Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

Not that I know of. Refusing to vaccinate so that you can come to work and do your job strikes me as firing for cause...which makes a person ineligible for unemployment.
I agree. But I am not sure now though...... I have a friend who is a manager of 12 hair salons and cannot hire anyone (or I should say the one's she had) because they say they are still afraid to come back or taking care of mom still. Being serious. Still on state unemployment and still receiving fed benefit. And cannot hire anyone even with bonuses.
Just saying, nothing surprises me with people anymore.

oceanbreeze77

Ohhh ok. But Why do they use the word casualty in this case? It sounds so final.

I thought the same thing. But reporting out of Liverpool from what I understand. Just a different meaning or way they use the word than we would typically do.
We are also so used to the word casualty having a different connotation in the states.

ImperfectPixie

I agree. But I am not sure now though...... I have a friend who is a manager of 12 hair salons and cannot hire anyone (or I should say the one's she had) because they say they are still afraid to come back or taking care of mom still. Being serious. Still on state unemployment and still receiving fed benefit. And cannot hire anyone even with bonuses.
That's a little bit of a different situation, I would think...they've been on unemployment already for a while, I'm guessing? This isn't a continue working from home and then lose your job thing.

BrianLo

Masks here in BC are now only a recommendation for those 12+ who are not fully vaccinated.

I can technically go to a store and no longer have to wear a mask… but I still do 😅

I'm on the island currently. Our cases are like 0.2/100k, compared to Florida pushing 500.

Yet just on my consistent visual surveillance about 80% of adults still mask a month out from lifting the requirement.

Restaurants are bustling, tourism is returning. Worst case it's an unnecessary extra layer that made people feel more comfortable, best case the ongoing peer pressure tamponades down a future wave. But it's really hard to say we are being harmed.

LittleBuford

Ohhh ok. But Why do they use the word casualty in this case? It sounds so final.
What does “casualty” mean to you? The definitions I’m seeing in American dictionaries are consistent with my British understanding of the term, except that we also use it to refer to ER (though A&E, short for Accident and Emergency, is more common).

Disney Analyst

15% of the population of BC, and 63% of new COVID cases.

Indeed - it is bad out there. This graph shows it best. I am in Fraser Health, the former leader of all Covid Cases in BC during the peaks. Now we are relatively low, and Interior is just... going off.

1627502624092.png

DisneyDebRob

People have just gone through the worst times of their lives. People will not come back to work I believe until the end of the summer. They are taking this time to realize their worth to a employer . If anything the last year and a half has done is make people think about how they were being treated and what they believe they are worth. To think that the extra unemployment is the main reason no one is coming back is wrong. Is some people enjoying the money before they have to find something? Sure. But I believe, the main reason is people aren’t going to be treated like crap for 8 bucks a hour anymore. Not after them seeing they were considered “ front line workers”. Want employees? Pay more. My buddy with the sandwich shop had the same problem. Couldn’t get any help. He up the hourly salary by 2 bucks, offered bonus if the stated 3 months.. then 6 months. Filled the spots in a week and a half.
People will get a job if they feel they are being treated right and with respect. After the last year, I think companies need to up their game.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
the American definition is pretty similar to the UK definition, but like I said, we are so used to seeing mass death after seeing a mass casualty event that I think the words get conflated.
Tell me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom