either been vaccinated or had tested negative within the past 3 days.

Kevin_W

Don't be like the Casey family from Chicago. They flew to Hawaii for a vacation and HI airport staff said they tried showing them an antigen test. Their options were to quarantine for 10 days , fly back home, fly to CA to get a covid test at an approved facility and fly back to HI and start their vacation. The Casey family decided to get a flight back to Chicago and go back home instead.

Yes, don't be like the Casey family. Understand the travel requirements before you travel! I lost count of the number of emails we had informing us of the necessary requirements. And American Airlines had people checking you before you ever got on the plane to Hawaii. If you show up without the right documentation, that's on you.

Heppenheimer

How do you persuade somebody who thinks the mRNA vaccines alter their DNA? Or that thinks side effects can pop up 10 years down the road? If you've had success please share your technique.
For the DNA question, this is where having knowledge of molecular biology comes in. DNA is the template for mRNA, but the opposite is not true. Let's use an old-fashioned printing press as an analogy. And to make it more on-point, let's say that press is printing out detailed instructions for producing a specific widget. DNA functions as the typeset, which imprints the set of instructions (the mRNA) onto a piece of paper, then a craftsman (the ribosome) reads the instructions to make the widget (the protein). Putting a new, pre-printed set of instructions into the press can't change the typeset. It only goes in one direction. The same is true with the relationship between DNA and mRNA. mRNA can not alter DNA. This is true with every living cell known to science and is one of the fundamental concepts of modern biology, with only one exception- cells infected with a retrovirus, such as HIV or the Human T-lymphotrophic virus (HTLV), which have their own enzyme, reverse transcriptase, that can transcribe DNA from the virus' RNA. Otherwise, fearing that mRNA can alter DNA is like fearing that the sun might rise in the west, or that gravity might reverse and cause objects to fall up. It simply doesn't happen.

So, basically, I use the printing press analogy, and that seems to work with most people.

We've been over the "side effects 10 years down the road" question enough times already.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I hope they doing vaccine mandates for trains next soon like NJ Transit and Amtrak by end of the year or early 2022.

...Looks like this is getting too push Biden's COVID vaccine mandates....o_O

I hope next year will be much better, as after the pandemic is finally over, let's see how future vaccines will get quicker developing before next future pandemic in the future.

I've got a bad feeling about this, R2-D2, this is getting a more nightmare than Delta variant.:eek::eek::eek:

DisneyCane

For the DNA question, this is where having knowledge of molecular biology comes in. DNA is the template for mRNA, but the opposite is not true. Let's use an old-fashioned printing press as an analogy. And to make it more on-point, let's say that press is printing out detailed instructions for producing a specific widget. DNA functions as the typeset, which imprints the set of instructions (the mRNA) onto a piece of paper, then a craftsman (the ribosome) reads the instructions to make the widget (the protein). Putting a new, pre-printed set of instructions into the press can't change the typeset. It only goes in one direction. The same is true with the relationship between DNA and mRNA. mRNA can not alter DNA. This is true with every living cell known to science and is one of the fundamental concepts of modern biology, with only one exception- cells infected with a retrovirus, such as HIV or the Human T-lymphotrophic virus (HTLV), which have their own enzyme, reverse transcriptase, that can transcribe DNA from the virus' RNA. Otherwise, fearing that mRNA can alter DNA is like fearing that the sun might rise in the west, or that gravity might reverse and cause objects to fall up. It simply doesn't happen.

So, basically, I use the printing press analogy, and that seems to work with most people.

We've been over the "side effects 10 years down the road" question enough times already.
That's a good way to try and explain it. I'll try that next time somebody says that to me and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom