Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

A complete list of first world problems. I’ll give you that we would all rather not wear one but come on .. you are definitely reaching here. I’ve worn one for the last whatever since this all started.. never found it difficult to communicate but I’m sure people that need to read lips would so I understand the concern from them. Restrict breathing? I guess you can make a case for that in some individuals but for the majority I would say no. Maybe wearing them while pouring hot tar in 110 degree weather.. might find that restricting. Smell your own breath? Wow. Don’t eat liverwurst or garlic and you should be ok. Or pop some gum in your mouth. Sheesh.
I don't advise gum with masks if very minty. It can cause eyes to water. Bubble gum is fine but not as effective. I think York peppermint patties are a good middle ground.

DisneyDebRob

First, we cannot accept any degree of hospitalizations and resultant fatalities.

Second, vaccines were sold as a means to eradicate the virus which has now proven is not possible as vaccinated can contract and transmit virus.

Third, we have accepted reduced severity as the success criteria of the vaccine.
The key to herd immunity is that even if someone becomes infected there’s to few hosts around to maintain transmission.
Herd immunity is only relevant if we have a transmission-blocking vaccine. If we don’t, then the only way to get herd immunity in the population is to give everyone the vaccine. As we can see with the vaccines we have now is they don’t block it. Also, the world, and we need to think of it as a global pandemic not just vaccination rates in the US, is very low on the vaccinations, because of poverty, cannot get it etc.. that keeps the variants and the mutations continuing.
The solution of course still comes down to vaccinating everyone, including the world, then we can actually see light at the end of the tunnel.

JoeCamel

To clarify, no mask mandates allowed by the Governor but a few districts are challenging that. But kids are welcome to wear masks if they choose and thankfully some are. But there’s absolutely no sense of urgency to take precautions like we did last year and the COVID situation here is far worse. The official line on this sadly from top leadership is to prevent local officials from doing what they think is right based on conditions on the ground. There are no mandates— or even any encouragement— urging local governments to do the right thing. Only roadblocks preventing reasonable safety measures that were in place last year and helped keep cases at bay.

Not to ramble but it’s like preventing a beach town from mandating evacuations in the midst of a dangerous hurricane, because “freedom.”
Like mandates evacs are only mandatory if you let them be. You are free to stay with your property with the understanding that no government services would be forthcoming. Power, water EMS fire police all gone.
Sounds like what should happen with vaccines let alone masks......

Please don't bother replying with "mah freedom", that is what got us to where we are today. Could have been behind us months ago if not for "mah freedoms"

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Y'all and your pants... skirts for the win!
You don't wear pants with skirts 😮 😮 😮
Full House No Notes GIF

Patcheslee

No “live via Zoom” virtual learning at all in FL public schools this year. Florida Virtual is available to some but it is completely separate from kids’ chosen schools. Limited to no options for specialized programs such as IB, AICE etc.

Edited to add: Polkadotdress beat me to it 😀
That's what our district did to us. Only kids that can do virtual have to be approved and it's based on their academic performance last year. Unless they're making straight A's in all classes, no option. At least 3 districts in Indiana have gone back to VL because of too many kids in quarantine. It's causing some parents to take off work here again.

mmascari

First, we cannot accept any degree of hospitalizations and resultant fatalities.

Second, vaccines were sold as a means to eradicate the virus which has now proven is not possible as vaccinated can contract and transmit virus.

Third, we have accepted reduced severity as the success criteria of the vaccine.
That second bullet while technically true, needs all kinds of extra context.

These two statements:
  • The unvaccinated can contract and transmit the virus.
  • The vaccinated can contract and transmit the virus.
They are both technically correct. However, they are by no means equivalent and do not mean the same thing. They do not have the same impact on community spread and keeping the virus in circulation.

Not that you were doing this, but other posts that have said because of this there's no reason to get the vaccine are making a bad faith argument. They're treating them as if they're the same, when they are worlds apart.

If we have a room with an infected person singing and generally doing their best to infect everyone else in the room:
  1. If we have 100 people who are unvaccinated there, a large number of them are likely to be infected. All of those infected are likely to transmit the virus to someone else.
  2. If we have 100 people who are all vaccinated there, a small number are likely to be infected, and a small number of that small number are likely to transmit the virus to someone else for a smaller duration of time.
All those reductions for the vaccinated make a huge difference. Sure, it's not as good as if it was "none of them" instead of "small number". But, it's still a huge difference.

sullyinMT

What has me concerned is the children. Up until this point, children were making it out alright...now, delta seems to be ravaging them. With school starting I am worried we will see a tragedy that was avoidable.
Really, the children were protected the way some wanted to “protect the vulnerable” and open it all up. Now, vaccines have largely protected the (presumed) vulnerable by age and showed just how vulnerable everyone else is when no mitigation is attempted at all. Especially in low-vax areas. When even the best MT counties are ~60% GP one dose, we’re in for another long fall/winter.

Virtual Toad

And it’s happening. Two hours into the first day of classes. Quicker than we even thought.

Just got this from my child’s school (West Central Florida, 90 mins. from WDW for those who don’t already know):

“We were notified this morning of a positive COVID-19 case during the open house yesterday at our school and we are notifying all parents/guardians, faculty, and staff as a courtesy. Faculty, staff, and parents/guardians of students who were in close contact (6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) to this case are being notified with a message informing them of the quarantine requirement and any further instructions. ONLY families who have been in close contact WILL be notified. If you are not notified from an administrator that your student was in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you do not need to take any action at this time. Again, this is a courtesy notification.”

We were at this Open House, crowded into the lobby with everyone else waiting for the event to begin. With many unmasked. Now a positive test result less than a day later? We haven’t been notified yet but how in the world can the school know who was standing next to who? Did someone come to the Open House having already been tested and awaiting the results or were they tested first thing this morning?

And my child is in the building as we speak.

So when I get upset, when I criticize those who should be leading, when I criticize folks who could get vaccinated but don’t, when I rail against childish attitudes about wearing a mask, THIS is why I am upset. Because this thing is real. And people need to wake up and grow up. Now.

oceanbreeze77

And it’s happening. Two hours into the first day of classes. Quicker than we even thought.

Just got this from my child’s school (West Central Florida, 90 mins. from WDW for those who don’t already know):

“We were notified this morning of a positive COVID-19 case during the open house yesterday at our school and we are notifying all parents/guardians, faculty, and staff as a courtesy. Faculty, staff, and parents/guardians of students who were in close contact (6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) to this case are being notified with a message informing them of the quarantine requirement and any further instructions. ONLY families who have been in close contact WILL be notified. If you are not notified from an administrator that your student was in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, you do not need to take any action at this time. Again, this is a courtesy notification.”

We were at this Open House, crowded into the lobby with everyone else waiting for the event to begin. With many unmasked. Now a positive test result less than a day later? We haven’t been notified yet but how in the world can the school know who was standing next to who? Did someone come to the Open House having already been tested and awaiting the results or were they tested first thing this morning?

So when I get upset, when I criticize those who should be leading, when I criticize folks who could get vaccinated but don’t, when I rail against childish attitudes about wearing a mask, THIS is why I am upset. Because this thing is real. And people need to wake up and grow up. Now.
I'm sorry for all the parents who have no choice but to send their kid to school. I hope your child will be okay.

DisneyCane

Whatever level of effectiveness masks have, it is certainly much lower than you believe it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but the UK Delta spike happened before the mask mandates were dropped.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I remember getting a few of those emails last year. Wording almost identical.

DonniePeverley

They literally are an attack on the freedom not to be uncomfortable by wearing an uncomfortable and annoying mask. Whatever they do or don't do to slow the spread of COVID, many people (myself included) find wearing one uncomfortable. They make it more difficult to communicate, restrict breathing and cause you to smell your own breath after eating.
Good. So we don't have to suffer smelling your breath.

Oh and use a mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom