Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

I caught this on the BBC today:

Beyond the thrust of the article about the British government cancelling the contract with the manufacturer, of more broad interest is the Valneva vaccine itself. I don't know if any regulatory body has yet approved this particular vaccine, but if it ever makes it to the US, it can provide an alternative to those who claim they refuse the vaccine because the technologies behind Pfizer-BIONTECH, Moderna and Jansen's vaccines are "too new". Valneva takes advantage of the standard technique of using a "killed" pathogen, which has been successfully and safely deployed since the 1800s.

Without taking a deeper internet dive than I have the time for, I could not find any published data on this vaccine's efficacy, and it doesn't look like the company has any immediate plans to submit their product for FDA review. But it would be nice to have another option to counter the "it's too new" arguments, although that will almost certainly be followed by other new excuse on why they can't get even this vaccine.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Beyond the thrust of the article about the British government cancelling the contract with the manufacturer, of more broad interest is the Valneva vaccine itself. I don't know if any regulatory body has yet approved this particular vaccine, but if it ever makes it to the US, it can provide an alternative to those who claim they refuse the vaccine because the technologies behind Pfizer-BIONTECH, Moderna and Jansen's vaccines are "too new". Valneva takes advantage of the standard technique of using a "killed" pathogen, which has been successfully and safely deployed since the 1800s.

Without taking a deeper internet dive than I have the time for, I could not find any published data on this vaccine's efficacy, and it doesn't look like the company has any immediate plans to submit their product for FDA review. But it would be nice to have another option to counter the "it's too new" arguments, although that will almost certainly be followed by other new excuse on why they can't get even this vaccine.
I thought that is why the J & J vaccine was approved in the US as well, because it doesn't use the mRna technology.

mmascari

I thought that is why the J & J vaccine was approved in the US as well, because it doesn't use the mRna technology.
J&J doesn't use mRNA, but it's still different and isn't an inactivated COVID virus, it's a third thing.

First google hit:

Instead of using mRNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses a disabled adenovirus to deliver the instructions. This adenovirus is in no way related to the coronavirus. It is a completely different virus. Although it can deliver the instructions on how to defeat the coronavirus, it can’t replicate in your body and will not give you a viral infection.

Heppenheimer

That wasn't the reason "why" (it received EAU because the company applied and submitted compelling data), but J&J still uses a relatively novel technique of a "replication-incompetent adenovirus" as the delivery mechanism. Without looking it up, I don't believe J&J's was the first time this particular technique was used in a vaccine, but it may have either been the first approved, or the first widely distributed.

mmascari

Doing your own Vaccine Research

And for those dealing with caring for a loved one at home. I've found this comic relatable about Scott's journey with his father after a stroke. At least relatable to me, my father in law passed from MS a number of years ago they're eerily relatable to the time right before.

Link to first one in series (it's still ongoing and not his normal comic):

lazyboy97o

I’m sure some of these people would claim Jenner’s technology is “too new” and “we don’t know enough about the long term effects”. How do we know the smallpox vaccine doesn’t cause zombism after 250 years?
That wasn't the reason "why" (it received EAU because the company applied and submitted compelling data), but J&J still uses a relatively novel technique of a "replication-incompetent adenovirus" as the delivery mechanism. Without looking it up, I don't believe J&J's was the first time this particular technique was used in a vaccine, but it may have either been the first approved, or the first widely distributed.
Their Ebola vaccine uses the same technology.

The current mandate is set to expire in January 2022, but no one knows if they will extend it again. Doubtful they will remove the mandate before then unless every county in the country is in the green. Fauci said this weekend he supports requirements to be vaccinated in order to fly so that is also a possibility.
Best projection is December 2022.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At this point, anyone who still pushes the “children aren’t affected by this” mythical nonsense is not even worth arguing with. They are burying their heads in the sand for whatever reason, just ignore the trolling.
Good advice. I got caught up in it last night and realized it was either intentional trolling (most likely) or maybe just a head in the sand. Best to move on.

Kevin_W

But it would be nice to have another option to counter the "it's too new" arguments, although that will almost certainly be followed by other new excuse on why they can't get even this vaccine.

I disagree with you on this point. "It's too new" may be convenient to say, but I don't know anyone that is holding out that would actually be swayed by a different vaccine.

Heppenheimer

I’m sure some of these people would claim Jenner’s technology is “too new” and “we don’t know enough about the long term effects”. How do we know the smallpox vaccine doesn’t cause zombism after 250 years?

Their Ebola vaccine uses the same technology.
So what you're saying is that it's not a coincidence that zombie and vampire "fiction" (that's what "they" want us to believe) have been so popular within the last 20 years?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I disagree with you on this point. "It's too new" may be convenient to say, but I don't know anyone that is holding out that would actually be swayed by a different vaccine.
I have an uncle who says he won’t get the mRNA vaccines because they are too new. He claims he signed up for JnJ but they aren’t giving it out anywhere now. I sent him multiple links to sights that still had JnJ in PA. I never heard anything back. It’s just an excuse. He also said in the past he would get an mRNA vaccine when they got full approval. Full approval came and he’s still unvaccinated.

Heppenheimer

Some are clearly using this as a convenient excuse or a mental crutch to support their less logical objections. Usually those who are legitimately concerned about the "newness" of the mRNA and adenovirus techniques can be persuaded once you explain that the technologies have been deployed for at least 20 years.

DisneyCane

Some are clearly using this as a convenient excuse or a mental crutch to support their less logical objections. Usually those who are legitimately concerned about the "newness" of the mRNA and adenovirus techniques can be persuaded once you explain that the technologies have been deployed for at least 20 years.
How do you persuade somebody who thinks the mRNA vaccines alter their DNA? Or that thinks side effects can pop up 10 years down the road? If you've had success please share your technique.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How do you persuade somebody who thinks the mRNA vaccines alter their DNA? Or that thinks side effects can pop up 10 years down the road? If you've had success please share your technique.
It’s a good question and difficult to do successfully. One thing I think everyone should do is dispute the false statements and do it calmly and with facts and referenced material. Don’t make it an argument, make it a discussion. Ask them detailed questions about what they believe is true. One of the dangers of today’s society is the social media echo chamber and sometimes it’s beneficial for people to hear something different then what they are being surrounded by. They most likely won’t change their mind on the spot but it may sink in eventually or at least get them thinking more critically instead of just assuming everything they hear on social media is true.

Lilofan

It will be interesting to see if WDW resorts will follow Aulani. Aulani is now requiring guests who eat in all dining areas to have proof of vaccination or negative covid test result in the last 48 hours. Also non Aulani guests including locals had the opportunity to eat in all Aulani dining locations. That is no longer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It will be interesting to see if WDW resorts will follow Aulani. Aulani is now requiring guests who eat in all dining areas to have proof of vaccination or negative covid test result in the last 48 hours. Also non Aulani guests including locals had the opportunity to eat in all Aulani dining locations. That is no longer.
My guess is very few locals were eating at those restaurants. To visit Hawaii from out of state you either need proof of vaccination or a negative test to get out of quarantining upon arriving. The interesting part is if your covid test was before leaving the mainland and you are more than 48 hours past the test and into your trip you would need another negative test to eat there. That‘s probably the biggest change. Most hotels are requiring the proof at check in. I hadn’t heard a lot of restaurants doing it.

Edit: it’s actually required starting yesterday.

maui2k7

My guess is very few locals were eating at those restaurants. To visit Hawaii from out of state you either need proof of vaccination or a negative test to get out of quarantining upon arriving. The interesting part is if your covid test was before leaving the mainland and you are more than 48 hours past the test and into your trip you would need another negative test to eat there. That‘s probably the biggest change. Most hotels are requiring the proof at check in. I hadn’t heard a lot of restaurants doing it.

Edit: it’s actually required starting yesterday.
I would be surprised if WDW did the same as Aulani simply due to the logistics of enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom