Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is only one reasonable fix MANDATE vaccination and do it yesterday, Sorry peeps but the crazy conspiracy stories are pure crap and no excuse for not getting vaccinated. Being in the 'critical infrastructure' business got mine in March

I like accurate numbers though because it tells us if buildings with UV lights in the HVAC system have fewer cases, or what size the air filtration systems needs to be to reduce infections. inflating numbers to scare people does none of this.
I have no issue with businesses requiring vaccination. I’m all for that too at this point.

I only say “this again” because we’ve been through the questions and conspiracy theories on cause of death and it won’t lead anywhere good. No point going over that again.

The Mrs

As someone who got the J&J, any news that even acknowledges it's existence is typically nice to hear. But, I don't think our media is capable of this type of reporting in a meaningful way. I suspect some science journal is more likely to publish a paper on it, but it'll be months after the fact. Perhaps useful for determining who needs a booster and what that booster should be. Months later because a research team will need to decide it's worth writing and then do all the data gathering.

I can see already see it now, something like a national number: We looked at 100 breakthrough cases, 45 were A, 40 B, and only 15 C.

Completely leaving out how they picked those 100. If they're all within the same area or just picked from wherever. It doesn't tell us much if 45% of breakthroughs are from A, if all the A examples are from an area that has say 90% of vaccinated people with A or if the area has high community spread. That 15 of C sounds great. But, what if it's because in the area studied there is almost nobody with C, mostly A and B. Then, even a low number for C would be bad.

Unless we're controlling for vaccine distribution and community spread, reporting on the percentages of breakthroughs of each vaccine is kind of meaningless. But, it would cause huge storms of people saying that need to get the one that's best.

They could do reporting like: In area X where 25% of vaccinated people got C, and C represents 25% of breakthrough cases. Which would tell us C is about the same as the comparison. Controlled for community spread and comparing vaccinated population to breakthrough population.

At least for about 10 minutes. Until the next publication took the data and wrote the meaningless stats creating hysteria about getting the vaccine that's the best. :(
Wow! This kind of sums up how I feel about all of the data we're given. So much of it is useless for exactly the types of reasons you state, yet it could be so meaningful if put together differently. I guess that's statistics in general. Anyone can use them to show anything if the people drawing conclusions don't ask the right questions. It's definitely frustrating.
Signed Yours Truly,
Just Another Recipient of That "Other" Vaccine

JoeCamel

Wow! This kind of sums up how I feel about all of the data we're given. So much of it is useless for exactly the types of reasons you state, yet it could be so meaningful if put together differently. I guess that's statistics in general. Anyone can use them to show anything if the people drawing conclusions don't ask the right questions. It's definitely frustrating.
Signed Yours Truly,
Just Another Recipient of That "Other" Vaccine
Not really, if you distill the numbers they don't change people just say they mean different things. Get enough info from many sources and see what aligns without putting your desires into the equation.
It really is as simple as asking where the numbers come from when someone professes a conclusion as to what they mean.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Biden administration has decided that most Americans should get a coronavirus booster shot eight months after they completed their initial vaccination, and could begin offering the extra shots as early as mid-September, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions.

Officials are planning to announce the administration’s decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing surging caseloads across the nation.

The first boosters are likely to go to nursing home residents and health care workers, followed by other older people who were near the front of the line when vaccinations began late last year. Officials envision giving people the same vaccine they originally received.

Among other worrisome signals, Biden administration officials are particularly concerned about data from Israel suggesting that the Pfizer-BioNTech’s protection against severe disease has fallen significantly for elderly people who were vaccinated in January or February.

Some administration officials have viewed Israel as a kind of template for the United States because it started vaccinating its population sooner. Israel has almost exclusively used the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and it has a nationalized health care system that allows it to systematically track patients.

The latest data from Israel, posted on the government’s website on Monday, shows what some experts describe as continued erosion of the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine over time — both against mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections in general and against severe disease among the elderly."

oceanbreeze77

"The Biden administration has decided that most Americans should get a coronavirus booster shot eight months after they completed their initial vaccination, and could begin offering the extra shots as early as mid-September, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions.

Officials are planning to announce the administration’s decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing surging caseloads across the nation.

The first boosters are likely to go to nursing home residents and health care workers, followed by other older people who were near the front of the line when vaccinations began late last year. Officials envision giving people the same vaccine they originally received.

Among other worrisome signals, Biden administration officials are particularly concerned about data from Israel suggesting that the Pfizer-BioNTech’s protection against severe disease has fallen significantly for elderly people who were vaccinated in January or February.

Some administration officials have viewed Israel as a kind of template for the United States because it started vaccinating its population sooner. Israel has almost exclusively used the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and it has a nationalized health care system that allows it to systematically track patients.

The latest data from Israel, posted on the government’s website on Monday, shows what some experts describe as continued erosion of the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine over time — both against mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections in general and against severe disease among the elderly."

it will be interesting to see how supply meets demand. Yes we have MANY MANY more vaccines, and obviously it won't be as stressful as the first time, but with everyone rushing out to get a third shot, I wonder what it will look like.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I'm 31 years old, am I get a booster vaccine or not too soon?

TrainsOfDisney

it will be interesting to see how supply meets demand. Yes we have MANY MANY more vaccines, and obviously it won't be as stressful as the first time, but with everyone rushing out to get a third shot, I wonder what it will look like.
This is going to get interesting..... are people going to be expected to get a shot every 6 months?

oceanbreeze77

OK by me til we kill it, some get a shot daily or more
shots tequila GIF

Chomama

I think this is going to completely fall apart... people aren’t going to get a booster every 6-8 months. Some will, but many won’t

Peter hotez tonight saying he thinks that’s Very unlikely. He suspects that the UK spreading the shot 68 weeks apart was much more effective than what we did and what Israel did. And he thinks that after we get the third shot it will be a while before we would need anymore. He said likely well over a year. That does not mean he knows for sure, which he acknowledged very clearly. So much changing. It’s exhausting

Chomama

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Interesting on the U.K. to Israel comparison. Didn’t Canada seperate the shots more as well?
I believe you are correct about that and their cases are staying low. It’s hard to guess why, though, bc they have such a high vaccine uptake.

DisneyCane

I think this is going to completely fall apart... people aren’t going to get a booster every 6-8 months. Some will, but many won’t.
100%. At that level of booster frequency, it's no longer what people think of as a vaccine.

Even if people followed the regimen, it's going to be logistically difficult to keep vaccinating so many people.

A few days ago I posted that after looking at the data from Israel it appeared that Pfizer either didn't work well against Delta or the protection wore off quickly. Many people jumped all over me. Unfortunately, it seems I was correct.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think this is going to completely fall apart... people aren’t going to get a booster every 6-8 months. Some will, but many won’t.

It isn't going to happen like that.

The CDC is recommending a booster for the immuno-compromised, not for the general population.

There is no data so far that the vaccines we have for the general population are "wearing off." And until that data is confirmed, which can take months and months, a booster won't be recommended by the CDC for the general population.

The U.S. has put the order in for boosters 'just in case," just like for the initial Project Warp Speed.

A new variant that is resistant to or 'hides from' the current vaccines can change all that. But... it's a case of semantics if a newly formulated vaccine for a new variant is really a "booster" or a just a "new vaccine."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom