Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sending the kids back to school this morning kind of felt like we were sending them outside in the middle of a thunderstorm with golf clubs. At least they’re vaccinated and masked. But that’s the reality here right now. So here we are.
My risk assessment is a bit different than yours. But you obviously have a right to feel the way you do.

Virtual Toad

I know we know what our ancestors did. But I’m not convinced we know they did it without complaining.
The fact is — and this is undeniable— that even if there was complaining, they did far, far more than put a piece of cloth over their face. With a sense of common purpose and, for lack of a better word, patriotism. Have we really become this spoiled? This selfish? This petulant? I can only wonder what many of our WWII veterans would say about the pathetic and childish temper tantrums over mask wearing and reasonable safety measures we see today.

Virtual Toad

My risk assessment is a bit different than yours. But you obviously have a right to feel the way you do.
It’s... complicated. There are a lot of emotions bouncing around in our family right now, and a great deal of uncertainty based on what’s happening and/or not happening around us. Having our child’s teacher pass away from COVID, a former work associate take his own life because of the pandemic, and a parent locked away in a nursing home without being able to see her thanks to repeated outbreaks among unvaccinated employees has put us a bit on edge, maybe a little more than most or even a lot more than most. But we’re just trying to deal with it at this point because right now we’ve done everything else we can do.

Flugell

I know we know what our ancestors did. But I’m not convinced we know they did it without complaining.
A long time ago but you did reference ancestors.
Anecdotal,I know, however my Granddad signed up for the First World War by lying about his age. He was 15 but wanted to fight for his country. He survived the war, despite being wounded and abandoned in the mud of the Somme for 24 hours before being rescued by another British regiment and hospitalised. He was then sent back to the front for the remainder of the war. The constant clatter of guns and mortar rounds left him severely deaf for the remainder of his life. He NEVER complained or regretted his actions.

My great uncle died on his 19th birthday on 4th November 1918. He so nearly made it. He’s buried in France having been in the Royal Medical Corps. His father asked for a photograph of his grave but was told that such a thing was no longer available as the allocated funds had run out. They didn’t complain but remained fiercely proud of him.
Neither his mother or him ever saw his grave.

R. I. P. Lance Corporal Owain Glyndwr Davies.

mmascari

They literally are an attack on the freedom not to be uncomfortable by wearing an uncomfortable and annoying mask. Whatever they do or don't do to slow the spread of COVID, many people (myself included) find wearing one uncomfortable. They make it more difficult to communicate, restrict breathing and cause you to smell your own breath after eating.
Sometimes I feel the same way about pants.

Who's with me, pants free Wednesday! 🎉🚫👖

DisneyDebRob

They literally are an attack on the freedom not to be uncomfortable by wearing an uncomfortable and annoying mask. Whatever they do or don't do to slow the spread of COVID, many people (myself included) find wearing one uncomfortable. They make it more difficult to communicate, restrict breathing and cause you to smell your own breath after eating.
A complete list of first world problems. I’ll give you that we would all rather not wear one but come on .. you are definitely reaching here. I’ve worn one for the last whatever since this all started.. never found it difficult to communicate but I’m sure people that need to read lips would so I understand the concern from them. Restrict breathing? I guess you can make a case for that in some individuals but for the majority I would say no. Maybe wearing them while pouring hot tar in 110 degree weather.. might find that restricting. Smell your own breath? Wow. Don’t eat liverwurst or garlic and you should be ok. Or pop some gum in your mouth. Sheesh.

Nubs70

And why do you think we need herd immunity?
First, we cannot accept any degree of hospitalizations and resultant fatalities.

Second, vaccines were sold as a means to eradicate the virus which has now proven is not possible as vaccinated can contract and transmit virus.

Third, we have accepted reduced severity as the success criteria of the vaccine.

Disney Analyst

The fact is — and this is undeniable— that even if there was complaining, they did far, far more than put a piece of cloth over their face. With a sense of common purpose and, for lack of a better word, patriotism. Have we really become this spoiled? This selfish? This petulant? I can only wonder what many of our WWII veterans would say about the pathetic and childish temper tantrums over mask wearing and reasonable safety measures we see today.

I heard an analogy recently.

Imagine during the raids, everyone is told to keep their lights off at night so the planes can’t see you. Two neighbours decide that is against their freedom, and will not turn off their lights.

The planes target, and everyone in that neighbourhood suffers.

mmascari

Sometimes I feel the same way about pants.

Who's with me, pants free Wednesday! 🎉🚫👖
I realize I am totally able to go pants free within my own home. Nobody will come to complain or remind me to wear pants there. Someone might complain if I spend the time standing in front of an open window or door visible from the street.

Having made the decision to not wear pants, I'll need to deal with the consequences of that decision. I will not be able to go to the grocery store, restaurants, movie theater, concerts, most places within WDW, the park, walk down the street, and definitely not a school. If I choose to go to WDW, I'll be completely fine pants free while in the privacy of my hotel room. As long as I don't visit other places in the resort.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
First, we cannot accept any degree of hospitalizations and resultant fatalities.

Second, vaccines were sold as a means to eradicate the virus which has now proven is not possible as vaccinated can contract and transmit virus.

Third, we have accepted reduced severity as the success criteria of the vaccine.
Vaccines were sold here as a means to reduce the risks associated with the virus not to eradicate it. Possible mis-sell on them over that side of the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom