Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartOfTeFiti

Been awhile since I've posted on this thread, but It appears I have another anecdotal data point to add... I came down with a mild fever yesterday, along with some congestion and overall felt very tired. This afternoon I took an at-home Covid antigen rapid test, and the results were positive. Apparently I've 'beaten the odds', and had a breakthrough infection (J&J vaccine back in April).

I suspect I got it at work (most are masking in common areas, but not at our desks, and my 'office' is a room of 6'x6' cubes.. basically the worst possible environment as I'm within 12 feet of maybe 20 people for hours). My wife and I have been minimizing our exposure and masking while out otherwise in the last week, and haven't really been anywhere beyond some quick shopping trips. We were down at Disney Springs for brunch last Saturday, and technically timelines would place that in the realm of possibility for exposure also, so who knows. It's hard to believe just last weekend almost no one there was masking, indoors or out. We weren't yet because we didn't make the decision to ramp-up our mitigation until last Sunday. Really there's no way to trace where I got it from.

So far I've had mostly mild / moderate symptoms, and consider that a 'win' for the vaccine. I intend to go wait at the county health site tomorrow morning for a follow-up PCR test to confirm, right now trying to book a walk-in clinic or pharmacy for a covid test in the Central Florida area you're looking at Wednesday for first available, or waiting for hours 'standby'. I felt lucky to snag an at-home test as many locations were already sold out.

Guess I'm going to be isolating for the next however long it is these days, and for that I'm irritated at work for pushing everyone back to the office in early June for a job that is easily done remotely. Seems like that decision is going to bite them now, as I've just taken out a good chunk of the department as 'close contacts', never mind however many other infections pop up in our larger group.
Thanks for sharing the details of your situation. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a quick recovery. Please update us on your progress and also let us know if your family or close contacts test positive as well.

celluloid

If nothing else in the country is closed, how does Disney justify it? It's not March 2020 where literally everything pushed pause. This time everything is staying the course as far as operating. If Disney closed, Universal would just get the crowds. And with half of the country vaccinated, should we really be closing businesses and putting countless people out of work (again) and forcing them to stay home when they have significant protection from the virus?

The odds of Universal, Disney and Sea World closing separately outside of inclement weather early closings are always very slim. They are always on good faith conference calls when making those kind of big calls such as shutting down pre Hurricane day.(s)

Tony the Tigger

Been awhile since I've posted on this thread, but It appears I have another anecdotal data point to add... I came down with a mild fever yesterday, along with some congestion and overall felt very tired. This afternoon I took an at-home Covid antigen rapid test, and the results were positive. Apparently I've 'beaten the odds', and had a breakthrough infection (J&J vaccine back in April).

I suspect I got it at work (most are masking in common areas, but not at our desks, and my 'office' is a room of 6'x6' cubes.. basically the worst possible environment as I'm within 12 feet of maybe 20 people for hours). My wife and I have been minimizing our exposure and masking while out otherwise in the last week, and haven't really been anywhere beyond some quick shopping trips. We were down at Disney Springs for brunch last Saturday, and technically timelines would place that in the realm of possibility for exposure also, so who knows. It's hard to believe just last weekend almost no one there was masking, indoors or out. We weren't yet because we didn't make the decision to ramp-up our mitigation until last Sunday. Really there's no way to trace where I got it from.

So far I've had mostly mild / moderate symptoms, and consider that a 'win' for the vaccine. I intend to go wait at the county health site tomorrow morning for a follow-up PCR test to confirm, right now trying to book a walk-in clinic or pharmacy for a covid test in the Central Florida area you're looking at Wednesday for first available, or waiting for hours 'standby'. I felt lucky to snag an at-home test as many locations were already sold out.

Guess I'm going to be isolating for the next however long it is these days, and for that I'm irritated at work for pushing everyone back to the office in early June for a job that is easily done remotely. Seems like that decision is going to bite them now, as I've just taken out a good chunk of the department as 'close contacts', never mind however many other infections pop up in our larger group.
I’m sorry to hear and hope you recover quickly.

An acquaintance on my FB page posted yesterday that he went to a small get together (not a party) at someone’s home recently, and one unvaccinated person who later tested positive infected 6 people who were all fully vaccinated.

It would appear viral load (via extended exposure) has something to do with this.

ImperfectPixie

I'm sorry to hear this...please keep us informed, and I do hope you feel better very quickly.

Flugell

@techgeek . First of all hoping that you feel better soon and that the rest of your family stay negative. In the U.K. we have free access to the home tests and they have been very useful and effective. Sorry to discover that you have to pay for yours.
Secondly thanks for taking the test because each negative/positive test of immunised people helps to improve the data on the likelihood of breakthrough cases. If people don’t test because they feel they only have slight symptoms that, whilst being understandable to some extent, diminishes the accuracy of cases and breakthrough cases. It also risks greater spread.

ImperfectPixie

An acquaintance on my FB page posted yesterday that he went to a small get together (not a party) at someone’s home recently, and one unvaccinated person who later tested positive infected 6 people who were all fully vaccinated.

It would appear viral load (via extended exposure) has something to do with this.
Any idea the percentage of vaccinated people infected? I'm curious what it is in comparison to the Cape outbreak.

HeartOfTeFiti

@techgeek . First of all hoping that you feel better soon and that the rest of your family stay negative. In the U.K. we have free access to the home tests and they have been very useful and effective. Sorry to discover that you have to pay for yours.
Secondly thanks for taking the test because each negative/positive test of immunised people helps to improve the data on the likelihood of breakthrough cases. If people don’t test because they feel they only have slight symptoms that, whilst being understandable to some extent, diminishes the accuracy of cases and breakthrough cases. It also risks greater spread.
No one in my household has had need of testing but from what I understand there are government run test sites where you can get tested free of charge. It was much advertised by the government that covid testing would be free, but I know quite a few people who went to private doctors or urgent care centers thinking the test was free only to later receive a bill in the mail. My understanding is that in those situations, although the government technically picked up the tab for the actual test, the doctors office or facility can charge a fee to administer the test, in some cases more than $100.

Tony the Tigger

Any idea the percentage of vaccinated people infected? I'm curious what it is in comparison to the Cape outbreak.
I don’t know yet.

Also keeping an eye on family. Bizarrely, cousins from NJ who never go anywhere brought one of their kids down here so he could go to “Rolling Loud” in Miami with a friend(!!!!!) It’s outdoors at the football stadium, but who knows. My Aunt who hadn’t been on a plane since the 60’s came, too. They went home on Monday, and she now has pneumonia, but supposedly bacterial (not Covid.) They are all vaccinated (and some of their kids already had Covid up there.)

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Effective Monday, all facilities in AdventHealth’s Central Florida division will have a change to their visitation policy.

The policy change is being made to support AdventHealth team members better care for the increasing number of COVID patients being seen across Central Florida.

The Central Florida division includes Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Polk, Volusia and Flagler counties.

Changes to the policy are as follows:
  • Instead of in-person visits, there will only be virtual visits for those wanting to see COVID-19 positive patients. Exceptions will be made for children under 18, obstetrics, pediatrics and end of life situations.
  • For non-COVID-19 patients, one visitor will be allowed at a time.
  • For obstetrics and pediatric patients, two visitors at at time will be allowed.
  • Under-18 COVID-19 patients will be allowed two adult caregivers at a time
  • OB COVID-19 positive symptomatic — C-Section — patients will be allowed two visitors a day, but none will be allowed in the operating room.
On Thursday, AdventHealth Central Florida moved to ‘black’ status and deferred all non-emergency surgeries at hospitals throughout the division. The status is being reviewed daily and will be updated should conditions change."

HeartOfTeFiti

I don’t know yet.

Also keeping an eye on family. Bizarrely, cousins from NJ who never go anywhere brought one of their kids down here so he could go to “Rolling Loud” in Miami with a friend(!!!!!) It’s outdoors at the football stadium, but who knows. My Aunt who hadn’t been on a plane since the 60’s came, too. They went home on Monday, and she now has pneumonia, but supposedly bacterial (not Covid.) They are all vaccinated (and some of their kids already had Covid up there.)
Wow, Tony, what I time to get on a plane after not doing so for 60 years! I hope that your aunt is resting comfortably and that she recovers quickly.

techgeek

Thanks for sharing the details of your situation. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a quick recovery. Please update us on your progress and also let us know if your family or close contacts test positive as well.

I would like I say I haven't seen similar anecdotal experiences from around town.. but all you have to do here is open up nextdoor or facebook and there they are.

I'm sorry to hear this...please keep us informed, and I do hope you feel better very quickly.

Thank you all for the kind words. So far so good, symptom-wise. I'm just tired more than anything and been sleeping a bunch. My wife is so far not displaying any symptoms, but she'll be testing tomorrow just to check (she's got Moderna, so that will be interesting if she dodges it).

The test kit was about $25, so not a huge expense but definitely enough to dissuade some from seeking it out. There's one county test site here in my local area that's Monday-Friday only, during the weekends it's especially hard to get a test without driving a distance and waiting. It's like we still failed after all of this at making easy and convenient testing accessible.

LaughingGravy

My like to your post is a huge thank you for sharing. First person anecdotals are important.

HeartOfTeFiti

I would like I say I haven't seen similar anecdotal experiences from around town.. but all you have to do here is open up nextdoor or facebook and there they are.

Thank you all for the kind words. So far so good, symptom-wise. I'm just tired more than anything and been sleeping a bunch. My wife is so far not displaying any symptoms, but she'll be testing tomorrow just to check (she's got Moderna, so that will be interesting if she dodges it).

The test kit was about $25, so not a huge expense but definitely enough to dissuade some from seeking it out. There's one county test site here in my local area that's Monday-Friday only, during the weekends it's especially hard to get a test without driving a distance and waiting. It's like we still failed after all of this at making easy and convenient testing accessible.
I had the J&J while my husband and most others I know of had Pfizer, so I'll be curious to hear about your wife. Of course I hope she doesn't get sick at all but the comparison is important information.

Yeah, the testing definitely is not as simple as the government messaging suggests. Sitting in a doctor's office or standing on a long line is the last thing you want to be doing, and by the way, make sure you don't get sick on a weekend!

jpinkc

According to the article above, the Columbian variant is only 10% of cases in south Florida...they're watching to see if that increases to see if it will become dominant, but they don't think it will because it's not as robust as Delta.
Yeah I read about the Lambda variant, and the report I read said it did not have the high transmission rate of Delta. But it was on the rise in the US, but less than 10% of new cases had it.

jpinkc

@techgeek Hope your recovery is swift!! (or even more a False/Postive). Hope the wife dodges it too!! Mine had threatened to kill me if I bring it home. Sucks to be an Essential worker o_O. I still find that term kinda ridiculous in the situation.

James J

In the Parks
No
No one in my household has had need of testing but from what I understand there are government run test sites where you can get tested free of charge. It was much advertised by the government that covid testing would be free, but I know quite a few people who went to private doctors or urgent care centers thinking the test was free only to later receive a bill in the mail. My understanding is that in those situations, although the government technically picked up the tab for the actual test, the doctors office or facility can charge a fee to administer the test, in some cases more than $100.

That's mad. As @Flugell said, we have access to free home testing in the UK as well as free drive through PCR testing. They're super quick on the delivery for the home testing kits too - I ordered some last Wednesday after being told to self-isolate because of close contact, and they turned up the next morning. Thankfully all negative so far!

Patcheslee

That's what we have around here, with insurance the office visit charge is $98. The only government site in town shut down a few months ago, so no one has free access. People without insurance it's $130 office visit.
On top of that employers policy is we only get paid short term disability IF a test is positive. If we report symptoms but a negative test result, we still can't return to work for 10 days, and we don't get paid. We're back to people not wanting to self report because they may have to go without pay. For me it's the equivalent of losing around $1000 take home pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom