Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartOfTeFiti

I do wonder if Florida is having emergence of a further variant. I don't particularly have faith in the US surveillance system to pick up on that very quickly. I say that on the back of the hospitalizations in particular seem peculiarly high given decent vaccination of at risk age groups.

Some food for thought.
Indeed!

ImperfectPixie

I do wonder if Florida is having emergence of a further variant. I don't particularly have faith in the US surveillance system to pick up on that very quickly. I say that on the back of the hospitalizations in particular seem peculiarly high given decent vaccination of at risk age groups.

Some food for thought.
They checked which variant caused the Cape Cod outbreak, I'd be surprised if they aren't periodically checking for new variants in Florida, too.

Tony the Tigger

Disney (and the economy) aren't closing again. You can say they should and even put it in all caps.
Who here asked for that?

Some food for thought.
Apparently they found another one from South America here, too.

Lilofan

They checked which variant caused the Cape Cod outbreak, I'd be surprised if they aren't periodically checking for new variants in Florida, too.
As of July 29, there was news in FL linking a strain coming from Colombia to FL. In FL, there are sizeable communities of Colombians living in Central and South Florida with many travelers entering Miami International airport. I have visited Colombia and a number of carriers offer non stop from MIA to Colombia.

hopemax

Some food for thought.
They have identified that the Colombia variant B.1.621 (no Greek letter yet) makes up 10% of cases in South Florida. So I assume they are looking.

StaceyH_SD

“Public Health England said there was currently no evidence to indicate that the B.1.621 variant causes more severe disease or can evade vaccines, but is investigating it to better understand the impact mutations have on the coronavirus, reports the Washington Post.

In the US the variant has not been named a variant of interest or concern, as overall it accounts for just over two per cent of cases as of mid-July, said John Sellick, a professor at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo.”

BrianLo

I hope so, it wasn't meant to be alarmist! My other suspicion is that cases are just being under-reported right now. It's just odd that hospitalizations rate seem unfazed and Florida in particular is certainly going through something.

It's still likely all Delta and Florida hosting constant super spreader type travel patterns.

I'm just annoyed and expect my home province wants to go through the same thing by attempting to be dense and dismissive of the pandemic. (Alberta).

ImperfectPixie

I hope so, it wasn't meant to be alarmist! My other suspicion is that cases are just being under-reported right now. It's just odd that hospitalizations rate seem unfazed and Florida in particular is certainly going through something.

It's still likely all Delta and Florida hosting constant super spreader type travel patterns.

I'm just annoyed and expect my home province wants to go through the same thing by attempting to be dense and dismissive of the pandemic. (Alberta).
According to the article above, the Columbian variant is only 10% of cases in south Florida...they're watching to see if that increases to see if it will become dominant, but they don't think it will because it's not as robust as Delta.

techgeek

Been awhile since I've posted on this thread, but It appears I have another anecdotal data point to add... I came down with a mild fever yesterday, along with some congestion and overall felt very tired. This afternoon I took an at-home Covid antigen rapid test, and the results were positive. Apparently I've 'beaten the odds', and had a breakthrough infection (J&J vaccine back in April).

I suspect I got it at work (most are masking in common areas, but not at our desks, and my 'office' is a room of 6'x6' cubes.. basically the worst possible environment as I'm within 12 feet of maybe 20 people for hours). My wife and I have been minimizing our exposure and masking while out otherwise in the last week, and haven't really been anywhere beyond some quick shopping trips. We were down at Disney Springs for brunch last Saturday, and technically timelines would place that in the realm of possibility for exposure also, so who knows. It's hard to believe just last weekend almost no one there was masking, indoors or out. We weren't yet because we didn't make the decision to ramp-up our mitigation until last Sunday. Really there's no way to trace where I got it from.

So far I've had mostly mild / moderate symptoms, and consider that a 'win' for the vaccine. I intend to go wait at the county health site tomorrow morning for a follow-up PCR test to confirm, right now trying to book a walk-in clinic or pharmacy for a covid test in the Central Florida area you're looking at Wednesday for first available, or waiting for hours 'standby'. I felt lucky to snag an at-home test as many locations were already sold out.

Guess I'm going to be isolating for the next however long it is these days, and for that I'm irritated at work for pushing everyone back to the office in early June for a job that is easily done remotely. Seems like that decision is going to bite them now, as I've just taken out a good chunk of the department as 'close contacts', never mind however many other infections pop up in our larger group.

jlhwdw

It’s obvious that tourist destinations with no restrictions have been causing hospitals to fill up. Orlando, Branson, Las Vegas.

What’s your solution? Just let the hospitals film up?
If nothing else in the country is closed, how does Disney justify it? It's not March 2020 where literally everything pushed pause. This time everything is staying the course as far as operating. If Disney closed, Universal would just get the crowds. And with half of the country vaccinated, should we really be closing businesses and putting countless people out of work (again) and forcing them to stay home when they have significant protection from the virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom