Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But can still contract,spread,and act as a selective mechanism.
I agree, but that’s a separate issue. When talking about a campaign to get people who don’t want to be vaccinated to decide to get vaccinated once they take the first dose they are flipped from the resistant column to the vaccinated column. I agree that it’s important they go back for dose 2 for full protection. When we look at 75% of adults with 1 shot that tells me that 25% of adults are still hesitant to get vaccinated for whatever reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To answer his question, no, society cannot continue in this manner for years and decades. It’s just not sustainable. I understand these may be things for now. But that isn’t what he asked.
We actually could continue in the manner he described for years if it was necessary. Will we….no, many people never took any real precautions from day 1 and won’t start now. We have had wars that lasted years where society was severely impacted. Food, gasoline and various goods were rationed, pro sports leagues even shut down. It’s certainly possible for our society to actually address the need in an emergency and curb our activity as needed but when a large enough percentage of people don’t think Covid is a big deal it won’t happen.

DisneyCane

On average 7600 people die in the US every day from all causes. With 100's of thousands of doses a day being administered, it's no surprising that those two statistics will line up occasionally.
This narrative that x number of people died within y amount of time of getting vaccinated is very ignorant. You could make the same statistic based off of people drinking a vegan smoothie and dying within 2 weeks.

bpiper

For your viewing pleasure: Here are breakthrough numbers for MA from the state's Covid-19 website.

1631112050069.png

The Mom

Premium Member
Correlation is not causation. If I get vaccinated and then hit by a bus, I wasn’t hit by the bus because I was vaccinated. There have not been thousands of deaths caused by the vaccines. Just like hospitals aren’t full of people with vaccine side effects or broken legs who just happen to test positive.
I have a friend who fell and broke his hip right after getting vaccinated because he was running a fever and was a little unsteady. Did the vaccine break his hip? No. Was it related to getting the vaccine - maybe, but anything that caused him to be unsteady, such as an uneven surface or scatter rug, could also have caused a fall. And the fact that he was getting up at night without turning on a light was, IMO, a greater contributor.

Timmay

Just a clarification.
Pro sports leagues in the US were not shut down during war time. The quality of players certainly changed, and some teams weren’t able to play some games due to lack of players, but shutting down has never happened. The only sport suspended was auto and motorcycle racing during WWII due to the gasoline rationing.

Heck, England continued football during WWII, even with the threat of enemy bombing.

Disney Experience

I have a friend who fell and broke his hip right after getting vaccinated because he was running a fever and was a little unsteady. Did the vaccine break his hip? No. Was it related to getting the vaccine - maybe, but anything that caused him to be unsteady, such as an uneven surface or scatter rug, could also have caused a fall. And the fact that he was getting up at night without turning on a light was, IMO, a greater contributor.
Not sure if the following counts as death by vaccine, but I think it does ( if causation is determined) .

In Japan three people died when injected with Moderna vaccine made defectively in Spain ( Metal from cap contaminated solution) . Of course the cause has nothing to do with the vaccine itself rathet manufacturing and QA The risk from covid is still worse than the risk of death from the manufacturing mistake.
But nothing is without risk, and technically people have died from “taking” the vaccine. ( Though article does mention it is not sure the bad batch was the cause )

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This narrative that x number of people died within y amount of time of getting vaccinated is very ignorant. You could make the same statistic based off of people drinking a vegan smoothie and dying within 2 weeks.

I read through some of the VAERS death reports at one point. Some are light on details, but I saw some where the person was clearly close to death before they got the vaccine and since the higher risks groups had a higher vaccination rate it only stands to reason that there would be some coincidental deaths in that group.

mmascari

If I get vaccinated and then hit by a bus, I wasn’t hit by the bus because I was vaccinated.
Are you sure? If you took some pain medication that made you drowsy, slowed you down and caused you to not see the bus? Sounds like it's a direct cause at the start of the event chain. 🤔
Did someone tell him the vaccine gives you better night vision? Sounds like he was "mislead" into leaving the light off. Now we have to worry about broken hips and busses. 🤔
You could make the same statistic based off of people drinking a vegan smoothie and dying within 2 weeks.
That's just "wonderful", now we have to add vegan smoothie to the list along with bus and not enhancing night vision.

When will it ever end! 🤯

mmascari

Ok. On the flip side the data is clear as day that if you are fully vaccinated per current guidance for doses, it reduces your chance of having a severe COVID illness to nearly zero. According to the CDC data through Friday, 2,650 people out of 173 million "fully vaccinated" have ended up in the hospital due to COVID to date. That's in the middle of a huge spike in some states. That's 0.0015% who are fully vaccinated that have ended up in the hospital.

Therefore, from the standpoint of being protected from a concerning illness, it statistically does not matter to a vaccinated person if somebody else is unvaccinated.
Can you correlate those statistics against current community spread levels at the time they were infected? How many of those were in areas in the middle of a huge spike vs in other areas? Then normalized for population vs raw numbers. :)

None of these things are "safe" vs "not safe" or "protected" vs "not protected". As @Heppenheimer points out, everything either "reduces risk" or "increases risk". The vaccine is a HUGE risk reduction item. Low spread is a risk reduction item. Rampant uncontrolled spread and a large percentage of unvaccinated people keeping that spread active is a huge increased risk. Other things nudge the risk up or down, but clearly vaccination has the largest impact.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Adding to @Touchdown ’s post, here’s another Tweet that highlights exactly how well FL is doing.

We are “winning” in all the wrong ways.

I hope the pandemic will be finally over next year as no more new strains will evade vaccines as immunity then we'll go back to square one. I just don't that happen next year or now. Is really gonna happen for new strain to evade vaccinated people or not?

Nubs70

I hope the pandemic will be finally over next year as no more new strains will evade vaccines as immunity then we'll go back to square one. I just don't that happen next year or now. Is really gonna happen for new strain to evade vaccinated people or not?
Every vaccinated person is a potential selection filter that can spin off a variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom