Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangojim

What I'm surprised by is that people who received the vaccine thought it would be carte blanche to not have to wear masks or follow any kind of guidelines at all. Anyone who has been paying attention to this thing should have known that conditions can and will change and that mitigation strategies would change over time and possibly revert. Those who don't think that are in denial.

Last edited:

durangojim

Unless there is some new data that I'm not aware of, there has been nothing to suggest that a kid under 12 is at any higher risk of severe illness from Delta than they were from the prior variants. The risk for prior variants to that population was extremely low and factually lower than the risk to them from the flu in a normal year. If that information changes then I'll change my stance. I've said from the beginning that if children were heavily affected by COVID many of my opinions would be different.

Now, I'd like somebody to educate me regarding masks and the Delta variant. If we assume that the lab experiments translate to the real world and the mask blocks 70% of the virus leaving the infected person and 70% of the virus entering the non-infected person, that means that 9% of the virus particles make it through the journey.

Now, it has been reported that the viral load for somebody infected with Delta is 1000 times what it was for prior variants. 1000 times 9% is 9000%. That means that for Delta, 90 times the amount of virus will make the journey, through masks that made it through the with prior variants through masks. If I'm doing the math correctly, that means that for Delta, there will be 8.1 times the amount of virus that makes the journey WITH masking than made the journey without masking of the other variants. Therefore, why would we expect masking to have any significant effect on Delta.

Obviously, the real world numbers will be higher due to variable materials, fit and how people are wearing the masks.
You should go to Disney and test your hypothesis by not wearing a mask and post your findings.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Unless there is some new data that I'm not aware of, there has been nothing to suggest that a kid under 12 is at any higher risk of severe illness from Delta than they were from the prior variants. The risk for prior variants to that population was extremely low and factually lower than the risk to them from the flu in a normal year. If that information changes then I'll change my stance. I've said from the beginning that if children were heavily affected by COVID many of my opinions would be different.

Now, I'd like somebody to educate me regarding masks and the Delta variant. If we assume that the lab experiments translate to the real world and the mask blocks 70% of the virus leaving the infected person and 70% of the virus entering the non-infected person, that means that 9% of the virus particles make it through the journey.

Now, it has been reported that the viral load for somebody infected with Delta is 1000 times what it was for prior variants. 1000 times 9% is 9000%. That means that for Delta, 90 times the amount of virus will make the journey, through masks that made it through the with prior variants through masks. If I'm doing the math correctly, that means that for Delta, there will be 8.1 times the amount of virus that makes the journey WITH masking than made the journey without masking of the other variants. Therefore, why would we expect masking to have any significant effect on Delta.

Obviously, the real world numbers will be higher due to variable materials, fit and how people are wearing the masks.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Can't even begin to put a reply together.

Tony the Tigger

You know my stance on this, I am pro vax, have been vaxed for a while now, BUT.... the CDC is just not handling this correctly right now.

"Some vaccinated people" "certain places" the message right now is really bad.

Should be all or nothing. Trying to thread the needle here and its not going to work IMO.

Do they say who the "some vaccinated people" are?
Why, because some people are idiots? This isn't hard to understand at all.

DisneyCane

You should go to Disney and test your hypothesis by not wearing a mask and post your findings.
That's how you explain the "science?" With a snarky answer. I have gone to Disney without wearing a mask. I won't go to Disney if they require them again. If they make the rule and I don't want to follow it then I just can't go. They have every right to make rules and I have the ability not to visit if I don't like the rules.

phillip9698

What I'm surprised by is that people who received the vaccine thought it would be carte blanche to not have to wear masks or follow any kind of guidelines at all. Anyone who has been paying attention to this thing should have know that conditions can and will change and that mitigation strategies would change over time and possibly revert. Those who don't think that are in denial.

The current conditions are not due to the people who took the vaccine. Living in GA i knew with certainty this was going to be a boondoggle because of the number of people around here who are 100% refusing the vaccine and were just waiting for mask mandates to end before they carried on business as usual.

Disney Analyst

Anyone who’s choosing to travel at this time should be prepared for local rules to change before and even during their trip. We’re still in the middle of a pandemic, after all. The rush to act as if everything will soon be back to normal because of the vaccines has been a really unfortunate development of the past few months: it obfuscates the continuing seriousness of the situation, and it only leads to further frustration and impatience.

That's the word. Thank you.

Patience.

People need to find their patience again. It's happening all over the world, but it really seems amplified in America. The lack of patience during a pandemic is shocking.

KrzyKtty

The current conditions are not due to the people who took the vaccine. Living in GA i knew with certainty this was going to be a boondoggle because of the number of people around here who are 100% refusing the vaccine and were just waiting for mask mandates to end before they carried on business as usual.
Same in SC...my mother is hosting an "End of Covid" party this Saturday.........🙄🙄🙄🙄

Tony the Tigger

That's how you explain the "science?" With a snarky answer. I have gone to Disney without wearing a mask. I won't go to Disney if they require them again. If they make the rule and I don't want to follow it then I just can't go. They have every right to make rules and I have the ability not to visit if I don't like the rules.
Correction: you "won't" go, not "can't."

And for every one of you, there's one of me: if I feel they aren't being responsible enough, then I won't go. If they bring masking back, you stay home and I go to take your place. Disney will be fine either way.

LittleBuford

We are about a year and a half into this and just under 400 children have died of COVID-19. In 2019, about 200 kids died of the flu. Kids are not at a significantly higher risk of COVID than other common illnesses. Forcing scare tactics on them ignores other aspects of health ie mental health.
As has been pointed out time and again, death is not the only bad outcome of COVID.

drizgirl

I think someone may have been vaccinated for the wrong reason.
If your daughter is entered to private school, are you going to make them sign a contract stating there will be no mask requirement, or will you pull them out when a mask mandate happens?

How about just wear the mask? This is a new situation with the Delta variant, as unfortunate as it is.
I wonder how many will now claim the vaccines were useless, even though the probability is pretty darn high that the reason we are in this situation now is due to lack of vaccination in a timely manner combined with lax mask wearing.
There is no wrong reason to be vaccinated.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The data on young kids (below 12) has never lined up with what people continue to suggest for mitigation due to this group being unvaccinated. It continues to point to this age group being very low risk for the virus AND very low risk of contributing to spread. There is zero evidence delta is any different for them. Using this group as an excuse to put back in place mitigation efforts irks me. Do what you think is best for your own children but don't use all children as a reason, as a prop, for further mitigation when the data doesn't back that up.

To provide one recent example, I think it was yesterday that OC stated all their cases were from unvaccinated and all were from age groups where the vaccine was available.

The better argument for mitigation is to point to the high spread and low vaccination rates (and then focus how 99% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated to get more people to take the shot). But neither is putting this age group, again under 12, at a significant risk.

oceanbreeze77

When it comes to kids people are forgetting during this whole pandemic there has not been a HUGE volume of children gathering together in one area.
This fall, that changes. Most schools are back in session in person and with attitudes changing towards the pandemic, parents are more likely to send their kids to in person school. We have not seen anything like this during the pandemic yet. It will be a true test.

mf1972

I think if Disney goes to masking indoors, we are talking many many months before that goes away. I don’t see Florida getting out of red or any shade close to it the way things are going in the red state . This is all IF Disney follows the cdc recommendations.
unless desantis makes a dramatic turnaround, i don’t see any changes coming anytime soon. i hope he does though.

KrzyKtty

When it comes to kids people are forgetting during this whole pandemic there has not been a HUGE volume of children gathering together in one area.
This fall, that changes. Most schools are back in session in person and with attitudes changing towards the pandemic, parents are more likely to send their kids to in person school. We have not seen anything like this during the pandemic yet. It will be a true test.
Not true, most of SC was in person for half the year, my district was all year.

oceanbreeze77

That isn't true.

Not true, most of SC was in person for half the year, my district was all year.
At the time you guys are talking about travel was still down, strict guidelines were still in place, and you didn't have this open mingling of people. We are in a new ball park here. Kids will be returning from summer vacations all over, parents are now more likely to go out and enjoy bars and other events, we have not been in this situation yet.

ImperfectPixie

At the time you guys are talking about travel was still down, strict guidelines were still in place, and you didn't have this open mingling of people. We are in a new ball park here. Kids will be returning from summer vacations all over, parents are now more likely to go out and enjoy bars and other events, we have not been in this situation yet.
Not to mention masks were required for in-person school (at least they were here).

Also...we saw proof that kids can easily be infected and infect each other here in town. The vast majority of spread among students last year was due to parties/hang-outs outside of school. Our skate park had to be shut down 3x because the kids weren't wearing masks (they even destroyed a sign put up that stated mask rules), and were sitting shoulder to shoulder on the ramps...each time a kid and a few of their friends would get infected, it was closed down again.

lazyboy97o

A hockey goalie wears pads even though sometimes they are hit hard enough in just the right way that they can really feel it or get injured. You wouldn’t tell a goalie to stop wearing pads because he is suddenly playing a team that hits the puck harder and gets more shots on goal.

Wendy Pleakley

That's the word. Thank you.

Patience.

People need to find their patience again. It's happening all over the world, but it really seems amplified in America. The lack of patience during a pandemic is shocking.

Yes!

Once I was fully vaccinated I changed some of my behaviours. I was more comfortable travelling a bit, using transit, shopping, etc.

What I didn't do was whine or complain about the mask mandates that were still in place. I didn't start breaking any rules based on my own comfort level. I don't think public policy should be to throw the unvaccinated "under the bus", even though I share the frustration that the people who are choosing not to get vaccinated are delaying the return to normal for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom