Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

"Florida reported 26,203 more COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

The state also reported nine new deaths the day before. In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,130,144 confirmed COVID cases statewide and 42,731 deaths.

There were 17,164 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Wednesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 233 Florida hospitals. That is 76 more patients than Tuesday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 30.85% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,634 people were in intensive care unit beds, an increase of 77. That represents 53.91% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 233 hospitals reporting data."

Uhhh.. new case count record?
1629924164905.png

Timmay

Thanks. I was hoping for a lower dose (the article I read that talked about a 1/2 dose specifically said it still provoked a good immune response with less side effects). The day after the 2nd dose was not particularly fun for anyone in my family; if boosters end up being needed I'd prefer not to repeat that.
There’s some confusion about boosters and third doses going around. A third dose and a booster are not the same.

A third dose has been approved for a small select group of Immunocompromised individuals, nobody else.

Boosters are not currently approved or recommended by the CDC, FDA, or any expert I can find.

disneygeek90

There’s some confusion about boosters and third doses going around. A third dose and a booster are not the same.

A third dose has been approved for a small select group of Immunocompromised individuals, nobody else.

Boosters are not currently approved or recommended by the CDC, FDA, or any expert I can find.

The writing is on the wall. They're going to be coming in the next few months.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't understand what people mean when they say "what is the plan" regarding vaccinations.

The plan is get everyone vaccinated! Yes, you can still get Covid, but vast majority will have mild symptoms and WON'T BE HOSPITALIZED. That's the end-game. Punch it down to a mild disease that we can actually live with.

Precisely this, the end game is to avoid as many deaths as possible while we wait for the disease to run its course and herd immunity to be reached.

The 1918 Spanish flu (H1N1) is still around today and still kills people every year, just not tens of millions like it did before we reached herd immunity. History tells us we probably have another year or two before we reach that point with covid19, fortunately we have modern medicine and vaccines this time around so there’s no reason for 50 million people to die in the process.

correcaminos

The writing is on the wall. They're going to be coming in the next few months.
For which, boosters or just third doses? Boosters are still in trial. Third dose "boosters" are too for the general public but we know other studies have been done for higher risk people to help fill the need and we've been told most will need at 8 months. A younger population may or may not need them. I'm still kind of waiting to see.

6 months might be too early but it could get the higher risk whose immunity is waning earlier.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
"Florida reported 26,203 more COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

The state also reported nine new deaths the day before. In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,130,144 confirmed COVID cases statewide and 42,731 deaths.

There were 17,164 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Wednesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 233 Florida hospitals. That is 76 more patients than Tuesday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 30.85% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,634 people were in intensive care unit beds, an increase of 77. That represents 53.91% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 233 hospitals reporting data."

Who’s surprised. That’s not a question.

Patcheslee

:mad: Husband just came home and told me one of their part suppliers delivery person showed up today with mask and gloves on. And wipes to clean surfaces. Husband asked what was up cause the gloves and cleaning wasn't normal routine, guy is covid positive. That turned into DH going to boss, and the boss calling the supplier and pretty much tearing into them. Company knew he was positive and has been allowing him to continue working since last Friday. Worse is I probably need to inform my work tomorrow because the supplier also delivers to us, not sure if it's the same delivery guy though. We still have screening even for delivery personnel so if this guy lied to get past the door, it's going to turn into a big issue.

disneygeek90

For which, boosters or just third doses? Boosters are still in trial. Third dose "boosters" are too for the general public but we know other studies have been done for higher risk people to help fill the need and we've been told most will need at 8 months. A younger population may or may not need them. I'm still kind of waiting to see.

6 months might be too early but it could get the higher risk whose immunity is waning earlier.
Either? I don’t really care about the semantics, but I think everyone is going to be recommended another dose at some point.

correcaminos

Either? I don’t really care about the semantics, but I think everyone is going to be recommended another dose at some point.
Boosters for variants are not out and won't be for a while. They are 100% still in trials.

The 3rd dose for immunocompromised is out. That's fact. They are suggesting 3rd for many, but really specifics are fuzzy at this point. I'm always of the "look at the data" and not make guesses based on just guesses. I wouldn't be surprised if they do not see a need for some groups to get a booster or quickly. Part of the trial I am in did explicitly divide by age.

Some people won't get a third dose and I'm kind of okay with that. Not all did great with the shots, though that is more rare.

TalkingHead

I hope the UF model is right and Florida’s numbers will gradually start falling, but I don’t know how they could accurately model schools opening, and colleges starting (just this week). Hook-up COVID’s gonna be a thing.

Disney Experience

Here in NJ, you can get away with paying a server $3.13 per hour because of the possibility of making it up (or more!) in tips.
Gee, why would they have a problem filling that position? General public, attitudes, exposure risk, no tip? Hmmm...
California Grill in WDW payed something like $4/hr when open ( off hours was $15/hr). Servers are assumed to be getting tips. Servers I talked to said they dreaded Canadian customers because many assumed that tipping was not really needed, just like in Canada.

On the other hand I was in Sydney Australia before the 2000 olympics and knew tipping was not expected there, but I tipped anyways to see the smiles. I tipped a cabbie and he looked at me angrily and said, “ You do not have to tip/bribe me to do my job!”. Only then did I realize my tip was an unattended insult. Different cultures, different expectations.

Kman

Ayla

Here in FL, virtual was not an option, per the Governor. It is only “full speed ahead”, since, you know, the pandemic is over and this is merely a “seasonal wave”.

That being the case, when our K-8 closed yesterday, there was a huge scramble to transfer everything online. Many students won’t even have access to “class” since they don’t have a computer.
Easy to say for a guy who has his children home-schooled.

Figgy1

Premium Member
:mad: Husband just came home and told me one of their part suppliers delivery person showed up today with mask and gloves on. And wipes to clean surfaces. Husband asked what was up cause the gloves and cleaning wasn't normal routine, guy is covid positive. That turned into DH going to boss, and the boss calling the supplier and pretty much tearing into them. Company knew he was positive and has been allowing him to continue working since last Friday. Worse is I probably need to inform my work tomorrow because the supplier also delivers to us, not sure if it's the same delivery guy though. We still have screening even for delivery personnel so if this guy lied to get past the door, it's going to turn into a big issue.
How is that even legal? How did the employer not see lawsuits coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom