Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

That would be okay if not for his COS Klain basically retweeting that he’s using OSHA as a way to circumvent things. IMO that is going to come back to bite.
Certain news outlets are trying hard to make this some sort of grand “gotcha” moment. Which it is not.

In the interest of public safety and the health and welfare of the nation, the administration is responsibly doing everything within its power— and within the limits of that power — to get the vaccine into as many arms as possible. Yet obstructionists now predictably complain about the spectre of “mandates.” After dragging their heels and spreading fear, uncertainty, and disinformation about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines that were offered voluntarily and free of charge months ago to anyone who wanted them. Almost as if this the very fight they wanted.

Meanwhile, the willing unvaccinated continue to die, dragging out pain, suffering and uncertainty for everyone in the process, and putting our children, elderly and vulnerable at ongoing risk. Please consider that the administration’s actions would not have been necessary had folks stepped up to do the right thing in the first place. But that didn’t happen. So now the administration is simply doing what any reasonable American has and should always expect them to do: take responsible steps to keep Americans safe.

Why some folks (not pointing to anyone here) would want to continue to drag this thing out just to “win” at something seems to defy logic and common sense.

Patcheslee

As far as third parties, yes, any contractor who does work for Department of Defense or the Justice Department or Homeland Security or any other department that rolls up under the executive branch is included. Any who work for a department outside of the executive branch are not.
This is where our union is concerned about the language given, and really it's going to come down to what the business interprets and whether the union agrees.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair enough. My problem isn’t with the vaccine. It’s with the mandate.

If someone told me- “Here, take two shots and protect yourself”. Okay. Seems reasonable

But if somebody is telling me “Hey, take a few shots - cause I’m going to force you to”. My first response. Ok. Well, my second response would be “Okay, how many?” To which the reply right now is - “not sure”.
Outside of the Federal workers nobody will be mandated to take the vaccine by the government. You can either take a weekly test or take the vaccine If you work for an employer covered by OSHA. You are also free to get another job somewhere exempt from the requirement. There’s extensive legal precedent that allows an employer to mandate a vaccine for workers. That won’t be overturned.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

lazyboy97o

The rule will be coming from OSHA not the White House.
OSHA is part of the White House. It is an agency of the Department of Labor which is part of the executive branch.

Fair enough. My problem isn’t with the vaccine. It’s with the mandate.

If someone told me- “Here, take two shots and protect yourself”. Okay. Seems reasonable

But if somebody is telling me “Hey, take a few shots - cause I’m going to force you to”. My first response. Ok. Well, my second response would be “Okay, how many?” To which the reply right now is - “not sure”.
This already happens. OSHA is even allowed to change their mind. Once example is that every ladder with a cage eventually has to have a fall arrest system added and then have the cage removed. OSHA has decided something they once allowed is no longer allowed and owners have to pay for the changes.

RSoxNo1

I understand the need to be vaccinated. However, there are people like my brother who is told by his doctor he can't be because of his medical condition. Having universal rules with no exceptions is wrong. I believe those of us who can get vaccinated owe it to those who can't so we can't insult or exclude all those who are not vaccinated.
Unfortunately there are too many people who can get vaccinated that won't. I sympathize with your brother as I too have family members and friends that can't safely get vaccinated either due to age or underlying medical issues where their doctors said, "not yet". Those individuals understand the lousy hand they've been dealt and the adults amongst them recognize that it's the willingly unvaccinated that's prompting these rules. It sucks, but it seems to be the smartest decision in an awful situation.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Everyone is fine with mandates as long as they agree with them. The feds just said they would fine businesses for not following this new requirement. Should the state reimburse those businesses now? As I said. I think it’s all silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we all have to keep in mind that people’s health and lives are at stake here. These mandates that are so unjust and awful are attempts to save lives. A quarter of the deaths in FL from Covid have come after vaccines were readily available and the vast majority of them came in unvaccinated people. What else can be done to get more people vaccinated? To save more lives? We tried letting people decide for themselves. It didn’t work.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mrs

This is a Disney message board, not a Coronavirus message board. I'm not talking about just this one poster.

There is one like them every day. I'm not advocating silencing legitimate posters, but this topic particularly is not representative of the community. It's meant to protect the *rare* ones who are legitimately sincere. They'll have a much better welcome, integrating first elsewhere on this board.

Has anyone in the last year and a half started with their first post on this topic and became subsequently a legitimate community member elsewhere? I doubt it.
I just reviewed my post history. My first post wasn't on this thread but my posts 2 through 10 were right here. Not exactly what you asked, but I'd like to think I'm taken seriously. I've been treated as though I am, so thank you for not locking me out at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom