Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

It is certainly not…and neither do I.

not unreasonable.

but you poked the bear a little by suggesting anyone concerned about the delta, Florida ineptitude, or just general shell shock from 19 months of chaos is trying to “create a mask issue” is a bit out of line.

sorry about the grief
Your right.

They have a good point.

I also think fully vaccinated people who are looking at the data and saying “Hey this doesn’t affect me” have a good point also.

I have the utmost respect for everyone here who disagrees with me including you. ( except one person we won’t get into that. )

Again I am not a monster and will follow all mandates fully.

We just see things differently and that’s ok 👍

Virtual Toad

The only thing certain about the situation in Florida right now is the level of uncertainty. Seeing what’s going on and the (non) reaction of the majority of those around us, we’ve decided to cancel our weeklong Universal visit that was scheduled for Aug 1-8 and revert to a staycation instead. Like previous posters have mentioned it comes down to comfort level and we’re just not comfortable with indoor queues and scores of unvaccinated visitors. Stress on vacation is not much of a vacation so we’ll just have to save it for another time.😟

Trauma

The only thing certain about the situation in Florida right now is the level of uncertainty. Seeing what’s going on and the (non) reaction of the majority of those around us, we’ve decided to cancel our weeklong Universal visit that was scheduled for Aug 1-8 and revert to a staycation instead. Like previous posters have mentioned it comes down to comfort level and we’re just not comfortable with indoor queues and scores of unvaccinated visitors. Stress on vacation is not much of a vacation so we’ll just have to save it for another time.😟
I would love to know if you wouldn’t mind answering.

If masks indoors returned without social distancing.

Meaning your still crammed in like sardines but everyone has a mask on.

Would you have felt comfortable enough to go?

Virtual Toad

I would love to know if you wouldn’t mind answering.

If masks indoors returned without social distancing.

Meaning your still crammed in like sardines but everyone has a mask on.

Would you have felt comfortable enough to go?
Honestly, masks required indoors (with consistent enforcement and SOME attempt at social distancing) could potentially have been a game changer for us. As a fully vaccinated family knowing the unvaccinated (and everyone else) were at least masking up would have eased some of our concerns. We discussed as a family the possibility that the rules could change before Aug 1, but at this point we’d be right in the middle of a policy shift that I’m sure will result in rising tempers and confrontations. Not something I want my kids to be in the middle of, and given our overall comfort level we’ve decided to pass.

Not to ramble on too much longer, but my son was supposed to play piano this morning for the folks at his grandmother’s nursing home here in the Tampa Bay Area. They had to cancel because unvaccinated workers there have brought about another outbreak at the facility. I asked him about vacation and he said “If grandma has to deal with COVID in her nursing home it wouldn’t seem right to go to a theme park.” For what it’s worth.

Trauma

Honestly, masks required indoors (with consistent enforcement and SOME attempt at social distancing) could potentially have been a game changer for us. As a fully vaccinated family knowing the unvaccinated (and everyone else) were at least masking up would have eased some of our concerns. We discussed as a family the possibility that the rules could change before Aug 1, but at this point we’d be right in the middle of a policy shift that I’m sure will result in rising tempers and confrontations. Not something I want my kids to be in the middle of, and given our overall comfort level we’ve decided to pass.

Not to ramble on too much longer, but my son was supposed to play piano this morning for the folks at his grandmother’s nursing home here in the Tampa Bay Area. They had to cancel because unvaccinated workers there have brought about another outbreak at the facility. I asked him about vacation and he said “If grandma has to deal with COVID in her nursing home it wouldn’t seem right to go to a theme park.” For what’s its worth.
Ok so in summary you probably would have canceled unless there was some form of social distancing component?

mmascari

I've been wondering. Of all the people on this thread that have gone since say May 1 2021 or planning through September 2021, is everyone either a DVC or annual pass holder?

Cash buyers of an individual trip vs sunk cost (and possible lost cost if they expire) create different perspectives.

If there are any cash buyers, any with kids under 12? Another condition that creates a different perspective.

An annual pass holder that owns DVC, is all adults and all vaccinated has a very different profile than a single trip cash buyer with kids under 12.

Trauma

Not to ramble on too much longer, but my son was supposed to play piano this morning for the folks at his grandmother’s nursing home here in the Tampa Bay Area. They had to cancel because unvaccinated workers there have brought about another outbreak at the facility. I asked him about vacation and he said “If grandma has to deal with COVID in her nursing home it wouldn’t seem right to go to a theme park.” For what it’s worth.
For what it’s worth my family is fully vaccinated.

We go to the gym every day.

Out to eat 5 times a week

We train Jiu Jitsu 3 times a week ( this is 30 sweaty humans rolling on the ground with each other )

Movies

Well you get the point.

We live life as we used to.

By the way I used to take every mitigation very seriously and did everything I could to protect my family.

I just don’t see the danger.

I respect your decision to stay home but your kids are only young for so many years.

I wish you continued health and peace of mind.

Virtual Toad

Ok so in summary you probably would have canceled unless there was some form of social distancing component?
We’re not sure. If masks had been in place for awhile, even without distancing, if the case count was lower and people around us (remember we live in Fla) had been showing even a superficial level of concern... maybe? Maybe not. That’s why I keep coming back to uncertainty. Knowing my family, knowing my kids and seeing how they’ve worked through this thing so far, unless everyone today chimed in with an enthusiastic “yes” vote my wife and I knew we’d have to cancel. Making ourselves uncomfortable just to go on vacation isn’t something we’re prepared to do.

At the end of the day, we made our plans when cases were trending down and things looked a whole lot rosier. Now cases are back to January levels. School starts in two weeks here and even the risk of contracting a mild case of COVID just isn’t worth the payoff for us at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been wondering. Of all the people on this thread that have gone since say May 1 2021 or planning through September 2021, is everyone either a DVC or annual pass holder?

Cash buyers of an individual trip vs sunk cost (and possible lost cost if they expire) create different perspectives.

If there are any cash buyers, any with kids under 12? Another condition that creates a different perspective.

An annual pass holder that owns DVC, is all adults and all vaccinated has a very different profile than a single trip cash buyer with kids under 12.
Supposedly the reason why things have been awful in Orlando for the last month is backlog from canceled trips last year….

so the pressure of sinking in cash does create a level of frustration not encounter with dvc

DVC however are more spoiled and apt to “take it or leave it”. As much as they say they have to go…they don’t. We all have been too much and are kidding ourselves. We go to break up the calendar/boredom. Not because we need new mouse ears.

Reactions: fbb

Virtual Toad

For what it’s worth my family is fully vaccinated.

We go to the gym every day.

Out to eat 5 times a week

We train Jiu Jitsu 3 times a week ( this is 30 sweaty humans rolling on the ground with each other )

Movies

Well you get the point.

We live life as we used to.

By the way I used to take every mitigation very seriously and did everything I could to protect my family.

I just don’t see the danger.

I respect your decision to stay home but your kids are only young for so many years.

I wish you continued health and peace of mind.
We know we’ve been very fortunate to have had a ton of vacations (including a slew of Disney visits) under our belts since the time the kids were little. And knowing that we can return when things die down (living as close as we do) does take some of the sting out of it.

Trauma

We’re not sure. If masks had been in place for awhile, even without distancing, if the case count was lower and people around us (remember we live in Fla) had been showing even a superficial level of concern... maybe? Maybe not. That’s why I keep coming back to uncertainty. Knowing my family, knowing my kids and seeing how they’ve worked through this thing so far, unless everyone today chimed in with an enthusiastic “yes” vote my wife and I knew we’d have to cancel. Making ourselves uncomfortable just to go on vacation isn’t something we’re prepared to do.

At the end of the day, we made our plans when cases were trending down and things looked a whole lot rosier. Now cases are back to January levels. School starts in two weeks here and even the risk of contracting a mild case of COVID just isn’t worth the payoff for us at this point.
It’s so easy for me to understand your decision and that making yourself uncomfortable on vacation is something you don’t want to do.

I’m in the same boat.

Wearing a mask will make me uncomfortable and why feel that way on vacation?

Someone brought up armbands for the vaccinated and I know it won’t happen since they would probably get sued. Still wish it was a possibility.

What a mess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I’m a DVC owner but the point rental market is red hot right now. I cancelled my trip last Summer and rented the points easily so I don’t think it’s really a sunk cost that factors into a decision. It would be easy today to rent the points for twice the annual maintenance fees. For my trip in August I’d probably lose my airfare credits unless I rescheduled within a year but that’s all I would lose.

I think the bigger factor is the let down on missing out. If you visit multiple times a year it’s probably not as hard a call to cancel one trip but for me I visit about every other year (haven’t actually been to WDW now since 2017 since I did DLR in 2019). My kids are getting older so we have a limited number of trips left when they are still “kids”. We are also traveling with another family so it’s a miracle we could set this whole trip up twice now with 8 people’s schedules and flights and rooms and stuff. So if I cancel again there‘s no guarantee I can reschedule the same trip next year and if I do reschedule for next year can anyone tell me with any level of certainty that there won’t be an outbreak of the Zeta variant next August? Do we know for sure it won’t be worse next year? For me I still haven’t seen any evidence that fully vaccinated people are at even moderate risk right now. My 11 year old is the only one going who isn’t vaccinated yet but he will be wearing a mask indoors the whole trip. Right now I’m not feeling too nervous about the risks to him.

KrzyKtty

We are a cash buyer; however, we paid cash when the numbers were MUCH lower. We are going for a long weekend at Universal; so not DVC.

We have one DD under 12; however, DS, DH, and I are all vaccinated. We are all going to wear our mask so DD doesn't feel alone. Also, we are going to create our best "wall" that we can in lines where people aren't spacing well. Basically DH at one end and me at the other, and kids in the middle lol.

We know that there are those on this thread that don't agree with this. And we tossed and turned with it as well. But this trip was a special reward for my DS last year. Also, DD is looking forward to it soooo much. We know it is a risk, but it is one we are willing to take, and it is easy for us to quarantine when we get back (both DH and I work from home).

Last edited:

HeartOfTeFiti

At the end of the day, we made our plans when cases were trending down and things looked a whole lot rosier. Now cases are back to January levels. School starts in two weeks here and even the risk of contracting a mild case of COVID just isn’t worth the payoff for us at t. his point.
Same for us, things were trending down, vaccinations were rolling out with more takers than appointment availability, and there was a push to include the children sooner rather than later. That's all changed. Not only did we cancel our vacation but we've also enrolled in virtual school for the fall semester. We've gotten this far without getting sick (not even a cold since our Disney trip in February 2020) and we're going to do everything we can to keep it that way. Some people think we're being extreme but we're risk adverse and the little ones have been thriving just fine with all of the family time at home. I know that not everyone has the luxury of working from home, but we do, so we'll stay home and not add to the problem.

hopemax

You forgot a category... related to a CM. :D

Although we did have to purchase 4-days in May because of the blockouts. But no hotel costs (except when we stayed at Universal). And your underlying point still stands.

Virtual Toad

It’s so easy for me to understand your decision and that making yourself uncomfortable on vacation is something you don’t want to do.

I’m in the same boat.

Wearing a mask will make me uncomfortable and why feel that way on vacation?

Someone brought up armbands for the vaccinated and I know it won’t happen since they would probably get sued. Still wish it was a possibility.

What a mess.
Agree with you on that. A mess indeed. Here’s to happier times to come.

Trauma

Same for us, things were trending down, vaccinations were rolling out with more takers than appointment availability, and there was a push to include the children sooner rather than later. That's all changed. Not only did we cancel our vacation but we've also enrolled in virtual school for the fall semester. We've gotten this far without getting sick (not even a cold since our Disney trip in February 2020) and we're going to do everything we can to keep it that way. Some people think we're being extreme but we're risk adverse and the little ones have been thriving just fine with all of the family time at home. I know that not everyone has the luxury of working from home, but we do, so we'll stay home and not add to the problem.
Can you enroll your kids back in school later in the year?

This spike may not last long and they will be eligible for vaccination soon. ( Hopefully )

Unless you mean virtual school for yourself.

Sorry I’m a bit confused.

Virtual Toad

Your situation is nearly identical to ours. We were blessed to both work from home and the kids did virtual last year. There have been a few moments of cabin fever but in the process we got to take a break from the rat race and actually spend time together. Something my dad always wanted to do when we were kids. So a blessing in disguise.

Unfortunately our kids will both return to school in person soon, probably with no mask mandate, because there’s been absolutely no evidence here of planning for mitigation or giving folks a virtual option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom