Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

Here in Mississippi, they're threatening positive testing people who don't quarantine for 10 days with a misdemeanor punishable by up to 5 years in jail. Meanwhile, employers aren't required to pay you for being out for those 10 days unless you use PTO. This should be interesting to see how many people continue to go to work sick because they can't afford to be out.

ETA: the order says 6 months for the misdemeanor but since this is considered a "life-threatening disease, it can be bumped to a felony which is 5 years.

Last edited:

hopemax

Really it’s kind of insane.

companies are struggling to get workers and they just added a self imposed obstacle to reduce that labour pool in half.
Well, that's why people are asking how long will employers keep the marijuana restrictions.

But IMO, if your business is of a certain type, it makes sense to have certain restrictions. If you have bad credit, there are financial jobs you won't get hired for because you might represent a higher risk for theft or embezzlement. Vaccines are a medical thing, and as a potential patient I shouldn't have to worry about what other medical rules nurses and techs aren't following 100% because they pooh pooh the need and efficacy. Obviously, this won't be stuff that is prescribed, ordered and tracked. But the little stuff that may lead to infections, or things not mentioned that delays adjustment of meds, etc. Especially when it comes to LTC facilities.

draybook

Well, that's why people are asking how long will employers keep the marijuana restrictions.

But IMO, if your business is of a certain type, it makes sense to have certain restrictions. If you have bad credit, there are financial jobs you won't get hired for because you might represent a higher risk for theft or embezzlement. Vaccines are a medical thing, and as a potential patient I shouldn't have to worry about what other medical rules nurses and techs aren't following 100% because they pooh pooh the need and efficacy. Obviously, this won't be stuff that is prescribed, ordered and tracked. But the little stuff that may lead to infections, or things not mentioned that delays adjustment of meds, etc. Especially when it comes to LTC facilities.

We switched from hair to urine tests semi-recently and it shows. You can smell the pot from some of these folks after their lunch breaks. These are people operating powered equipment in a medical supply DC. It's insane.

matt9112

We switched from hair to urine tests semi-recently and it shows. You can smell the pot from some of these folks after their lunch breaks. These are people operating powered equipment in a medical supply DC. It's insane.

Has your work place accident rate gone up? If theres no there there you cant say well i think there all pot heads and its bad for work.

Chomama

Not all adults are members of the work force furthermore a huge portion of the vaxed crowd is older non working folks. If you did a breakdown by age at a cut off at say 60 i could see the 50% and change number being accurate.

Honestly its probably pretty telling how close we are to the inverted pyramid of economic cohorts that is going to wreck havok on economic growth very soon.
I think time is going to tell on this one. The big corporations are one thing but when it starts coming to mid and small size businesses they are really stuck between a rock and a hard place. My husband is an owner in a business that has about 400 employees and they have not instituted a vaccine mandate but they are considering raising insurance premiums for employees that are not vaccinated. They are considering this because it is so expensive for them to care for someone in an ICU with their current insurance program. They have higher premiums for smokers and other health issues so it would make sense that unvaccinated people would have to pay more. They are trying to find ways to handle this well but the reality is that having any unvaxxed people in your office is a risk and it is impacting the rest of the company.

sullyinMT

A quick, cursory search showed ~165M Americans participated or eligible in the 2020 workforce. In July, 162M were employed. Subtracting the 65+ number from the 18+ number on the CDC website, about 139M Americans 18-65 have at least started vaccination. Add in the people over 65 that still work out of joy or necessity, and there are plenty of vaccinated Americans out there able to work. And plenty more who would be begrudgingly willing to get a shot. We'll see what happens when the unemployment "incentives" dry up.

Not all industries, or even states, will mandate or allow mandation. But enough large employers will in the right industries to move the needle. There will also be some trickle down. With major airlines now requiring it, their regional partners will, as well. So I wouldn't be surprised to see HMS Host, for example, require their foodservice and airport retail employees be vaccinated. At least in major markets. Now that DoD is mandating, I'd be shocked if other federal agencies didn't join in (Parks and other facets of Interior, for example). They haven't done it yet, but if just one logistics company jumps on mandation, we'll likely see it for Amazon, FedEx, and UPS. Those are decently paying jobs people won't want to give up unless they're really dug in on the kook scale. Enough big cities and states have mandated teachers, and that list will grow. National teachers' groups have been vocal proponents of vaccines and, to a degree, their being required. Anti-vaxx teachers might clamor for that low-paying job in Havre, MT, but most will eventually just get their shot and keep their better Mendocino, CA benefits, pay, and lifestyle.

draybook

Has your work place accident rate gone up? If theres no there there you cant say well i think there all pot heads and its bad for work.

Reported or non-reported accidents? Our facility in general is a mess, not that the weed heads are even remotely responsible for it.

matt9112

Reported or non-reported accidents? Our facility in general is a mess, not that the weed heads are even remotely responsible for it.

Well to be fair there should only be one type. Thats issue number one. My point was although a risk we cant just say something is worse without proof it is worse.

draybook

Well to be fair there should only be one type. Thats issue number one. My point was although a risk we cant just say something is worse without proof it is worse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about rec pot use off the clock but these are people blazing up right before work and on breaks. They are operating 6k lb forklifts around others and pedestrians. But my observation was just more about how my employer has been lowering its standard in regards to a "drug" yet is mandating the vaccine to everyone but hourly associates for the time being. Definitely a difference between a virus and a drug, but I think there will be a tipping point where they realize they won't be able to fill open spots. I think that will happen in all places.

Polkadotdress

For any of you (I think @helenabear is one) who is part of the 3rd dose trial, how were the side effects of the 3rd dose compared to the 2nd? My mom (who would be booster eligible at the beginning of October) is worried because she had a pretty bad reaction to Pfizer dose #2 (severe chills and rapid heart rate).
Not in a trial, but got the 3rd approved due to immunosuppression. Similar side effects for 24 hours (nausea, headache) but 4 days of having a fairly sizable case of "covid arm." Large itchy, painful red patch on arm. That was the first time that happened.

DisneyDebRob

If we think mask mandates are the reason businesses can’t find help, I have a bridge to sell you. Is it one of many reasons? Maybe. But the mandates just started recently and businesses have been complaining since March they can’t fill jobs. Is it unemployment benefits? That’s also part of it. Minor part again, but part of it. People realizing after the last year and a half that they are worth more then the 8 bucks an hour they were getting? I think that’s the main issue.
People are finding jobs with places that are paying more. They know their worth now and are holding out for more money. Heck, many are home in their pj’s making more money working from their computers because of companies that made big changes. There’s many reasons.
You know what? Good for them. If they can hold out for what they think they need to survive for themselves or family, then go for it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

For any of you (I think @helenabear is one) who is part of the 3rd dose trial, how were the side effects of the 3rd dose compared to the 2nd? My mom (who would be booster eligible at the beginning of October) is worried because she had a pretty bad reaction to Pfizer dose #2 (severe chills and rapid heart rate).
No trial for me. I lined up my Moderna booster last Sat. For a day after the shot was headaches , arm ache and a little fatigue.After the second Moderna shot, was tough with flu like symptoms , fever , aches in bed for a whole day. I like the fact that the only way I got get my CDC card filled out by the pharmacist for the booster shot and handed back to me was I had to sit for 15 min observation monitored by an egg timer.

Chomama

If we think mask mandates are the reason businesses can’t find help, I have a bridge to see you. Is it one of many reasons? Maybe. But the mandates just started recently and businesses have been complaining since March they can’t fill jobs. Is it unemployment benefits? That’s also part of it. Minor part again, but part of it. People realizing after the last year and a half that they are worth more then the 8 bucks an hour they were getting? I think that’s the main issue.
People are finding jobs with places that are paying more. They know their worth now and are holding out for more money. Heck, many are home in their pj’s making more money working from their computers because of companies that made big changes. There’s many reasons.
You know what? Good for them. If they can hold out for what they think they need to survive for themselves or family, then go for it.
I think you are much closer to the Mark here. I live in a state with no mask mandates and no Covid protocols whatsoever. Service industry businesses are still struggling to find employees. Many close early or have suspended to go orders etc. A lot of people don’t want to go back to those jobs. What will happen over time? Some people will go back and many businesses will have to improve working conditions.

Crunchie9

Pot smoker here.

I was a former tool and die maker. Blazes every day. Twice a day during working hours

lazyboy97o

I think you are much closer to the Mark here. I live in a state with no mask mandates and no Covid protocols whatsoever. Service industry businesses are still struggling to find employees. Many close early or have suspended to go orders etc. A lot of people don’t want to go back to those jobs. What will happen over time? Some people will go back and many businesses will have to improve working conditions.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. The pay has jumped for a lot of these jobs but people aren’t showing. They were treated like crap by employers and customers, and if that doesn’t change then there will continue to be problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom