Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It isn't going to happen like that.

The CDC is recommending a booster for the immuno-compromised, not for the general population.

There is no data so far that the vaccines we have for the general population are "wearing off." And until that data is confirmed, which can take months and months, a booster won't be recommended by the CDC for the general population.

The U.S. has put the order in for boosters 'just in case," just like for the initial Project Warp Speed.

A new variant that is resistant to or 'hides from' the current vaccines can change all that. But... it's a case of semantics if a newly formulated vaccine for a new variant is really a "booster" or a just a "new vaccine."

So the pandemic will be finally over in USA by end of the year or next year? As the pandemic continues for rest of the world until every people got vaccinated. Also will NJ Transit will lift masks for trains and buses later this year?

Heppenheimer

As disturbing as it is, at least it was brought out one way or the other.
The problem is that becomes the default excuse that the Covid number is false and that's what's latched onto, even if not the case.
We know enough people this has really affected. It's scary and real.
The loss of revenue from orthopedic and ophthamologic surgeries is also crippling to some hospitals. Any extra revenue they get from COVID cases is pennies in comparison.

jlhwdw

So the pandemic will be finally over in USA by end of the year or next year? As the pandemic continues for rest of the world until every people got vaccinated. Also will NJ Transit will lift masks for trains and buses later this year?
No. And no. Mask mandates likely through the end lf 2021 on NJ transit, and the pandemic is on track to go into 2022

xoemmdee

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Interesting on the U.K. to Israel comparison. Didn’t Canada seperate the shots more as well?
As a Canadian, I will say that yes we did separate our doses. It was supposed to be four months apart at first, but many like myself ended up having that time period shortened as we received more doses over time.

And where I am, our numbers are still climbing! Maybe not as much as you guys over in the states, but definitely still rising due to the Delta variant.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Peter hotez tonight saying he thinks that’s Very unlikely. He suspects that the UK spreading the shot 68 weeks apart was much more effective than what we did and what Israel did. And he thinks that after we get the third shot it will be a while before we would need anymore. He said likely well over a year. That does not mean he knows for sure, which he acknowledged very clearly. So much changing. It’s exhausting
6-8. Not 68.

Communicora

Premium Member

The CDC is recommending a booster for the immuno-compromised, not for the general population.

There is no data so far that the vaccines we have for the general population are "wearing off." And until that data is confirmed, which can take months and months, a booster won't be recommended by the CDC for the general population.

The U.S. has put the order in for boosters 'just in case," just like for the initial Project Warp Speed.

A new variant that is resistant to or 'hides from' the current vaccines can change all that. But... it's a case of semantics if a newly formulated vaccine for a new variant is really a "booster" or a just a "new vaccine."

This story came out yesterday.

Officials are planning to announce the decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans who received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing caseloads to surge across much of the nation. The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.​

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No. And no. Mask mandates likely through the end lf 2021 on NJ transit, and the pandemic is on track to go into 2022
If many people including anti-vaxxers will getting vaccinated quicker by end of the year or early 2022 then the pandemic will be end soon, as for mask mandate for transportation, hmmmm...maybe before end of the year I guess or next month...hmmmmm..That case if the President will have to deal with this pandemic in USA to make ending the pandemic soon if alot of people getting vaccinating quicker. @GoofGoof

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this is going to completely fall apart... people aren’t going to get a booster every 6-8 months. Some will, but many won’t.
Same rules will likely apply. No cruises, many employers will require it so limited places to work, many public venues may start to require it too. People will be free to decide not to be vaccinated but that choice comes with consequences and I think most people will end up doing it rather than have their lifestyle limited and their livelihood reduced.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Officials are planning to announce the decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans who received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing caseloads to surge across much of the nation. The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.​
When I'll getting a booster soon before end of the year and what month?

Kevin_W

What is the issue where you are with getting the second shots? People who voluntarily did not go back for the second, or a lack of availability?

In many places it's that people chose not to go back for the 2nd shot. I'm sure some with legitimate medical reasons, but many due to laziness/fear of 2nd shot reaction/felt enough protection from 1st shot, etc.

We were just in Hawaii and you can see the numbers clearly there. A month ago, they had 70.7% of the population with 1st shot. So fast-forward to now and they should have that same percentage fully vaccinated, yet they only have 54.3% fully vaccinated.

mmascari

"Lockdowns don't work"

A very quick google search didn't reveal what steps they're taking while locked down, just lost of current stories about entering the lockdown now. Someone with local news sources would have better luck.

But, skimming through a bunch of the stories, they all reveal a much more robust surveillance and tracing system in New Zealand. My guess is they're using the lockdown time to slow transmission and let that surveillance and tracing catch up and focus on this specific case in detail. That would fit with the shorter wide area duration and the longer targeted area duration. They're not trying to lockdown as the only solution, just to buy some time to get the other tracking and testing done. At 3 and 7 days, that's the only thing that makes sense.

Something slipped through and pierced their bubble. They're reacting to slow down the damage and bring the tools to patch the bubble up and stop the incursion. Sounds reasonable.

Their slow vaccine rollout criticism also sounds fair, since if it was higher a pierce to the bubble would be harder and easier to slow and reverse.

Timmay

The loss of revenue from orthopedic and ophthamologic surgeries is also crippling to some hospitals. Any extra revenue they get from COVID cases is pennies in comparison.
CMS reimburses hospitals at up to more than twice the rate for Covid patients. Like it or not, it does create an opportunity for hospitals to work the system.

mmascari

My wife keeps complaining about the messaging and reporting on these two.

The one already going on today for immuno-compromised is more like a mulligan or do over than a typical booster. It's trying to deal with a scenario where the first dose didn't generate a strong enough response, or maybe any response, because of the specific health conditions of the recipient. People don't hear that in the reporting though, just "there's a booster, should I get one". :(

The new expected announcement, of a general guideline for everyone is a general booster.

They don't have the same reason. My second kid is turning 12, and all the local appointments this week suddenly started to fill after the immuno-compromised additional dose was announced. Unless our area is super saturated with immuno-compromised people, there are lots of others getting an extra dose too.

Still no news for us J&J people either, one way or the other. :(

Communicora

Premium Member
My wife keeps complaining about the messaging and reporting on these two.

The one already going on today for immuno-compromised is more like a mulligan or do over than a typical booster. It's trying to deal with a scenario where the first dose didn't generate a strong enough response, or maybe any response, because of the specific health conditions of the recipient. People don't hear that in the reporting though, just "there's a booster, should I get one". :(

The new expected announcement, of a general guideline for everyone is a general booster.

They don't have the same reason. My second kid is turning 12, and all the local appointments this week suddenly started to fill after the immuno-compromised additional dose was announced. Unless our area is super saturated with immuno-compromised people, there are lots of others getting an extra dose too.

Still no news for us J&J people either, one way or the other. :(
Yes, I agree. For the first one, it's more like an adjusted dose based on the needs of certain patients.

I wish they'd quickly discuss the boosters and the timing. Who knows, non-immunocompromised people rushing out right now might not be getting the full benefits of the booster if they rush it.

Heppenheimer

CMS reimburses hospitals at up to more than twice the rate for Covid patients. Like it or not, it does create an opportunity for hospitals to work the system.
And risk being prosecuted for insurance fraud. The person who actually has the authority to apply a questionable diagnosis (the attending physician) to the chart has little to directly gain from doing so and a whole lot more to loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom