Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
I appreciate your follow up , that poster is missing the point.
Arguing about masks, college kids, and every other excuse when the answer is so simple to end this. It’s facts, historical, science. It’s called a vaccine.
I understand that, but what happens when we have to face reality concerning the vaccines? Not everyone will get them, and they are less effective against certain variants. I don’t think it’s laughable to say that, at this point, we need to face the fact that we will need to come to terms with living with COVID. That’s not to say we throw up our hands and do nothing - just that we may need to keep adjusting our solutions to the reality of our situation.

MrHappy

I understand that, but what happens when we have to face reality concerning the vaccines? Not everyone will get them, and they are less effective against certain variants. I don’t think it’s laughable to say that, at this point, we need to face the fact that we will need to come to terms with living with COVID. That’s not to say we throw up our hands and do nothing - just that we may need to keep adjusting our solutions to the reality of our situation.
Great post. I agree. I read that this will never go away because it’s the cousin of the cold. We need to vaccinate so this thing evolves into a meek variant. I don’t own stock in COVID, just a subjective voice learned from our very own @GoofGoof and others who have posted data.

TrainsOfDisney

Most ordinary people are confused and angered by the constant mixed messaging, politicization, and confusion.
While I don’t claim to be ordinary... I was annoyed that the cdc dropped masks and distancing before we reached the target percentage of vaccinated adults. They actually did “move the goalposts” that time and I believe it has set us back significantly.
I do think this is an important point... the vaccines are helping but we aren’t going to get everybody vacinated and even if we did unless we close the borders variants will find a way in. We are going to have to figure out how to live in a new normal and that may mean more masks and distancing. Just ignoring it doesn’t seem to be working.

Chi84

Premium Member
While I don’t claim to be ordinary... I was annoyed that the cdc dropped masks and distancing before we reached the target percentage of vaccinated adults. They actually did “move the goalposts” that time and I believe it has set us back significantly.

I do think this is an important point... the vaccines are helping but we aren’t going to get everybody vacinated and even if we did unless we close the borders variants will find a way in. We are going to have to figure out how to live in a new normal and that may mean more masks and distancing. Just ignoring it doesn’t seem to be working.
I personally favor employer mandates and vaccine passports because I don’t see masks and distancing as a long-term workable solution. I just don’t believe enough people will accept them as anything other than a temporary stop-gap measure.

TrainsOfDisney

I personally favor employer mandates and vaccine passports because I don’t see masks and distancing as a long-term workable solution. I just don’t believe enough people will accept them as anything other than a temporary stop-gap measure.
I feel the same about vaccine passports. They are fine for a “stop-gap” measure but having to show a vaccine card that you have the latest booster, etc. isn’t a long term solution either.

TrainsOfDisney

None unless needed. I’m vaccinated.

But if the authoritarians say a cloth mask works just as well, who am I to argue… of course if it didn’t then that would make most masks completely pointless right?
I’m vacinated as well.

I’ve never seen anyone (authoritarian or not) suggest that all masks work “just as well” as others. Any mask is better than no mask.

Chi84

Premium Member
I feel the same about vaccine passports. They are fine for a “stop-gap” measure but having to show a vaccine card that you have the latest booster, etc. isn’t a long term solution either.
I think the vaccines are our best way out though. My area of Illinois was very compliant with masks and social distancing, and that probably explains why we're in a better position than a lot of other states. When the CDC changed its guidance in May, most stores and restaurants changed their signs from "masks required" to "masks optional for those who are vaccinated." The CDC's guidance then changed (based on rising numbers) to recommend masks indoors regardless of vaccination status, but very few of the businesses in my area have adopted the new guidance. I honestly don't think they will. Regardless of how you feel about the matter, I think the reality of the situation (at least where I live) is that masks and social distancing will not return.

The good news is that we are hearing more and more about employers requiring their workers to be vaccinated. I expect this will happen even more after full FDA approval. In my opinion, this is our best hope.

TrainsOfDisney

I think the vaccines are our best way out though. My area of Illinois was very compliant with masks and social distancing, and that probably explains why we're in a better position than a lot of other states. When the CDC changed its guidance in May, most stores and restaurants changed their signs from "masks required" to "masks optional for those who are vaccinated." The CDC's guidance then changed (based on rising numbers) to recommend masks indoors regardless of vaccination status, but very few of the businesses in my area have adopted the new guidance. I honestly don't think they will. Regardless of how you feel about the matter, I think the reality of the situation (at least where I live) is that masks and social distancing will not return.

The good news is that we are hearing more and more about employers requiring their workers to be vaccinated. I expect this will happen even more after full FDA approval. In my opinion, this is our best hope.
I’ve been to several towns for work this week and I’ve seen “masks requested” signs and all employees masked at most businesses.

The only places I didn’t see this was a Qdoba in Kentucky and a local fast food place in Ohio.

lazyboy97o

If the vaccines are safe and effective and lead to minimal break through cases and significantly less impactful illnesses. Then you as a vaccinated person have nothing to worry about from an unvaccinated person.

Hospitals are unwilling or unable to pay for more staffing because it will cause them to loose money. Our healthcare system is a for profit system.

Someone has to pay for it.
Hospitals are cancelling their money making elective procedures to free up staff and resources to treat COVID patients. There are vaccinated people suffering because their care is being delayed to treat people who did not get vaccinated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ve been to several towns for work this week and I’ve seen “masks requested” signs and all employees masked at most businesses.

The only places I didn’t see this was a Qdoba in Kentucky and a local fast food place in Ohio.
I don’t doubt it. There seems to be a pretty great disparity between areas. I was a bit surprised that no one (except our local arboretum) has changed their mask requirements. Maybe the CDC change is too recent and businesses are still trying to figure out what they should do.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Hospitals are cancelling their money making elective procedures to free up staff and resources to treat COVID patients. There are vaccinated people suffering because their care is being delayed to treat people who did not get vaccinated.
Evidently Covid doesn’t pay well.

But you’re doing an end run around the problem. Clearly profitably of the system is more important than satisfying the current demand.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hi, poster right here. We were told that vaccines were our way to normalcy by our leaders, up until they weren’t and we’re now restricting everyone who has chosen to do the right thing. Most ordinary people are confused and angered by the constant mixed messaging, politicization, and confusion.
Th vaccines are our way out but we don’t have enough people vaccinated. It’s not that the vaccines failed, they are doing exactly hat they were advertised to do. It’s the unvaccinated people who have failed. If 95% of the population got the vaccine like measles or other common vaccines there would be no masking and distancing and negative economic impacts and hospitals full and death. The reason mitigations are back is because we failed to get enough people vaccinated. There’s no mixed message. It’s pretty straight forward.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Huh? How is giving up profitable procedures to treat money losing COVID patients an example of profitability being more important?

Hospitals keep minimal staffing levels to reduce costs.

More staffing means more cost and less profitability.

This model is ill equipped to handle surges brought about by Covid. Because hospitals can’t easily add surge capacity without tanking the viability of the hospital.

Hospitals have not added capacity to deal with Covid (more beds and equipment) because that requires a large investment for something that is seen to possibly not be as prevalent in 12-24 months, therefore not worthy of spending money.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Try to keep up.

Hospitals keep minimal staffing levels to reduce costs.

More staffing means more cost and less profitability.

This model is ill equipped to handle surges brought about by Covid. Because hospitals can’t easily add surge capacity without tanking the viability of the hospital.

Hospitals have not added capacity to deal with Covid (more beds and equipment) because that requires a large investment for something that is seen to possibly not be as prevalent in 12-24 months, therefore not worthy of spending money.
Hospitals have been hiring, or at least trying to, and adding capacity. Capacity isn’t limited just by staffing. When people are being treated in hallways there’s more than just a shortage of staff. Even if every hospital decided to add a new wing to deal with COVID-19 last year they still wouldn’t be open by now. It also wouldn’t address things like the shortages of supplies and equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom