Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

What happened to the Monte Cristo? How would you screw up a deep-fried ham and turkey sandwich?
I read the thread and saw this had not been answered. Unless something has changed even more recently than I know, it’s not the sandwich they screwed up but the portion size and pricing.

Everyone basically went to Cafe Orleans ordered a $21 sandwich, which came with 2 pieces, and a $5 basket of frites. And split it between 2 people.

When Disneyland reopened, the menu now says you get 1 piece of sandwich with a side of frites. No longer sharable. No longer can order a basket of frites. So your meal for two went from $26ish to $42. And less frites than you had before. If you were the rare person who could eat the pre-pandemic 2 piece sandwich, you saw your sandwich portion get cut in half and replaced with a small portion of potatoes but the price stayed the same.

Blue Bayou still has the full size portion. But they never had the frites.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They were already threading the needle here. There was already two guidance directions for Vaccinated and Unvaccinated. That in most places everyone is only following the Vaccinated guidance doesn't matter.

The alternative would be to only have and for everyone to follow the most restrictive guidance for the worst possible group. There's a gazillion posts (actual number, I counted) from people saying they shouldn't need to follow the Unvaccinated guidance once Vaccinated. This is likely the same thing. There will be a gazillion posts from people saying my area is fine, why should I have to follow the guidance for an area that's a disaster. The guidance matches the conditions, not what people are willing to do.

If I was guessing, since they didn't actually announce it yet, all the red areas wearing masks inside for everyone and in blue not needed for vaccinated. The orange and yellow nuance in the guidance will be more interesting. Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue from this chart:

View attachment 575023
Red, maybe orange but yellow makes no sense. My county is yellow on that map and right now we have 18 people in hospitals with Covid zero on ventilators. In Jan we were close to 800 people hospitalized for comparison. However, that being said once this is announced most people around me will likely go back to masks either way. It’s over 50/50 in stores and in public already.

Disney Analyst

Agreed, we should wait but I can't begin to tell you now irked I am. WDW will do what is best for them. Which direction that is right now is anyone's guess. Optics are important to them. They want to look like they're protecting guests that equals masks indoor and in lines. they also know that'll mean cancellations which equals lost dollars.

Which avenue will they take is the question.

I mean, at most you’ll have to mask indoors, which isn’t so bad.

At least you can feel okay outside in the heat?

Sometimes you just gotta look at the positive You’ll be at Disney!

ImperfectPixie

Red, maybe orange but yellow makes no sense. My county is yellow on that map and right now we have 18 people in hospitals with Covid zero on ventilators. In Jan we were close to 800 people hospitalized for comparison. However, that being said once this is announced most people around me will likely go back to masks either way. It’s over 50/50 in stores and in public already.
We're yellow, too, but I remember how quickly cases skyrocketed last year. This is the second week that MA cases have more than doubled...I don't think we're going to stay yellow for long.

Heppenheimer

What I have wondered more than anything and have not been able to find the research is whether the protein spikes on the variants are the same as the protein spikes on the original (or at least the one for which the vaccines were made). The mRNA vaccines create antibodies against surface protein spikes. Unless the protein spikes themselves have changed, vaccines should be equally effective against the variants.
The immune system may generate different antibodies against multiple regions of the spike protein. In the mutations, only small regions of the protein undergo slight configuration changes, so it might be that some of the antibodies no longer bind tightly while others still do.

AmishGuy91

I read the thread and saw this had not been answered. Unless something has changed even more recently than I know, it’s not the sandwich they screwed up but the portion size and pricing.

Everyone basically went to Cafe Orleans ordered a $21 sandwich, which came with 2 pieces, and a $5 basket of frites. And split it between 2 people.

When Disneyland reopened, the menu now says you get 1 piece of sandwich with a side of frites. No longer sharable. No longer can order a basket of frites. So your meal for two went from $26ish to $42. And less frites than you had before. If you were the rare person who could eat the pre-pandemic 2 piece sandwich, you saw your sandwich portion get cut in half and replaced with a small portion of potatoes but the price stayed the same.

I don't know if it's changed but in late June we got the two piece sandwich and fries for $21 at Cafe Orleans. At Blue Bayou, the monte cristo was inferior, did not come with fries, and was $28.

Heppenheimer

I could barely eat half of that sandwich at the Blue Bayou.

hopemax

I don't know if it's changed but in late June we got the two piece sandwich and fries for $21 at Cafe Orleans. At Blue Bayou, the monte cristo was inferior, did not come with fries, and was $28.
They cut up the half portion in two. So it technically comes as 2 pieces. But the old portion would have had 4 of those sized pieces.

Heelz2315

UGH....for those who were there during the masks how do they police this? Is it pretty lax or very strict with it? If you're in say the Carousel of Progress after the show starts can you remove it? Are they watching that close?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This could change day by day week by week.

If you drop below orange do you drop mitigation’s again?
Yes. We dropped masks for vaccinated one random day on a Thursday in May so how is that any different? It’s a dial that can and should be ramped up or down depending on the situation. This is just CDC guidance, not a mandate. Businesses will have to decide. My gut says if they bring masks back indoors they won’t relax that again until they are certain the trend is down so it won’t be the day you go from orange to yellow but maybe a few weeks later to ensure it’s continuing downward.

Virtual Toad

If the CDC guidance only calls for indoor masking in certain areas based on constantly changing data, this move is weak, confusing and half-hearted at best.

And if it’s framed as “vaccinated folks need to return to wearing masks” it’s even worse. Because the ONLY way the un-vaxed will even consider masking up is if a strong universal indoor mask mandate is announced for everyone everywhere.

I’m absolutely furious that some are holding the rest of us back. But a half hearted announcement is just not going to cut it. I can tell you from what’s happening here in Fla. that very few are even interested in looking at the data, let alone analyzing it or checking it to see if mask guidance will apply to them. Dumping weekly case data late Friday afternoon is also not helping. Young people and the population at large here are already turning their attention to their weekend plans. Few here care or are even paying attention at this point.

It’s anyone’s guess what the reaction from Central Florida theme parks will be. But unless and until we have some strong, uniform and universal guidance from the CDC and other leaders I fear the situation on the ground will not change.

What continues to be lost in all this is that we are all in this together. And until that message is forcefully applied we’re doomed to patchwork guidance and policies, and sadly ongoing outbreaks as well.

Trauma

I just checked and my area is also yellow even though we have 2 deaths a day down from 350.

If yellow areas also have to mask up then you all can call me whatever names you want, but the CDC has lost their minds.

We did EVERYTHING we where told to do.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes. We dropped masks for vaccinated one random day on a Thursday in May so how is that any different? It’s a dial that can and should be ramped up or down depending on the situation. This is just CDC guidance, not a mandate. Businesses will have to decide. My gut says if they bring masks back indoors they won’t relax that again until they are certain the trend is down so it won’t be the day you go from orange to yellow but maybe a few weeks later to ensure it’s continuing downward.
We will see what happens. I believe WDW will end up brining masks back indoors as well. That is their choice.

On a whole though, I still can't see these updated CDC guidelines around masks making a bit of difference to change the path we are on, unless a ton of businesses require masks IN CONJUCTION with other significant mitigation efforts such as capacity limits, etc. And remember where spread was mostly occurring in the winter? In private homes and settings. Have we determined if it is any different this time?

Last edited:

Chomama

I just checked and my area is also yellow even though we have 2 deaths a day down from 350.

If yellow areas also have to mask up then you all can call me whatever names you want, but the CDC has lost their minds.

We did EVERYTHING we where told to do.

agree. I’m exhausted. We have done everything we can and we are being punished by the people that aren’t vaccinated. It’s their turn, in my mind. Let us live our lives and the unvaccinated adults can miss out. Require vaccine proof for large venues, hospitals, schools, planes, etc. They can deal with it

DCBaker

Premium Member
We don’t know that do we? Vacinated can still catch and spread it I thought.

This was in the WaPo article on the possible CDC guidance update -

"Top health officials, who were debating the new masking guidance on Monday afternoon, said the game-changer was new data showing that vaccinated individuals infected with the delta variant carry the same viral load as unvaccinated individuals who are infected, according to three people familiar with the data. Vaccinated people are unlikely to become severely ill, but the new data raises questions about how easily they can transmit the disease, said the three individuals. Such transmission was not believed to happen in any significant way with earlier variants."

Kevin_W

Thanks for the explanation. When we visited DL 6-7 years ago that is exactly what we did (and splitting the fires + half a sandwich was still too much food!). $21 for the sandwich was already pretty crazy. I can see why people would be unhappy with $21 for half a sandwich and some fries.

Mark52479

Well the concern definitely is the back and forth. People can only take so much of that.

So they should just stick with it for a while and not do the back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom