Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

Broadway in Orlando starts back up in November, when does NYC start back up? Is it different for on vs off-Broadway productions?

There’s a been a few shows on broadway theaters. Keeping on topic Disney put on some broadway concerts similar to the arts festival / D23 concerts at the New Amsterdam last week.

The “real” shows start opening up in October.

On the West End, Mary Poppins opens up in August.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

dreday3

It's hard for me to wrap my head around with the news that came out today, the alarm was sounded, why isn't indoor masking just recommended again all over instead of just high transmission areas? The way they make it sound, nobody has a chance of escaping cases in their area.

What's the hold up? Just every city that will (I know some don't) should start the indoor masking mandate TODAY. Why are we waiting? Why not just start now so we don't have to do further mitigations down the road.

Like Illinois - all we have is masks in government buildings right now, but our biggest areas are high transmission at this point.

Ugh. We started wearing masks indoors again today on our own.
But I'm keeping our dinner reservations! :D

Heppenheimer

Fun little article:

Reads like an Onion article.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Publix will again require employees to wear masks to protect against coronavirus while inside any of the grocery store chain’s locations beginning Monday.

Workers must follow the rule regardless of their vaccination status, according to spokeswoman Maria Brous. In May, the company made face coverings optional for fully vaccinated staffers and shoppers.

“We continue to encourage, but not require, our associates to get vaccinated,” Brous said."

pixie225

Broadway in Orlando starts back up in November, when does NYC start back up? Is it different for on vs off-Broadway productions?

There are a number of shows starting up in September on Broadway: Wicked, Lion King, Waitress, Come From Away, Hamilton, Hades Town, Aladdin for example. The other shows - on and off Broadway - are starting anywhere from October through January.

James J

In the Parks
No
For those who like to keep an eye on cases in the U.K.
Cases have decreased today as has the R number though it remains between 1 and 1.2 which is still a worry.
Contrary to other posters from the U.K. mask wearing remains nearly 100% ( according to my neighbour) as we are isolating. She went to work in a shop on Wednesday and was told mask wearing for staff was optional. As she was safely behind plexiglass she thought she would go mask free. Within half an hour she put it on because EVERY customer was wearing one, looking at her with alarm and she felt guilty! Our local % of vaccination is 83% of all adults over the age of 18 are fully vaccinated! My experience is that vaccination is still progressing apace. Our son gets his 2nd dose on August 4th so isn’t yet one of the 83%. (His age meant he was one of the last group to be eligible.)
It seems that London is the area letting us down.

I've found that staff in shops/restaurants/cafes wearing masks is still at around 100%, which has been nice to see. Except for, bizarrely, Pret A Manger. They've removed all of their plexiglass and not a single member of staff was wearing a mask behind the counter, despite the close proximity to each other. Their competitors in town have been the opposite, with plexiglass still in place and all staff masked.

Bristol (from where I must have been pinged by the app) is the real hotspot near us. My parents work for the DWP and their offices in the city have been decimated by staff both getting the virus or being told to isolate by track and trace. It's a nightmare but I'm not overly surprised after seeing the lack of masking last weekend.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
"Publix will again require employees to wear masks to protect against coronavirus while inside any of the grocery store chain’s locations beginning Monday.

Workers must follow the rule regardless of their vaccination status, according to spokeswoman Maria Brous. In May, the company made face coverings optional for fully vaccinated staffers and shoppers.

“We continue to encourage, but not require, our associates to get vaccinated,” Brous said."

Curious, I don't see mention of shoppers. I am guessing still optional for shoppers?

E7jhV6WVEAElMmU.png

celluloid

Curious, I don't see mention of shoppers. I am guessing still optional for shoppers?

This is the new way for many business and the optics/guest service appeal.

They can make those wanting to be masked happy and feel comfortable with those they interact with up close such as cashiers or deli/servers

And since it is up to the customer, they can be happy with not being told what to do while they shop. It is how a lot of business are going to play this one now.

hopemax

This factor kind of argues to let delta rip as quickly as possible through the unvaccinated (and whatever breakthroughs occur) to get to herd immunity and end the pandemic. It seems to me that flattening the curve will accomplish nothing but keep Delta around longer and lead to more reinfections and possibly breakthroughs.

I'm suggesting this worldwide, not just in the USA. There is no chance to get enough people vaccinated to get near herd immunity in less than 180 days. I realize there will be illness, death, etc. I don't know what the better suggestion is to be honest.
Backing up to this, although others covered it

There is no path where Delta goes away. It will either be replaced by a variant that could very well have similar properties that make Delta so problematic. Or it remains the dominant strain, and lingers around in pockets that can flare under the right conditions (seasonality, combined with waning immunity). New variant or same, people will continue to be exposed to something that can replicate fast enough to infect them whenever their NAbs start to wane. Concerns about rates of re-infection (and less serious consequences) should not take precedence over protecting people from first infection (serious consequences). Endemic means we will be dealing with the virus again, and again. We just hope we've created conditions that make it less damaging.

Your way still maximizes damage, with overwhelmed facilities, and personnel. It will be worse, in areas that already have insufficient medical resources. Vaccinations are still highly successful at preventing severe consequences over natural infection. It's not up to you to decide that places with less resources have to just take it on the chin. What this should indicate is that if Americans are going to be dumb about this, we should shift to getting the rest of the world vaccinated as much as possible, as fast as possible.

Also, if we can improve on the dosing requirements of our 1st gen vaccines, to lower rates of re-infection, or eliminate or shorten the period of time where people experience high viral loads. Not treat vaccines like trash because 1st Gen doesn't have all the features of an iPhone 12. And stop indulging people who promote this thinking.

We were told "We are trying for this, we are hoping for that." "We have this now, but any new variant could change things." People only heard "We have this and that, now and in the future." I don't know how to make people hear and absorb without twisting and re-imaging things into pretzels.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This is the new way for many business and the optics/guest service appeal.

They can make those wanting to be masked happy and feel comfortable with those they interact with up close such as cashiers or deli/servers

And since it is up to the customer, they can be happy with not being told what to do while they shop. It is how a lot of business are going to play this one now.
Interesting turn of events.

hopemax

Walmart is also going to masks for employees, which is a sign about where things are going to end up.

Just remember having the choice about what protection you use or not, doesn't give you choice about the consequences. Saying no to masks /= no bad consequences.

"The Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer is also reversing its mask policy for its employees — including vaccinated ones — who work in stores, clubs and facilities to wear masks in areas with high infection rates."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom