Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

You can complain all you want, doesn’t mean they have to budge. Just ask the thousands upon thousands of their best customers,DVC, how they made out with their complaining and requests during the last year and a half.
To be fair I'm not sure we inherently are their best customers. They make more from other higher spenders as whole.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah when you look at the numbers check out those deaths that never spiked.

That’s why all your hear about now is the cases.
Hospitalizations matter too. That’s why we need more focused mitigation. It sounds like from reports here hospitals in FL are filling up. My county has 18 total hospitalized Covid cases right now. It’s clearly not a National problem.

Wendy Pleakley

Disney should be flexible on people asking for booking refunds at this time. I wouldn't blame anyone for avoiding Florida right now.

A requirement to wear a mask indoors isn't a great reason to cancel in my opinion, but it's not up to Disney to ask why someone wants to cancel.

Pro-rated annual pass refunds is a different matter because Disney could argue a guest has already gotten their "money's worth" if they used it a certain number of times. Imagine a scenario where someone goes to WDW 20 times in 2 months and then wants a 10-month pro-rated refund. Wouldn't make sense. If it were up to me I'd refund the pass but deduct the full value of a one-day ticket for each time it had been used.

lisa12000

How do we explain the delta variant spreading in the UK? It wasn’t after dropping mitigations. It ramped up before they dropped most mitigations.
It was seeded widely due to people returning from India who had gone to red list status - this was mainly in higher density, poorer neighbourhoods and it literally ripped through those areas and then spread - especially through schools and then secondary on to parents etc - so it was the seeding that led to the spread initially

KrzyKtty

Anyone who’s choosing to travel at this time should be prepared for local rules to change before and even during their trip. We’re still in the middle of a pandemic, after all. The rush to act as if everything will soon be back to normal because of the vaccines has been a really unfortunate development of the past few months: it obfuscates the continuing seriousness of the situation, and it only leads to further frustration and impatience.
Exactly. We are all bringing our masks and are preparing to use them. If Universal follows new guidance, better for us.

Trauma

Disney should announce the return of masks and paid fast passes at the same time!

Ride space mountain now and get a free Mickey Mask!

To all our vaccinated guests today don’t forget -

The jokes on you!

DisneyDebRob

To be fair I'm not sure we inherently are their best customers. They make more from other higher spenders as whole.
I think you knew what I meant.🙂 We are heavily invested in the beginning for 5-10 years.. then they know it’s guaranteed some form of cash flow from us or family for the next 40 years.

SamusAranX

Disney should be flexible on people asking for booking refunds at this time. I wouldn't blame anyone for avoiding Florida right now.

A requirement to wear a mask indoors isn't a great reason to cancel in my opinion, but it's not up to Disney to ask why someone wants to cancel.

Pro-rated annual pass refunds is a different matter because Disney could argue a guest has already gotten their "money's worth" if they used it a certain number of times. Imagine a scenario where someone goes to WDW 20 times in 2 months and then wants a 10-month pro-rated refund. Wouldn't make sense. If it were up to me I'd refund the pass but deduct the full value of a one-day ticket for each time it had been used.
If you did that it would only require 4/5 visits if it’s a silver pass. That’s low for an AP, at least someone local.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was seeded widely due to people returning from India who had gone to red list status - this was mainly in higher density, poorer neighbourhoods and it literally ripped through those areas and then spread - especially through schools and then secondary on to parents etc - so it was the seeding that led to the spread initially
Yeah, I think it’s unfair to tie the spread of this variant to dropping mitigations. There are other factors that are at play.

For some reason our cases have suddenly dropped 30% week on week - reported cases today 23,500 last week over 40,000 - same happened with India
Hopefully we aren’t far behind. If we peak in a few weeks we have a shot of being done with this wave by around the start of Fall.

EPICOT

Your realize you are talking about millions of kids under 12 who are unable to get any kind of COVID vaccine
We are about a year and a half into this and just under 400 children have died of COVID-19. In 2019, about 200 kids died of the flu. Kids are not at a significantly higher risk of COVID than other common illnesses. Forcing scare tactics on them ignores other aspects of health ie mental health.

hopemax

How do we explain the delta variant spreading in the UK? It wasn’t after dropping mitigations. It ramped up before they dropped most mitigations.
That doesn't rule out the possibility that it would have spread even farther and faster without them. Using that number you mentioned about peak... It doesn't rule out peaking at 90/100K instead of 69 without mitigation.

Even small percentage decreases in transmission are compounded over several infection cycles into meaningful numbers of overall difference.

durangojim

If WDW reinstates indoor masking and it isn't removed before the next time I was going to visit (likely in late October/early November) I will be asking for a pro-rated refund for the remainder of my AP. I will also not patronize any business that requires fully vaccinated people to wear a mask. Not having to wear an annoying and uncomfortable mask was a primary driver of me getting vaccinated. I don't care if I can get a high viral load with a mild or asymptomatic case of Delta and make an unvaccinated person very sick.

Get vaccinated if you don't want to get very sick and stop making me do things to protect you. Standard caveat of I feel bad for immunocompromised people or those who can't get vaccinated. Unfortunately, you'll need to take extra precautions like wearing an N95 respirator if you want to be at a lower risk.
Good luck with that

correcaminos

I think you knew what I meant.🙂 We are heavily invested in the beginning for 5-10 years.. then they know it’s guaranteed some form of cash flow from us or family for the next 40 years.
I do know what you mean, but the reality is that DVC are not their big spenders really. They are constant source of income, but like AP holders, that's not who Disney wants to hook into for money. Most DVC members are only there for 15 years on average too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That doesn't rule out the possibility that it would have spread even farther and faster without them. Using that number you mentioned about peak... It doesn't rule out peaking at 90/100K instead of 69 without mitigation.

Even small percentage decreases in transmission are compounded over several infection cycles into meaningful numbers of overall difference.
I don’t disagree and if the US wave never reaches the UK levels it won’t be because we had less restrictions. I was disagreeing with the statement that this delta wave of Covid in the US was caused by relaxing mitigations. This wave was coming either way. The only way to avoid it would have been a lot more vaccinations or total lock downs (which we never had and never will).

DisneyCane

Your realize you are talking about millions of kids under 12 who are unable to get any kind of COVID vaccine
Unless there is some new data that I'm not aware of, there has been nothing to suggest that a kid under 12 is at any higher risk of severe illness from Delta than they were from the prior variants. The risk for prior variants to that population was extremely low and factually lower than the risk to them from the flu in a normal year. If that information changes then I'll change my stance. I've said from the beginning that if children were heavily affected by COVID many of my opinions would be different.

Now, I'd like somebody to educate me regarding masks and the Delta variant. If we assume that the lab experiments translate to the real world and the mask blocks 70% of the virus leaving the infected person and 70% of the virus entering the non-infected person, that means that 9% of the virus particles make it through the journey.

Now, it has been reported that the viral load for somebody infected with Delta is 1000 times what it was for prior variants. 1000 times 9% is 9000%. That means that for Delta, 90 times the amount of virus will make the journey, through masks that made it through the with prior variants through masks. If I'm doing the math correctly, that means that for Delta, there will be 8.1 times the amount of virus that makes the journey WITH masking than made the journey without masking of the other variants. Therefore, why would we expect masking to have any significant effect on Delta.

Obviously, the real world numbers will be higher due to variable materials, fit and how people are wearing the masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom