Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

The medical news websites I usually consult are surprisingly silent about this issue, but surprisingly, CNN has a good update on where we stand for pediatric COVID vaccines:

The article quotes a possible submission to the FDA by Pfizer for a EAU by late September, although that seems a bit overly optimistic from unofficial rumblings I've heard. But hey, if we have it by October, my toddler is going to get a nice birthday present, although he might not like it...
Don’t worry all the alphabet agencies will be approving the vaccines sooner rather than later. It’s just a formality. The vaccines have been so widely distributed by now there is no turning back now..

Willmark

Hell anyone in a First Responder setting uses a lot of Dark/Gallows Humor.

I haven't been around a fire department extensively in nearly 20 years, but the humor was one thing that I picked up as a kid.
It’s needed, especially on the EMS side.
Let’s just say every once and a while you get a really “interesting” patient or patients for a VARIETY of reasons.

Then there were the ones where you have to figure out what you are really getting dispatched for. Not always but on occasion you might get dispatched for a job that isn’t what it was called in as.

Lilofan

Hell anyone in a First Responder setting uses a lot of Dark/Gallows Humor.

I haven't been around a fire department extensively in nearly 20 years, but the humor was one thing that I picked up as a kid.
I'd say a dark humor was when my brother's friends when little lived on top of the funeral home that their parents owned and managed. The kids would play in the funeral home while in operation is the subtle way to describe it. The kids now grown manage the family owned business.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

The medical news websites I usually consult are surprisingly silent about this issue, but surprisingly, CNN has a good update on where we stand for pediatric COVID vaccines:

The article quotes a possible submission to the FDA by Pfizer for a EAU by late September, although that seems a bit overly optimistic from unofficial rumblings I've heard. But hey, if we have it by October, my toddler is going to get a nice birthday present, although he might not like it...

Fauci was interviewed on NPR yesterday and gave a good summary,I think. That article goes into more detail on the vacines/doses, the NPR host was pushing him more on timing.

Lilofan

My favorite diner closes at 5pm, has for years. The owner does it so employees can go home and have dinner/time with their families. One of the best local places to work as a kid if you could get your foot in the door.
Somewhat reminds me of the founder of his company who stuck to his belief and doesn't believe in working Sundays - Chick-Fil-A, except when some locations opened on some Sundays in Central FL several years ago immediately after the PULSE nightclub massacre in Orlando.

sullyinMT

Fauci was interviewed on NPR yesterday and gave a good summary,I think. That article goes into more detail on the vacines/doses, the NPR host was pushing him more on timing.
Thanks. I understand waiting on proper review and getting it right, but in the thick of it it seems like an eternity. It will be interesting to see if our youngest gets authorized first or turns 12 in May. I assume the former.

It can be frustrating hearing so many different timelines from different authorities, but until there's a firm set of data in hand, it's hard to know for sure. I seem to recall similar wide swathes of estimates before initial EUA came in.
I enjoy the WDW reference! :)
Just doing my best to stay on topic. ;)

mmascari

I understand waiting on proper review and getting it right, but in the thick of it it seems like an eternity. It will be interesting to see if our youngest gets authorized first or turns 12 in May. I assume the former.
Our youngest turned 12 and got the first dose the next day. Deathly afraid of needles, as in the 11 year appointment shots practically required restraint (I think it did require, I wasn't there). They demanded an appointment for the COVID vaccine immediately after birthday and did it like a champ. Now we just need to make it to the second dose and the extra two weeks. School starts for us next Monday. At least it's one dose completed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Peak?
1629830481505.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know, right? Isn't Israel horrible? Let's add them to the list too.
"Add them to the list" "Didn't get the memo"

Yeah, you're speaking in code here. This isn't an anti-vaxxer sight that understands all your dog whistles.

What list? What memo?

Afraid to be specific?

According to NPR (but feel free to share your own data), Israel's vax rate is near 80% for those eligible for inoculation. If you include those who are not eligible it brings it to the number you say around 60% (according to the source, they have a very young population?). So you are blaming kids under 12yo or the fact that the country was a good vaccine adopter early on or it's the people who are religious or it's the fault of people in Mississippi...

You have to compare apples to apples. Israel did do well stopping COVID Alpha with lockdowns, masks, and then vaccinations.

But they stopped doing well? Did vaccines fail?

No, they failed to vaccinate the "hesitant" and then prematurely dropped almost all the protocols.

And now, with Delta, which is much more contagious and harmful to children than Alpha, you have both the adult hesitant and the youth population spreading COVID.

Imagine if the 20% of adults who could have been vaccinated but weren't actually got vaccinated.

sullyinMT

Hopefully. I'd like to see their current plateau in reported hospitalizations and new admissions hit a downward slide. If that has started by this time next week it might be time for a cautiously optimistic sigh of relief. Their cases in schools situation still gives me pause, though.

Our youngest turned 12 and got the first dose the next day. Deathly afraid of needles, as in the 11 year appointment shots practically required restraint (I think it did require, I wasn't there). They demanded an appointment for the COVID vaccine immediately after birthday and did it like a champ. Now we just need to make it to the second dose and the extra two weeks. School starts for us next Monday. At least it's one dose completed.
Your youngest and my oldest should meet. Typically afraid of needles, he opted to be late to school and join the walk in clinic the morning after 12+ authorization (he was newly 13 at the time). I'm sure the county's $50 incentive helped calm his fear, but we were proud parents that day. And he's done more to convince his circle of friends to get the shot than we could have hoped.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida reported 21,208 more COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

The state also reported six new deaths the day before. In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,103,941 confirmed COVID cases statewide and 42,722 deaths.

There were 17,088 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Tuesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 233 Florida hospitals. That is 55 fewer patients than Monday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 31.20% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,557 people were in intensive care unit beds, an increase of seven. That represents 53.73% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 233 hospitals reporting data."

Tony the Tigger

"Florida reported 21,208 more COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

The state also reported six new deaths the day before. In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,103,941 confirmed COVID cases statewide and 42,722 deaths.

There were 17,088 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Tuesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 233 Florida hospitals. That is 55 fewer patients than Monday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 31.20% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,557 people were in intensive care unit beds, an increase of seven. That represents 53.73% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 233 hospitals reporting data."

I remember last year when spikes of 13K-17K new daily cases were a huge deal. Now it’s over 20K routinely.

But don’t mask children. 🥴

mmascari

And the others...still going up for now...
Do they have those charts on a per/100K metric along with showing both the per/100K value and it's percent change?

I always find these percent increase graphs that don't have other context hard to understand.

I mean, sure that CA change of 21.5% and 14K cases isn't great. But, CA has a huge population, they're running something like 35/100K. That's not great, 35 isn't good, we want it back down under 3. But for comparison, FL is around 99/100K. Yeah, it's only going up at 11%, but OMG it's sitting at 99.

I cannot tell from those graphs if those states are moving from "ok ish to not great" or if they're already at "world on fire and the heat is on" getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom