Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

What worse side effects?
Not worse just more likely to give you the “24 hour crud” (fever, chills, malaise, muscle aches, fatigue.) All those symptoms are caused by your immune system activating to an invasion, some of us, like me, got it so bad I would not have been able to work that day. Thankfully I timed it so that I didn’t work the next day. If/when it’s recommended to get boosted again, I’ll make sure I get it on a day prior to an off one.

I will gladly take a booster ASAP if it’s recommended to me, despite my day of feeling unwell.

hopemax

Damn thats a lot of people packed in like sardines. And that is with 'managed' attendance? So much for social distancing. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures the overall crowd size in the area.

On a different note kinda bugs me that these new 'extra hours' are not available to all disney resorts. Just the more expensive ones.
We entered the Hub area via the walkway near the Cheshire Cafe / Cosmic Rays. The CMs were directing people entering from that spot to the street in front of the Castle and it was packed! We maneuvered our way so we were in the center part of the Hub, just to the East of the Partners statue. We were able to get a spot, so our backs were on the railing of the planter behind us. A family with a double stroller were directly in front of us, and they kept moving around so it prevented the area from being wall-to-wall, and I was grateful for that. Looking on the street and what I could see on the Hub grass it was more packed than where we ended up.

But in general, Disney was really packing bodies in if they could. After the fireworks, we did more rides. We were on the last Jungle Cruise boat of the day. Then we went to the Express Monorail. They were counting people and assigning zones. Luckily, we were at a gate, so were able to get a seat when we boarded. They shoved so many people in the zone that, honestly, I don't remember seeing the cabins that crowded BEFORE Covid, because they weren't counting, just trying to get people to keep moving forward, which would either happen or not. And that late, the line was only backed up about halfway down the ramp. There really was no reason to crowd everyone that much. Just wait a few minutes for another train.

carolina_yankee

Hey look at that another day of declining transmission. If you have a trip upcoming in September or October please don’t let the media influence your decision. Instead look at the raw data and follow the science.

There is absolutely zero context provided here. And the website your graph came from looks a bit suspicious when I typed the address into my browser.

And if I'm not mistaken, Florida doesn't even publish their case numbers on the weekend (or do they?). What's the source for "another day of declining transmission"?

CovidActNow does show Rt declining in Florida, but they have it much higher at 1.15.

For that it's worth, my understanding is that is also a lagging indicator. I've also seen it go up and down in NJ, so 'past performance is not an indicator of future performance' as they say. It's a hopeful sign, but not a guarantee.

The figure itself is also somewhat irrelevant. For instance, the Rt in NJ (also on decline) is higher than FL, but our rate per 100,000 is 1/3 to 1/4 of Florida's. For a state with slightly less than half the population, we also have 1/5 of the hospitalizations.

Florida isn't pretty and has a long way to go. We can also see how returning to schools affects numbers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What worse side effects?
For me I think the biggest side effect was I lost my 80s based hatred for the Boston Celtics and felt compelled to go get a Larry Bird poster for my wall. Never trust a Massachusetts based company ;). However, the dose wasn’t strong enough to curb my dislike of the Patriots. Still can‘t stand Tom Brady….even though he is the greatest of all time….is that the vaccine talking😳🤔😂

In all seriousness I never heard Moderna had worse side effects but the experience varied by person. I believe JnJ was documented to have less minor side effects than the mRNA vaccines.

LaughingGravy

Attachments

• Armothy.png
    Armothy.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 32

TrainsOfDisney

Not worse just more likely to give you the “24 hour crud” (fever, chills, malaise, muscle aches, fatigue.) All those symptoms are caused by your immune system activating to an invasion, some of us, like me, got it so bad I would not have been able to work that day. Thankfully I timed it so that I didn’t work the next day. If/when it’s recommended to get boosted again, I’ll make sure I get it on a day prior to an off one.

I will gladly take a booster ASAP if it’s recommended to me, despite my day of feeling unwell.
I had that from J&J, I thought it was the standard post vaccine feeling! I definitely couldn’t have worked theday after I got the vaccine and the next day would have been iffy.

Mr. Moderate

Yup.

About to pull the plug on our Labor Day trip weekend.
After debating back and forth with myself, trying to justify my mid October trip with the bad numbers out of Florida that don't show signs of going down anytime soon, I finally pulled the plug on the trip. I moved it out to May and if Florida isn't showing signs of serious improvement by then, I'll cancel it altogether.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
CovidActNow does show Rt declining in Florida, but they have it much higher at 1.15.

For that it's worth, my understanding is that is also a lagging indicator. I've also seen it go up and down in NJ, so 'past performance is not an indicator of future performance' as they say. It's a hopeful sign, but not a guarantee.

The figure itself is also somewhat irrelevant. For instance, the Rt in NJ (also on decline) is higher than FL, but our rate per 100,000 is 1/3 to 1/4 of Florida's. For a state with slightly less than half the population, we also have 1/5 of the hospitalizations.

Florida isn't pretty and has a long way to go. We can also see how returning to schools affects numbers.
There is a timing lag. Unfortunately everyone infected today doesn’t infect their next victim tomorrow there’s a multi-day period when people are contagious so if cases go from 20,000 today to 21,000 tomorrow that is only a change of 1.05 but that doesn’t mean all the people who will be infected by those 20,000 are counted already. I think you probably have to look back on weekly trends after the fact to see when the R dropped below 1. It’s hard to use daily numbers and get an accurate prediction. So if 150,000 people were infected last week and this week it’s 140,000 than the R is below 1 and cases are declining.

Patcheslee

So I was reading something last night. The big fear of hospitals being overrun is of course being denied treatment if you are ill, postponed surgeries, etc.

Just an ethical question for a Sunday :D - first wave, vaccines weren't available, people getting sick, etc. - this wave, vaccines ARE available and majority of hospitalized are unvaccinated - taking up the ICU beds.

How are they deciding who gets treatment and who doesn't?
I mean, are they actually turning away accident victims, heart attacks, strokes, etc.? If a patient presents to the ER according to EMTALA, patient must be at least stabilized no matter insurance status.
I realize there is no "Good" answer to this.

How does it work in Covid times? Who decides who gets to be treated?
And has it actually come to that anywhere yet?
Remember the big controversy over hospitals performing triage type assessments and patients with less likelihood to survive were given less treatment? I'd assume it's being done the same again if need be.

hopemax

Kungaloosh! Those were the days. 😀 Which CW/AC CMs were there?
The main speaker was Mary Thompson Hunt (regular CW performer, sub for Samantha Sterling at AC, Inga DePoint on Main Street, and announcement voice for several things at the park). There were also two "surprise" guests. Steve Purnick (CW, sub at AC but I'm not sure if he said who, Frozen Sing-a-long, Citizens of Hollywood) and the guy who played "Fingers" two nights a week at AC and also played two nights at CW. But I didn't catch his real name.

TrainsOfDisney

The main speaker was Mary Thompson Hunt (regular CW performer, sub for Samantha Sterling at AC, Inga DePoint on Main Street, and announcement voice for several things at the park). There were also two "surprise" guests. Steve Purnick (CW, sub at AC but I'm not sure if he said who, Frozen Sing-a-long, Citizens of Hollywood) and the guy who played "Fingers" two nights a week at AC and also played two nights at CW. But I didn't catch his real name.
Mary and Steve are both hilarious! How fun :)

maui2k7

The hospitalization numbers are just insane. But hopefully it keeps coming down.

This is the only reliable number with respect to how prevalent the virus is today. Not everyone who has the virus is getting tested, so we do not know the actual number of infected. Hospital numbers though are a good indicator. Let's hope Florida is past, at or near the peak and things begin to improve as September rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom