Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In a continuing downward swing, 11,701 people are hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida, according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services report on Sunday from 259 Florida hospitals.

That’s 521 fewer patients than Saturday’s report from 260 hospitals, and 950 fewer patients than Friday’s from 261 hospitals.

"In Sunday’s report, COVID-19 patients take up 20.06% of all inpatient hospital beds compared to 20.75% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,828 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 57 for the second consecutive day. That represents 43.22% of the ICU hospital beds at the 259 hospitals reporting data, compared to 43.58% the previous day.

What’s not clear is if these continued decreases are because this COVID-19 wave is ebbing or because some of the people in the recent hospitalization spike are now part of the death toll reported over the last two weeks."

"About 11,809,414 eligible Floridians — 55% of the state’s population — have completed the two-dose series of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or have completed Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose vaccine, according to the CDC."

Well….there are only 2 ways to make it out of the hospital :( The cases do legitimately look like they are trending down (not just a holiday drop in testing). God willing that trend continues and FL hospitals continue to get some relief.

Timmay

If someone disagrees with the current approach it’s more than fair to ask what the alternative is.

You don’t give one, under the guise of “having a life”, so your opposition has no basis.
Those two paragraphs are completely different things. People can be opposed to something and not have an alternative ready to present without the opposition having “no basis.” We may not agree with the opposition, but let’s stop making such broad generalizations.

Wendy Pleakley

Those two paragraphs are completely different things. People can be opposed to something and not have an alternative ready to present without the opposition having “no basis.” We may not agree with the opposition, but let’s stop making such broad generalizations.

As has been pointed out, many many things have been tried in terms of getting people vaccinated.

Merely being protected from a dangerous virus wasn't enough for some people. Protecting others as well as oneself wasn't enough. Lotteries wasn't enough. Removing mask mandates wasn't enough.

Now we're onto things like making vaccination a requirement for employment, or attending leisure destinations.

If people are still opposed to any or all of these steps, what's next? I don't know doesn't cut it.

If one can't suggest an alternative, are they even part of the conversation? The rest of us will continue to push for things that might work, not just throw our hands up in the air and give up.

Vegas Disney Fan

What’s not clear is if these continued decreases are because this COVID-19 wave is ebbing or because some of the people in the recent hospitalization spike are now part of the death toll reported over the last two weeks.

Probably more to do with the uptick in the vaccination rate and the 15,000 people a day who got sick and now have some form of natural immunity.

55% of the state are now vaccinated and probably another 25% have had the virus, it’s not the ideal way to get immunity but for those that survived it works.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That should have been a requirement from day one.
So far that’s the one part of the new plan that isn’t an actual requirement. In his speech Biden did say he would encourage states and businesses to require proof of vaccination for large group gatherings but there isn’t anything concrete that I saw in there requiring it. I don’t know if there is even authority for the Federal government to actually require private businesses to ask for proof of vaccination.

Timmay

As has been pointed out, many many things have been tried in terms of getting people vaccinated.

Merely being protected from a dangerous virus wasn't enough for some people. Protecting others as well as oneself wasn't enough. Lotteries wasn't enough. Removing mask mandates wasn't enough.

Now we're onto things like making vaccination a requirement for employment, or attending leisure destinations.

If people are still opposed to any or all of these steps, what's next? I don't know doesn't cut it.

If one can't suggest an alternative, are they even part of the conversation? The rest of us will continue to push for things that might work, not just throw our hands up in the air and give up.
Great. Still doesn’t mean someone’s opposition to something has no basis simply because they offer no alternative. We may find the opposition unthinkable and easily dismissed…but that still doesn’t equate to it having no basis.

Figgy1

Premium Member
My step-dad went to the Dr. Friday because he's been having low fever and running nose for a week now. He's early 70s, vaccinated, and works at Home Depot with a mask. Doctor didn't with do a covid test because he said likelihood of a breakthrough case is minimal and said it's just allergies. Are the chances pretty low? Sure, but not exactly comforting to make an assumption given his age and if the 8 month vaccination period holds, he's due for a booster next week.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just the usual pita seasonal allergies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great. Still doesn’t mean someone’s opposition to something has no basis simply because they offer no alternative. We may find the opposition unthinkable and easily dismissed…but that still doesn’t equate to it having no basis.
I think for me this Is the situation. We have a completely unacceptable situation with covid right now. The status quo is not an option. The current administration is trying something new. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn‘t but we need to try something. When someone says they don’t like this plan that’s a fair opinion to have, but it’s also fair to ask what them what the alternative should be. Based on the posting history of the person involved and the answer given I assume they feel the status quo is fine and we don’t need a new plan. To me that’s unacceptable, but I suppose that’s just my opinion and someone could legitimately feel that way. Good thing the people in charge aren’t going with the status quo.

Timmay

I think for me this Is the situation. We have a completely unacceptable situation with covid right now. The status quo is not an option. The current administration is trying something new. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn‘t but we need to try something. When someone says they don’t like this plan that’s a fair opinion to have, but it’s also fair to ask what them what the alternative should be. Based on the posting history of the person involved and the answer given I assume they feel the status quo is fine and we don’t need a new plan. To me that’s unacceptable, but I suppose that’s just my opinion and someone could legitimately feel that way. Good thing the people in charge aren’t going with the status quo.
Well, I do keep saying we need a clear and definable goal. I personally am more apt to get fully behind most anything that does. To me that’s what gives something legitimacy, and I suppose proves we are all different.

Nubs70

The answer is not a mandate via executive order. Follow the established Constitional process.

dovetail65

There's nothing unconstitutional about Biden's actions. There's also nothing stopping congress from acting too.
Exactly, he is not mandating a needle in the arm he is mandating that if one does not get the vaccine that they only get tested.
I had FOX on 8 hours today and guess what they yelled andscreamed all day long, but forgot to mention to their listeners that anyone that does not want to get vaccinated only needs get tested once a week, which happens to be free in 90% of all states! My daughter got a free 1 day rapid test yesterday, no big deal!

The answer is not a mandate via executive order. Follow the established Constitutional process.
WRONG, the Feds have been doing it for more 100 years! Vaccinations are as American as Apple pie.

1905 Supreme court stated Vaccination can be mandatory:

Supreme court reiterates it again in 1922 applying it to schools:

Small Pox History:

Vaccination mandates In school since the 1850's:

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's nothing unconstitutional about Biden's actions. There's also nothing stopping congress from acting too.
It’s like talking to a wall. Some people think if they say it enough times it’s true. At this point let the lawsuits be filed and the courts decide. Many companies are in the process of changing their policies already and are very happy to have the backing of the Federal government to support a policy that will help keep their workers safe and keep workers on site being productive. Having this requirement is a big help for companies that feared they could lose some workers if they mandated vaccinations. Now its even playing field for everyone unless you are a very small business. It’s a big win for large companies.

Nubs70

OSHA rules have been, until this point, post employment work rules. Now OSHA rules are pre employment work rules. Big difference.

Additionally, the Justice system was predicated on the principle of guaranteeing Life, Liberty, and Pusuit of Happiness except when ruled by a court if law.

The Judicial system can by trial by a jury:
Take life, in case of capital punishment
Take your money
Incarcerate you

Now by executive decree, you can lose your livelihood without trial.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OSHA rules have been, until this point, post employment work rules. Now OSHA rules are pre employment work rules. Big difference.

Additionally, the Justice system was predicated on the principle of guaranteeing Life, Liberty, and Pusuit of Happiness except when ruled by a court if law.

Take your money
Incarcerate you

The OSHA rule (which we haven’t even seen yet) is expected to require employers to test employees weekly for Covid and will allow an exception for fully vaccinated people to not be tested. It has no bearing on pre-employment work rules. There’s nothing that prevents a company from hiring an unvaccinated person and there’s nothing to prevent a company from keeping an unvaccinated worker who chooses to be tested weekly. What you are saying is pure fantasy.

Chi84

Premium Member

Take your money
Incarcerate you

You always could lose your job without any type of legal process. Most employment is at will, which means you can be fired for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all unless you are in a class of persons protected against discrimination. Examples of protected classes include race, age, disability and such. Unvaccinated people are not a protected class. There is no right to continue in a job.

Tony the Tigger

I don't care how it's done at this point. You all got shots as kids, the only difference is now you're aware of it. And some are crying just as loudly as they did as babies.

You'd think we were asking people to cut off a toe.

The country has demonstrated it can't act in it's own best self-interest. Therefore, we must make laws for the lowest common denominator, per usual.

If you think rights are being violated, you don't know what either of those words mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom