Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

That religious loophole really gets to me. We have that in our state and I hate it.

The simple solution to that is to require proof of active participation in said religion. Your religious beliefs prevent you from getting the shot? Great! There must be cancelled checks from donations you've made to this church over the years, pictures of you at church events (that are more than a week old), etc. You can't be that devoutly religious without leaving behind some evidence of your participation. If you're unable or unwilling to provide proof then you don't get to participate in whatever it is you're trying to do. Put that requirement in place and watch the whining unfold as people complain that it's not fair that they have to prove that they have a legitimate exemption from the requirement. I'd bet you'd see a drastic decline in the number of people getting exempt status.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The simple solution to that is to require proof of active participation in said religion. Your religious beliefs prevent you from getting the shot? Great! There must be cancelled checks from donations you've made to this church over the years, pictures of you at church events (that are more than a week old), etc. You can't be that devoutly religious without leaving behind some evidence of your participation. If you're unable or unwilling to provide proof then you don't get to participate in whatever it is you're trying to do. Put that requirement in place and watch the whining unfold as people complain that it's not fair that they have to prove that they have a legitimate exemption from the requirement. I'd bet you'd see a drastic decline in the number of people getting exempt status.
I’m all for people practicing whatever they believe. Just not when it puts others at risk of a virus that can potentially kill or leave you with long-term illness. Otherwise, they can cloister themselves somewhere in the mountains together.

But, I’m sure that they’ll leave it up to those around them to do what they need “to feel safe.” Seems to be a common theme from those who allegedly follow the teachings of religions that promote exactly the opposite.

GimpYancIent

Wow! Sounds like something out of the IRS tax exemption regulations. How many years back does a person need to retain said evidence?

Chip Chipperson

Wow! Sounds like something out of the IRS tax exemption regulations. How many years back does a person need to retain said evidence?

For as long as they'd like. It's not too hard to retain or obtain bank records of checks or credit card payments showing that you have a history of donating to a church that prohibits vaccinations for its members. If someone is asking the rest of the population to allow them to evade the rules in place for everyone else then they shouldn't be able to just claim it's true and expect to be believed. People collecting disability are technically getting an exemption from working and we expect them to provide medical proof in order for them to collect their payments. Same concept - and it should be more stringent because the injured person is saying, "I'd like to be a part of the workforce but I'm physically unable at the moment," while the people claiming fake religious exemptions are saying, "I'm above the rules in place for everyone else. Treat me like the special person I am." The people who are legitimately part of a religious group with those beliefs will be able to prove it even if they aren't happy about it. We should protect the public health with the same - or better - care that we protect the public's money. OR just eliminate the exemption altogether. We've already learned that the honor system only benefits the dishonest - which is why they push so hard to put it in place.

ImperfectPixie

For as long as they'd like. It's not too hard to retain or obtain bank records of checks or credit card payments showing that you have a history of donating to a church that prohibits vaccinations for its members. If someone is asking the rest of the population to allow them to evade the rules in place for everyone else then they shouldn't be able to just claim it's true and expect to be believed. People collecting disability are technically getting an exemption from working and we expect them to provide medical proof in order for them to collect their payments. Same concept - and it should be more stringent because the injured person is saying, "I'd like to be a part of the workforce but I'm physically unable at the moment," while the people claiming fake religious exemptions are saying, "I'm above the rules in place for everyone else. Treat me like the special person I am." The people who are legitimately part of a religious group with those beliefs will be able to prove it even if they aren't happy about it. We should protect the public health with the same - or better - care that we protect the public's money. OR just eliminate the exemption altogether. We've already learned that the honor system only benefits the dishonest - which is why they push so hard to put it in place.
👏 👏 👏 👏

While we're at it, lets update the ADA laws so people can't lie about disabilities anymore, too.

Disney Experience

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned but all Broadway theaters will require vaccinations for staff, cast, and patrons. Of course, for patrons, there’s a “religious reasons” loophole. Suddenly, a lot of people are going to find God.
Broadway in Orlando starts back up in November, when does NYC start back up? Is it different for on vs off-Broadway productions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom