Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

What does “casualty” mean to you? The definitions I’m seeing in American dictionaries are consistent with my British understanding of the term, except that we also use it to refer to ER (though A&E, short for Accident and Emergency, is more common).
When about people it is more often a death. Though it can be used more broadlyike a casualty of covid referring to some policy changes that occurred because of it. Casualty I've seen in insurance to be broad as well. So when I first read I hoped it was the broader sense since they stated cause of removal or how the patient was doing was not known.

Virtual Toad

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of these projections:

"Statewide, the Mayo Clinic forecast tool said Florida will be reporting a seven-day rolling average of 49,398 cases of COVID-19 per day by August 9, a 132% increase from the current numbers."

If this is anything close to accurate, this may be the worst wave of the entire pandemic for Florida. And while hospitalization and death rates would likely be much lower than in the past, they are already dealing with a hospitalization rate akin to some of the past waves. With only 48% of the state fully vaxed, there could still be significant hospitalization and death.

I'm crossing my fingers that this projection is overly pessimistic.
We live smack dab in the middle of the areas the report is taking about. And with only days to go before school... complete silence from school officials (or just about anyone for that matter) and no guidance or restrictions in sight.

Think about it folks... 83, 000 CASES PER DAY in a state where only months ago 10k per day was seen as absolutely catastrophic. I too hope the projection is way off. But we are in the middle of an inferno and the powers that be here have essentially ordered the fire department NOT to intervene.

KrzyKtty

FL Daily Cases

1627503045960.png

lisa12000

Indeed - it is bad out there. This graph shows it best. I am in Fraser Health, the former leader of all Covid Cases in BC during the peaks. Now we are relatively low, and Interior is just... going off.

View attachment 575290
This is exactly what we saw in the uk - starting in our north west in local areas such as blackburn and bolton then spreading outwards in time. Then heading to the Midlands and north east The north east got it badly mainly due to them not being hit as hard in previous waves.

The one constant thing was that on our covid dashboard and in papers we hade maps of number of cases and then a map with vaccination figures. The negative correlation between vaccinations and cases was stark - you could literally see ans predict where covid was going to explode next! This was true even in my town and my local ward (of 5000 people) - there are low vaccination figures here due to demographics and guess where cases exploded round here….

Vaccination may not stop spread but it really does blooming slow it down!

One positive is that it does seem to rip through, not leave as much destruction as previous waves and then burn itself out so much quicker

ps our symptom app tracker has given us the four main symptoms of vaccinated covid - headache, stuffy nose, sore throat and especially sneezing! Yea sneezing seems a unique symptom when - vaccinated! - loss of smell and a cough well down the pecking order for symptoms

lisa12000

dolbyman

Indeed - it is bad out there. This graph shows it best. I am in Fraser Health, the former leader of all Covid Cases in BC during the peaks. Now we are relatively low, and Interior is just... going off.

I can say skytrains between Surrey and Vancouver still have 80%+ mask usage .. I am positively surprised here.

At least during rush hour, haven't used public transit much after these .. cloud be a free for all.

And as soon as the mask mandate was lifted July 1st, I have seen transit police again. I guess they went to hiding when the whole thing started.

I am looking more pessimistic towards our late September WDW vacation now, so far we have only put our deposit in (and rebooked the flights)

Mark52479

It seems this is what the counties will do here in Florida. Any town property masks must be worn. Since the town owns those properties they are allowed to do that.

All other places of business its recommendation only.

Disney Experience

I was picking up a prescription at a CVS near my house earlier today and all of the COVID vaccination waiting chairs were full. I haven't seen that in a while.
The cvs nearby has a drive theough . Two lanes for drive through only the inner one can be used for covid testing ( But it can be used for regular Rx too).

There was a super long line of cars for that one( never seen it like that.) The other lane was empty. Seems a lot of testing is going on.

Virtual Toad

It seems this is what the counties will do here in Florida. Any town property masks must be worn. Since the town owns those properties they are allowed to do that.

All other places of business its recommendation only.
We’re especially concerned about schools which would fall under that distinction (at least public schools). But no announcements yet.

Mark52479

We’re especially concerned about schools which would fall under that distinction (at least public schools). But no announcements yet.
If I had to guess, most schools here will do masks optional.

I think they know they are going to get blowback from the Gov so they will do mask optional. As of now that is what they are doing here in South Florida.

Virtual Toad

If I had to guess, most schools here will do masks optional.

I think they know they are going to get blowback from the Gov so they will do mask optional. As of now that is what they are doing here in South Florida.
Same here in the Tampa Bay Area. So far at least.

Kman

I can say skytrains between Surrey and Vancouver still have 80%+ mask usage .. I am positively surprised here.

At least during rush hour, haven't used public transit much after these .. cloud be a free for all.

And as soon as the mask mandate was lifted July 1st, I have seen transit police again. I guess they went to hiding when the whole thing started.

I am looking more pessimistic towards our late September WDW vacation now, so far we have only put our deposit in (and rebooked the flights)

Agree with you. In Ontario, things are very stable and remaining that way and our vaccinations, like the rest of Canada, are quite high and still growing significantly each day although they have slowed down in the past few weeks. That makes sense to me. We have about 19% of the population age 12+ who haven't been vaccinated however there are still thousands of first doses being administered each day so they are now targeting unvaccinated folks. We are still wearing masks in all public areas which I am good with until vaccinations get up to 70-80% FULLY vaxxed. I'm hopeful we will reach this by fall.

As for our trip, per my post a little while ago, we are growing pessimistic about our trip in November. I'm still hoping but not sure. I refuse to buy park tickets at this point which means we can't book parks (at least the way I understand it). Not sure if that will hurt us if we do end up going but I suppose we will have a decision to make at that time. We were only planning a 4-day trip anyways with the rest at the beach. If we have to cancel so be it I guess. Sucks but it is what it is!

disneyrph

Current vaccination status for Orange County -

View attachment 575304

Here is Orange County’s 14-day rolling positivity rate: 15.58%
Honestly, the "at least one dose" numbers are misleading. So many patients don't come back for that second shot. It doesn't say how long ago that one dose was and most likely even lumps in people who got a single dose back in February. The only relevant number as far as it relates to the positivity rate would be % that are at least 2 weeks out from the 2nd dose, or 2 weeks after the one and done J&J. The list of patients I have that think one is enough is so much longer than it should be. Those people are not truly protected, and their one shot skews the interpretation of data like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom