Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

Whether WDW, DL or any other entertainment venues, tourist destinations or sports venues are closed down / unavailable "TRAVEL" due to commerce and (legal or illegal) migrations will occur anyway. People move around globally, the genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. Humans will need to adapt.

DisneyCane

There is something causing Florida to outpace every state in the Union, that’s the only thing I can think of. We are missing something, and it’s not rural city breakdown, Texas is not having nearly as many issues as FL.
Yet... Take a look at the seven day rolling avg graph for TX.

HeartOfTeFiti

Whether WDW, DL or any other entertainment venues, tourist destinations or sports venues are closed down / unavailable "TRAVEL" due to commerce and (legal or illegal) migrations will occur anyway. People move around globally, the genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. Humans will need to adapt.
Does it have to be all or nothing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Okay, Thanks for the answer. That was my question. Is travel spreading the virus? If it's not than I'll put up my white flag and urge everyone to have a great trip!
Travel in general is spreading the virus. If everyone just stays home then the virus has less places to spread. However, lots of people rely on travel and leisure for their livelihood too. So if we all stayed home, didn’t travel or eat in a restaurant or go to the movies or go to any place where we would interact with the public we would slow the spread some but it would come at a large economic cost. We would also need people to agree to not get together in private homes as well. Basically stay at home without the official order.

GimpYancIent

Travel in general is spreading the virus. If everyone just stays home then the virus has less places to spread. However, lots of people rely on travel and leisure for their livelihood too. So if we all stayed home, didn’t travel or eat in a restaurant or go to the movies or go to any place where we would interact with the public we would slow the spread some but it would come at a large economic cost. We would also need people to agree to not get together in private homes as well. Basically stay at home without the official order.
So there its is! People agreeing. That is not happening and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Touchdown

Yet... Take a look at the seven day rolling avg graph for TX.
I have, here’s the curves starting when FL surge started.
92B169B6-EB6D-4D6C-8004-36FC5F741D28.jpeg
51CD7721-D5C7-433F-A5FD-F422FBADDCA6.jpeg

Texas is only 1 week behind Florida and has a larger population. When you adjust for population, Texas numbers are more similar to where FL was 2 (nearly 3) weeks ago.

Side note: 0.5% of the Florida Population Got diagnosed with Covid, YESTERDAY!

Last edited:

hopemax

Twitter link to the CDC's link to "New Hospitalizations by Age"

So looking at Florida now vs winter peak. Per 100,000 population

0-17 .72 .59 +22%
17-29 2.88 1.28 +125%
30-39 5.73 2.42 +137%
40-49 7.73 3.36 +130%
50-59 8.96 5.38 +65%
60-69 8.86 7.91 +12%
70+ 11.17 16.85 -34% (edit, I forget to subtract from 100, in case someone saw the higher number)

So while this is still predominantly an aged based event... Older you are, more likely to end up in a hospitalization... You can definitely see the difference (now vs then) for those aged 17-49 than those 50+ who are more likely to have been vaccinated. For those 30-39, it used to be that 70+ were hospitalized at a rate of 7:1, now it's only 2:1.

Last edited:

hopemax

There is something causing Florida to outpace every state in the Union, that’s the only thing I can think of. We are missing something, and it’s not rural city breakdown, Texas is not having nearly as many issues as FL.
Looking at the same hospital data, Texas' winter wave looks like it affected many more people than Florida's. Texas may be seeing the benefit of more people having natural immunity.

Winter peak hospitalizations per 100,000 Texas vs Florida

70+ 28.77 16.85
60-69 13.65 7.91
50-59 8.41 5.38

and so on

HeartOfTeFiti

I'm really not trying to argue with you simply for the sake of arguing. You make frequent excellent points.
However, I think that the impact to the economy from people not doing certain things is less cut and dry than saying that if you aren't vacationing, eating out, going to bars, going to the movie theater, then you are withholding your money from the good people trying to earn a living in the service and hospitality industries. We have cancelled 5 trips since this all started, 3 of them would have been to Disney. I didn't just stick that money in the bank. We put in an inground pool, we had a pool house built, we re-landscaped our entire yard. We're not do it yourselfers, so we paid people to do these things. We're still doing our part to help the economy, just in different ways, and without swapping germs up and down the entire East Coast. We also rented a house for a week with a private beach in a quiet area. We don't go out to eat right now, but we do get meals delivered or do curb side pick up. We tip the drivers. We tip the restaurant staff. We don't go out for drinks, but we get alcohol delivered. Again, we tip the driver. No we haven't gone to the movies but we still stream paid content at home.
As far as gatherings at home, yes, it's been documented that people spread covid this way. But it can be done responsibly. Other than a few furniture deliveries and an issue needing a plumber, no one that I don't know well enough to believe they are vaccinated has entered our home. But we have had small indoor gatherings with people we trust, people who are like minded about covid precautions. We've had some nice outdoor gatherings as well and everyone is managing just fine with fewer hugs and handshakes.
It's about making adjustments, and in general I just feel like some people aren't doing enough. You can help the economy without being in a crowd and you can have a good time while choosing a somewhat less risky option.
The all or nothing attitude really bothers me.

Last edited:

willtravel

Mandatory vaccinations already exist in the USA for children to enter the school system. It is done for public health to eliminate such diseases as measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, rabies, hepatitis B, rotavirus, haemophilus, influenza type B and tuberculosis.

There is no valid reason not to make the COVID-19 vaccine compulsory.
I never got all of those vaccines and it was not asked of me to show any proof. Catholic grade school and public high school.

correcaminos

But you don’t have to go to public school … can go to private or be home schooled. Even if u go to public school, you can EASILY get exemptions. There are no mandatory vaccine laws in the US
Not sure where you live, but it isn't easy here. State requires education here. Private schools here require vaccination in my area leaving only home school.

In my city about 70-75% who are able to are vaccinated against covid. So I feel much safer sending my kid to school (13yo). Our school is requesting vaccine proof when done and strongly suggesting vaccination. Not all places will be kind or make it easy.

Today at church one of our friends is going in for covid testing prior to surgery. Covid+ means no surgery. We've all been fully vaccinated but without even asking us, we all masked up for her. It isn't hard to do.

For some, getting time off for vaccination is a financial hardship. For those it is not, they need to just do it. Just prolongs this crap for the rest of us.

I never got all of those vaccines and it was not asked of me to show any proof. Catholic grade school and public high school.
How old are you? I had to show proof myself and even had to get MMR and Dtap a 2nd time when paper records were lost while in HS. I am in my early 40s. My child has to show proof and I even sent in ones for 7th grade that were required. This is true for all Public, Catholic and otherwise private in my city.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm really not trying to argue with you simply for the sake of arguing. You make frequent excellent points.
However, I think that the impact to the economy from people not doing certain things is less cut and dry than saying that if you aren't vacationing, eating out, going to bars, going to the movie theater, then you are withholding your money from the good people trying to earn a living in the service and hospitality industries. We have cancelled 5 trips since this all started, 3 of them would have been to Disney. I didn't just stick that money in the bank. We put in an inground pool, we had a pool house built, we re-landscaped our entire yard. We're not do it yourselfers, so we paid people to do these things. We're still doing our part to help the economy, just in different ways, and without swapping germs up and down the entire East Coast. We also rented a house for a week with a private beach in a quiet area. We don't go out to eat right now, but we do get meals delivered or do curb side pick up. We tip the drivers. We tip the restaurant staff. We don't go out for drinks, but we get alcohol delivered. Again, we tip the driver. No we haven't gone to the movies but we still stream paid content at home.
As far as gatherings at home, yes, it's been documented that people spread covid this way. But it can be done responsibly. Other than a few furniture deliveries and an issue needing a plumber, no one that I don't know well enough to believe they are vaccinated has entered our home. But we have had small indoor gatherings with people we trust, people who are like minded about covid precautions. We've had some nice outdoor gatherings as well and everyone is managing just fine with fewer hugs and handshakes.
It's about making adjustments, and in general I just feel like some people aren't doing enough. You can help the economy without being in a crowd and you can have a good time while choosing a somewhat less risky option.
The all or nothing attitude really bothers me.
I think you missed my point. Someone suggested nobody should travel to WDW right now. If nobody travels there it closes. That has a huge negative impact on the CMs who work there and the flight attendants and airport workers from the cancelled flights and the taxi/Uber drivers and the rest of the local tourism economy. If you spend the money saved from cancelling a WDW trip on an in-ground pool that’s great for the company and workers installing pools and helps the macro economy overall but doesn‘t help the CM who works at one of the shuttered hotels at WDW. We are talking specifically about the micro-economic impact to the local economy. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with people deciding they don’t want to travel now or ever, just that if everyone decided not to travel it would have a major impact on areas that rely heavily on tourism. Last year when many of those employees were still furloughed they got the extra federal unemployment to help them get by. That ends next month.

Touchdown

I think you missed my point. Someone suggested nobody should travel to WDW right now. If nobody travels there it closes. That has a huge negative impact on the CMs who work there and the flight attendants and airport workers from the cancelled flights and the taxi/Uber drivers and the rest of the local tourism economy. If you spend the money saved from cancelling a WDW trip on an in-ground pool that’s great for the company and workers installing pools and helps the macro economy overall but doesn‘t help the CM who works at one of the shuttered hotels at WDW. We are talking specifically about the micro-economic impact to the local economy. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with people deciding they don’t want to travel now or ever, just that if everyone decided not to travel it would have a major impact on areas that rely heavily on tourism. Last year when many of those employees were still furloughed they got the extra federal unemployment to help them get by. That ends next month.
I don’t care if I’m vaxxed with such high numbers if I lived there I would live like March 2020 all over again, it’s way too prevelant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom