Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

The idea is to punish you for your decisions...whole stick part of the carrot thing.
Yet here we are with people adovcating for restricting people against there will.
As an optimist, I see it as a reward. Being vaccinated and traveling with other vaccinated people (and their tested children), my thoughts are:
If one of us on that plane just happen to have a pre- asymptomatic breakthrough, and are unfortunate enough to also be in that brief window of being contagious, it sets my mind at ease knowing that any further infections aren’t likely to bear an impact on our destination’s health care system. Even better if we’re headed to a music festival, theme park, or cruise ship that is likewise “passported.” It’s a rewarding, responsible, method to living a “normal” life.

In real life, where I live around a bunch of pandemic deniers who want to tell me my employer isn’t actually busting at the seams with patients again and they deserve the right to allow their kids to infect mine, my wife and I still enjoy our favorite brew pub. We’ve been to a number of movies at our favorite art/indie film theater. If we didn’t, we’d be stay-at-home for the indefinite future based on our situation locally. We do the best we can, and follow or supersede the rules. But there is more that can and should be done to protect the public health of everyone.

Lilofan

"Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian notified employees Wednesday that they will face $200 monthly increases on their health insurance premiums starting Nov. 1 if they aren’t vaccinated against Covid-19, citing steep costs to cover employees who are hospitalized with the virus.

Unvaccinated employees will face other restrictions, including indoor masking effective immediately and weekly Covid-19 tests starting Sept. 12 the Atlanta-based airline said in announcing new Covid policies for employees."

And make the anti-vaxxers pay more for displaying unsafe behavior or look for employment elsewhere.

sullyinMT

I'm interested to see the effects of these forced vaccine mandates as employers struggle to find staffing.
Employers are already struggling to find staff. Why not protect who they have? I’d also wager there are those willing to work but not willing to enter a potentially dangerous environment if they can help it. Or need to pick up the slack of their anti-vaxx coworkers who are off for testing and quarantine anytime they get the sniffles and a cough.

GimpYancIent

It will balance out because of the constant quarantines and contact tracing. Also avoid healthcare costs for Covid employees in hospital. It’s a win for employers long term
It would be a win for employers if the employers would make arrangements w health care providers for their employees to facilitate / make as convenient as possible getting vaccinated. Rather than threaten employees lively hood and careers.

DisneyCane

Not sure I am. You are harping on the 78% of eligible and missing it's only 58% total. That's the issue. They are not getting enough total to matter. Just like Florida.

So we need vaccines to be mandated for work or travel at this point and approve kids. Then we'll get somewhere. A little over half vaccinated isn't enough.

Been a long day but Ohio State mandated vaccines while I was out for all. My friends who work there are thrilled. Big university tol.
If you are going to mandate vaccines for employment you have to simultaneously get rid of any extra unemployment compensation and make people who are unemployed due to refusal to be vaccinated ineligible for unemployment. Otherwise some people will choose to just collect unemployment instead of getting vaccinated.

Mandating for domestic travel is pointless. People who don't want to be vaccinated will just travel in personal vehicles to avoid it.

sullyinMT

It would be a win for employers if the employers would make arrangements w health care providers for their employees to facilitate / make as convenient as possible getting vaccinated. Rather than threaten employees lively hood and careers.
In the beginning, yes. For someone as big as WDW or Delta’s main ATL operation, sure.
For everyone else, you can walk in to your local CVS, Walgreen’s or other retail pharmacy and be done with it. How much more convenient do we need to make it for people?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I can't speak for Delta Airlines, but almost every major company in America has held on-site vaccination drives. If those don't work for you, you can pretty much walk into any pharmacy without an appointment and receive a vaccine free of charge. How much easier could it possibly be?

sullyinMT

If you are going to mandate vaccines for employment you have to simultaneously get rid of any extra unemployment compensation and make people who are unemployed due to refusal to be vaccinated ineligible for unemployment. Otherwise some people will choose to just collect unemployment instead of getting vaccinated.

Mandating for domestic travel is pointless. People who don't want to be vaccinated will just travel in personal vehicles to avoid it.
Travel is but one spoke it the wheel. I’m with you 100% on the unemployment issues.

Kevin_W

DeWine isn’t everyone’s hero by a long shot, but I wonder if this will give him gumption to petition at least Ohio public school and university staff/faculty be mandated.

We shall see. You had that circus act at the state legislature yesterday with the proposed bill to restrict vaccine mandates.

Polkadotdress

I believe here in FL a vaccine refusal is grounds for being ineligible for unemployment.

draybook

Employers are already struggling to find staff. Why not protect who they have? I’d also wager there are those willing to work but not willing to enter a potentially dangerous environment if they can help it. Or need to pick up the slack of their anti-vaxx coworkers who are off for testing and quarantine anytime they get the sniffles and a cough.

They can't even staff hospitals around the country, to the point they're offering up to 40k sign-on bonuses for positions that bay under 60k a year. I'm not talking about protecting those still employed, I'm talking about being able to find new employees with a mandate in place. Friday night, I will be fully vaccinated but I also know that we are struggling to even be half staffed as we are. And that's considering I work for a Fortune 500 medical company that can't be named but is included in that big federal opioid lawsuit. I can only imagine how other places are faring.

sullyinMT

We shall see. You had that circus act at the state legislature yesterday with the proposed bill to restrict vaccine mandates.
Well, the mandate restriction stupidity just passed here. Though federal money being restricted to certain industries would get that law amended pretty quickly.

I wouldn't doubt it would be an uphill battle. Maybe even one he wouldn't want to bother with.

Chomama

They can't even staff hospitals around the country, to the point they're offering up to 40k sign-on bonuses for positions that bay under 60k a year. I'm not talking about protecting those still employed, I'm talking about being able to find new employees with a mandate in place. Friday night, I will be fully vaccinated but I also know that we are struggling to even be half staffed as we are. And that's considering I work for a Fortune 500 medical company that can't be named but is included in that big federal opioid lawsuit. I can only imagine how other places are faring.
It will take time but I think the labor market will even out eventually. If I work at Delta Airlines and I quit because I don’t like their policy I am very limited in where I can go work because every other major airline has another policy I’m not going to like. The majority of the people are going to get vaccinated

Chomama

Really it’s kind of insane.

companies are struggling to get workers and they just added a self imposed obstacle to reduce that labour pool in half.
I don’t see how it reduces the labor pool by half. 73% of adults have at least one shot. That would lead me to believe that their labor pool is 75% vaccinated most likely and maybe even higher and given what they do

lazyboy97o

You’re going to have staffing shortages when people get sick for several weeks if not longer.

matt9112

I don’t see how it reduces the labor pool by half. 73% of adults have at least one shot. That would lead me to believe that their labor pool is 75% vaccinated most likely and maybe even higher and given what they do

Not all adults are members of the work force furthermore a huge portion of the vaxed crowd is older non working folks. If you did a breakdown by age at a cut off at say 60 i could see the 50% and change number being accurate.

Honestly its probably pretty telling how close we are to the inverted pyramid of economic cohorts that is going to wreck havok on economic growth very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom