Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heelz2315

Disney could remove them now (or not have reinstated them) so obviously Disney doesn't want to remove them. Universal doesn't require them.
I think WDW is the ONLY theme park going by what the OC Mayer/Emergency Management Office does. UE, and SW don't. I don't believe the CDC will hand out any more recommendations any time soon, and that's who Disney had mirrored before. So it'll be up to the Theme Parks and/or whomever they deem "in the know" to make safe medical determinations on them park mask requirements.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think WDW is the ONLY theme park going by what the OC Mayer/Emergency Management Office does. UE, and SW don't. I don't believe the CDC will hand out any more recommendations any time soon, and that's who Disney had mirrored before. So it'll be up to the Theme Parks and/or whomever they deem "in the know" to make safe medical determinations on them park mask requirements.
Maybe they’ll institute Mask-Free+. For $79.48
per person per day, you can pay to remove your mask indoors.

Tony the Tigger

Disney is going along with what the mayor of OC and the white house/CDC say to do. As for the goal posts analogy, it used to be herd immunity when 60% are either recovered or vaccinated. Now only those who are vaccinated are considered immune and they want to get above 80% and next a third dose plus now looking at vaccine mandates for airplane travel.

My point is, we have no clue when the government, be it local or federal, will update what they say we need to do next. Don't wear a mask, then wear a mask, then don't wear a mask if you are vaccinated, then wear a mask if your vaccinated to the latest today of "get vaccinated to protect the vaccinated".
This is not what "moving the goal posts" means. It's typically used in the pejorative to insinuate someone is behaving disingenuously to cause you to miss a previously established goal.

That's not what's happening here. There are projections of what's expected to happen, and then there's what actually happens. We have to adjust to meet the circumstances that actually exist.

Two things happened to change "what we were told" (which was never written in stone.) 1. Not enough people voluntarily got vaccinated. 2. Because of #1, Delta had a disproportionate effect on things vs. what the original virus would have done.

You can look both ways before crossing the street and decide it's safe to go. You still have to keep your ears open in case someone comes tearing around a corner and is going to hit you.

Weather_Lady

OSHA rules have been, until this point, post employment work rules. Now OSHA rules are pre employment work rules. Big difference.

Additionally, the Justice system was predicated on the principle of guaranteeing Life, Liberty, and Pusuit of Happiness except when ruled by a court if law.

The Judicial system can by trial by a jury:
Take life, in case of capital punishment
Take your money
Incarcerate you

Now by executive decree, you can lose your livelihood without trial.
Respectfully, no.

The right of businesses to mandate vaccinations or testing for workers where consistent with business necessity, and the power of the federal government to mandate vaccinations for the cause of public health, are well-settled. Neither one is unconstitutional or runs afoul of due process. (And before anybody tries to object with information they found in a Google search or heard on their favorite podcast, let me preface this by mentioning that I'm a lawyer and federal judicial employee with 20+ years of experience in this area.)

The fact is that under federal law, employers have, and have always had, the right to fire at will employees for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all, with the only exceptions being for legally protected categories (gender, race, age, disability), which do not include vaccination status.

Last edited:

mmascari

Come on 5%!!!! :) I want to go with NO masks before the year is out :)

How could they move them? And to what metric? I think Disney would like to remove them.
They should switch the metric. Using Percent Positivity as the metric for masks was always silly. It's a great metric to determine if you're testing enough and doing enough contact tracing. That's about it though. It tells you how good the rest of the metrics are or if you're missing lots of data. Which, over 5% means you're not. Over 10% means you're really really not getting all the cases and the rest of the metrics are going to be low.

Assuming they stick with the CDC, the metric will be "Level of Community Transmission" and the target will be Low or Moderate. I could see them going back to the honor system at Substantial, but a safety focused target would be Low or Moderate.

If it was me, ideally, holding Low or Moderate for a week. Something like after 7 days at Moderate, masks off, go wild. After 2 days back at Substantial, masks back on until you get 7 days at Moderate again.

If you want to be really safety super conservative, 7 days at Low before Masks off. Then back on the first day you're back at Substantial. Meaning, masks on while descending through Moderate and masks off while rising through Moderate. This way it's not a daily or weekly flip flop back and forth near the edges.

I think Theme Park Peer Pressure will make Disney less conservative than I would be. We'll know when we know.

Heppenheimer

Respectfully, no.

The right of businesses to mandate vaccinations or testing for workers where consistent with business necessity, and the power of the federal government to mandate vaccinations for the cause of public health, are well-settled. Neither one is unconstitutional or runs afoul of due process. (And before anybody tries to object with information they found in a Google search or heard on their favorite podcast, let me preface this by mentioning that I'm a lawyer and federal judicial employee with 20+ years of experience in this area.)

The fact is that employers have, and have always had, the right to fire at will employees for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all, with the only exceptions being for constitutionally protected categories (gender, race, age, disability), which do not include vaccination status.
People have been making up their own medical "facts" over the past year and half, so it doesn't surprise me that now we're reading dubious legal "facts". The divergence in results between the vaccinated and unvaccinated widens on a daily basis and becomes almost impossible for all but the most hardened anti-vaxxers to admit, such that I can't help notice that we have fewer ill-fated attempts to refute the vaccine using dubious medical reasoning. I guess we're now moving into the next phase, which is to try legal arguments against vaccine mandates. I'm glad we have a few attorneys lurking about to explain the relevant laws.

mmascari

The divergence in results between the vaccinated and unvaccinated widens on a daily basis and becomes almost impossible for all but the most hardened anti-vaxxers to admit
Unfortunately, it's almost impossible for people who treated COVID as nothing and dismissed the vaccine for the last 18 months to acknowledge that difference too. Acknowledging it means coming to terms with the fact that they spent all that time being wrong. That's a really hard self realization to come to. There's that huge sunk cost of time, self perception, and understanding.

This is part of the reason we need ways to get these people vaccinated that don't involve them dealing with that disconnect. Mandated for work/entertainment/whatever out, great they get vaccinated now because they "have" to. They'll never need to come to terms with being wrong. It's a win-win for stopping COVID spread. They get protected, we get less people unvaccinated, transmission will go down. Everybody wins.

It's a skip out and delay for dealing with the differences and reasons they spent the last year ignoring it. But, frankly, I don't care anymore. Let's solve the disease problem first. We can deal with the rest later. Or, just keep ignoring that too for now. Whatever "works". :)

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Monday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 23,930 more COVID-19 cases and 968 deaths, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data.

Case and death data was not reported Sunday by the CDC, so what was reported Monday was two days worth of data. In this most recent phase of the pandemic, Florida through the CDC has reported deaths in Monday and Thursday clumps.

All but 88 of the newly reported deaths — about 91% — occurred since Aug. 16, according to the Herald analysis. About 57% of the newly reported died in the past two weeks, the analysis showed. The majority of deaths happened during Florida’s latest surge in COVID-19 cases, fueled by the delta variant."

"In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 325 deaths and 12,465 cases to the daily cumulative total, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Monday report, there were 11,547 COVID-19 patients reported from 257 Florida hospitals.

That’s 154 fewer patients than Sunday’s report from 259 hospitals. In Monday’s report, COVID-19 patients take up 20.01% of all inpatient hospital beds compared to 20.06% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,796 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 32 from the previous day’s report. That represents 42.51% of the ICU hospital beds at the 257 hospitals reporting data, compared to 43.22% the previous day."

carolina_yankee

Disney is going along with what the mayor of OC and the white house/CDC say to do. As for the goal posts analogy, it used to be herd immunity when 60% are either recovered or vaccinated. Now only those who are vaccinated are considered immune and they want to get above 80% and next a third dose plus now looking at vaccine mandates for airplane travel.

My point is, we have no clue when the government, be it local or federal, will update what they say we need to do next. Don't wear a mask, then wear a mask, then don't wear a mask if you are vaccinated, then wear a mask if your vaccinated to the latest today of "get vaccinated to protect the vaccinated".

I feel like you don't understand how difficult it is to create policy on the fly for a disease no one truly understands that is evolving. Especially when you have the advantage of hindsight.

Any theory of herd immunity or other form of safety is based on the behavior of the virus. The virus is a living organism, which means it adapts. Goalposts are based on safety and are set based on the best known current information. They are moved because the virus changes its behavior, not because some entity or individual wants to say “Psych!”

The need for masking will not go away until community spread goes away or the virus doesn’t risk making people critically ill. Just because people unmask doesn’t mean the need for masking has gone away.

The virus sets the timelines. We have tools to protect ourselves, but using them is tied to political affiliation, so I have zero predictions (or confidence) that anything meaningful will change. Instead, we’ll learn how to adapt and function with the risk.

maui2k7

Any theory of herd immunity or other form of safety is based on the behavior of the virus. The virus is a living organism, which means it adapts. Goalposts are based on safety and are set based on the best known current information. They are moved because the virus changes its behavior, not because some entity or individual wants to say “Psych!”

The need for masking will not go away until community spread goes away or the virus doesn’t risk making people critically ill. Just because people unmask doesn’t mean the need for masking has gone away.

The virus sets the timelines. We have tools to protect ourselves, but using them is tied to political affiliation, so I have zero predictions (or confidence) that anything meaningful will change. Instead, we’ll learn how to adapt and function with the risk.
The virus will end up being endemic. It’s not going to go away and at some point we have to learn to live with the risk. Those who get vaccinated (myself and family included) are better protected. Those that do not get vaccinated are more at risk and at this point they know it. Soon, probably in late Oct, 5-11 yr olds will be eligible for Pfizer. We will never get to 100% vaccinated. We are currently at 76% of adults with their first shot which is higher than they thought we would get to initially.

mmascari

It’s not going to go away and at some point we have to learn to live with the risk. Those who get vaccinated (myself and family included) are better protected. Those that do not get vaccinated are more at risk and at this point they know it.

It doesn't specifically say if he was vaccinated or not, but it reads like he was. Not that it matters, COVID didn't kill him. He wasn't able to learn to live with the risk in the community though.

Touchdown

It doesn't specifically say if he was vaccinated or not, but it reads like he was. Not that it matters, COVID didn't kill him. He wasn't able to learn to live with the risk in the community though.
Covid did kill him, or rather the reckless disregard for life displayed by the unvaccinated.

Polkadotdress

A different news story confirms that he was vaxx’d, which makes his death all the more senseless.

mmascari

Covid did kill him, or rather the reckless disregard for life displayed by the unvaccinated.
True. But, I didn't want anyone to get into a fight about if he died "of" COVID, or "with" COVID.

Since everyone knows you're not really dead if it's just "with" instead of "of".

He 100% did die because of an "impact from" COVID, even if it wasn't a virus impact to his specific cells.

It's super sad.

maui2k7

Have there been any known (in the news) significant outbreaks among cast/team members at either WDW or Universal?

They have different approaches to masking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom