Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

The big issue with spread is that COVID is most infectious before symptoms appear. People with no symptoms are unlikely to get tested and unlikely to isolate.

Personally, I think we need to scare the pants of people who are resisting being vaccinated. If I didn't already have my shots, I'd be scrambling to get them with the new data out.
I agree with you about scaring people into vaccination. The problem is that the current messaging is being perceived as "the vaccines don't work." It counters the scare factor because people don't think getting vaccinated does anything.

The indoor mask guidance change and associated messaging was terrible if the goal was to scare people into getting vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People who are vaccinated who get covid may be as likely to spread as someone who has covid who is unvaccinated but they still have a lower likelihood of becoming infected in the first place.

Edited to add: Please get the vaccine if you haven't done so yet. For yourself, for your loved ones, for all of us.
I agree 100%. That’s exactly what I tried to say but was told that‘s not true.

Kevin_W

Can somebody explain Hawaii? High vaccination, strict mitigation measures (testing required for travelers, etc.) but substantial to high community transmission depending on the island.

There first shot vaccination is high, but total vaccination is only 53.4% (compared to 48.7% for Florida). Apparently a lot of people in Hawaii don't show up for the second shot, and with 2 being more necessary for Delta that probably has an effect.

Also, from what I read early in the pandemic there is a lot of communal/multi-generational living that can make spread happen more easily.

Flugell

For those who like to keep an eye on cases in the U.K.
Cases have decreased today as has the R number though it remains between 1 and 1.2 which is still a worry.
Contrary to other posters from the U.K. mask wearing remains nearly 100% ( according to my neighbour) as we are isolating. She went to work in a shop on Wednesday and was told mask wearing for staff was optional. As she was safely behind plexiglass she thought she would go mask free. Within half an hour she put it on because EVERY customer was wearing one, looking at her with alarm and she felt guilty! Our local % of vaccination is 83% of all adults over the age of 18 are fully vaccinated! My experience is that vaccination is still progressing apace. Our son gets his 2nd dose on August 4th so isn’t yet one of the 83%. (His age meant he was one of the last group to be eligible.)
It seems that London is the area letting us down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure they will. Because nobody is going to that level of course change, due to infection only. Wearing a mask and going back to virtual school are two entirely different things when it comes to will. Despite the temper tantrums, it's emotionally easy to tell people to just put on their shoes or pants versus having to tell people other types of bad news.

High vax areas will not look the same as low vax areas for hospitalizations and even the frequencies of "I'm so sick, I can't come to work."
We started last school year virtual with case numbers far lower than where FL is now on a per capita basis. If the vaccines no longer work against mild and moderate infection and only prevent hospitalization and death than it’s highly unlikely we won’t get to the same case level too. I don’t actually believe that’s true, but that’s the story.

Kevin_W

I should also point out that according to Hawaii's stats, 97% or recent cases have been int he unvaccinated (not sure if that counts "partially vaccinated"). Also, hospitalizations have not gone up nearly as much as with previous surges. same story as is playing out in most of the US it seems.

They do have strict requirements on visitors(we are hopefully 5 days away from flying there!), but they attribute a lot of cases to returning residents who visit the continent (particularly Las Vegas, for whatever reason).

hopemax

Can somebody explain Hawaii? High vaccination, strict mitigation measures (testing required for travelers, etc.) but substantial to high community transmission depending on the island.
Same as Cape Cod. Infected visitors bring unwanted hitchhikers on vacation (or apparently returning residents). Despite the entry requirements, it obviously isn't effective to stop 100%. Catches fire in the unvaccinated population, singes the vaccinated.

ImperfectPixie

Same as Cape Cod. Infected visitors bring unwanted hitchhikers on vacation. Despite the entry requirements, it obviously isn't effective to stop 100%. Catches fire in the unvaccinated population, singes the vaccinated.
Yup. MA had cases WAY down and new cases were at 905 yesterday. It was 600 something the two days before that.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what the % increase was for the week.

ETA: I watched a live-stream of our town fireworks on the 4th (we're not on Cape Cod, thankfully). Not a mask in sight...no distancing...you'd never have known by watching that there's a pandemic going on.

hopemax

We started last school year virtual with case numbers far lower than where FL is now on a per capita basis. If the vaccines no longer work against mild and moderate infection and only prevent hospitalization and death than it’s highly unlikely we won’t get to the same case level too. I don’t actually believe that’s true, but that’s the story.
You've identified what probably should happen. If your cases are higher, you should do what you did last year, as a minimum. But that's not how people work. I'm becoming convinced that if hurricanes lasted for more than a few hours people would stop trying to protect themselves from those too, despite the risks.

TrainsOfDisney

Right by the bar, not in the actual restaurant? I've never seen servers around there. In the old days that place is so packed you could never get a server to comfortably move through the bar crowds.
I remember servers bringing fish and chips to tables. Not sure if it was actually table service or you ordered at the bar and then had a seat on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom