Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sans Souci

the chaos it has caused here is due mainly to our contact tracing app that pings close contacts of cases through Bluetooth (so if you are close to a future case even on the street for so long it will ping you) - the problem is that it has pinged so many people during this wave that our critical infrastructure is starting to fail ie cancelled trains, food shortages, shops and buisnesses closed. It’s been a nightmare and so I hope it comes and goes without such chaos in the US

My MIL was pinged and when she was done self-isolating, she had to get her car fixed and get some groceries. From doing that, she was pinged again. It's ridiculous. She was "free" for one day and had to self-isolate again.

Disney Experience

durangojim

Good news. Its burning through FL right now. I spent last week at WDW. Totally subjective on my part but heard lots more coughs and sneezes at the end of my trip than the beginning. My entire family came down with sore throat/congestion over the past 2 days, as we were leaving. Pretty mild. May or may not be Covid. I’m not going to bother with test because we are all vaccinated, 2 of us had subsequent positive tests, and all off work/school the next week anyway. Will camp out at home.

As a side, we spent 4 hours last Monday night at a Disney recommended Advent Health urgent care center right by DS. My daughter had a wrist injury and we wanted an X-ray. During that 4 hours, there were many people coming in for Covid tests. Most of them had reservations but still had to wait 3-4 hours (middle of the night at this point). Bottom line - it’s not as easy to get a covid test around there anymore.

I think there are likely TONS of undiagnosed cases. Delta will run wild in the short term, but we too will hopefully be on the downslope in a month or so.
Don't forget, all the sinusitis, URIs, etc. that we used to see each fall when kids went back to school are now happening due to easing of restrictions. It's not surprising people are getting sick more now, just not necessarily with covid. When my wife and I were down there this weekend we wore our masks in busy lines inside, and in heavy crowds outside. I actually saw more people wearing masks this past weekend then I did for our 3 week long trip back in June - mid July.

Trauma

And you’re biased on this from your protestation of masks and your plans…

though I’m still trying to figure $14,000 in a paid for room?
How am I biased.

If most people who go to Disney wanted masks why is almost no one wearing one at the parks?

Nobody is stopping guests from wearing a mask yet I’m suppose to believe that what everyone wants ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How am I biased.

If most people who go to Disney wanted masks why is almost no one wearing one at the parks?

Nobody is stopping guests from wearing a mask yet I’m suppose to believe that what everyone wants ?
Wait…

did you not two days ago say you would “refuse and cancel” your august 11 trip if masks were required? Your words? (I may have you confused)

parlaying that to a pro-mask conspiracy is a bit of a “taint” now.

To be fair: no one wants masks…they are still unlikely…and I think if anything an indoor may be a step.

may last until the numbers go down to where they were in June. Frankly, the southern states screwed that up…but we can chew on that later

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good news. Its burning through FL right now. I spent last week at WDW. Totally subjective on my part but heard lots more coughs and sneezes at the end of my trip than the beginning. My entire family came down with sore throat/congestion over the past 2 days, as we were leaving. Pretty mild. May or may not be Covid. I’m not going to bother with test because we are all vaccinated, 2 of us had subsequent positive tests, and all off work/school the next week anyway. Will camp out at home.

As a side, we spent 4 hours last Monday night at a Disney recommended Advent Health urgent care center right by DS. My daughter had a wrist injury and we wanted an X-ray. During that 4 hours, there were many people coming in for Covid tests. Most of them had reservations but still had to wait 3-4 hours (middle of the night at this point). Bottom line - it’s not as easy to get a covid test around there anymore.

I think there are likely TONS of undiagnosed cases. Delta will run wild in the short term, but we too will hopefully be on the downslope in a month or so.
Thanks for the “lift”, Bub 🤪

carolina_yankee

The parks have been open for awhile with no hit to public perception.

If the public was concerned about the virus you would see a lot more people wearing masks at the parks.

Heck the UK has opened back up right in the middle of the spike and we are gonna close down again?

Makes no sense.
I seriously doubt anybody anywhere is going to close down again if there is ready access to vaccines. That’s the ticket out of this, as you’ve emphasized. However, if hospitalizations increase to dangerous levels, I can see indoor-masking coming back, and perhaps capacity constraInts.

New Jersey’s position is that the overwhelming decisive metric in bringing back masking is hospitalizations. Right now, our capacity is just fine, so it’s not on the table. Honestly, I wouldn’t set foot in Florida without masking given their numbers. I bet well over half the people at WDW aren’t vaccinated. So, Disney’s off my list for quite some time.

Maybe September 2022 (fifteen anniversary of our DisneyMoon), but I won’t go if masking is required (no fun), or necessary by circumstances (Also no fun).

I’m hoping over the next year people get a clue and vaccinate. Covid ain’t going away, so let’s live with it safely.

lisa12000

My MIL was pinged and when she was done self-isolating, she had to get her car fixed and get some groceries. From doing that, she was pinged again. It's ridiculous. She was "free" for one day and had to self-isolate again.

yep sounds very familiar - my friend is a teacher so she ended up isolating for 10 days due her bubble popping - she was free for a day, went to Iceland - got pinged a day or so later!! That’s her fourth isolation in a few months

Last edited:

carolina_yankee

No the problem is with the attitude of those who refuse to get vaccinated.

But yeah I guess the real problem here is the vaccinated who don’t want to wear a mask.

That’s going to fix everything !
I would say the problem is the *unvaccinated* who don’t want to wear a mask. If you can’t tell who is vaccinated and who isn’t, and there is a rapid spread of COVID in your area, and you have an environment that is ripe for infection, then masking for all is logical.

That is, if Advent Health wants to get out of Condition Red and resume lucrative non-emergent surgeries again.

If you’re unvaccinated, get vaccinated, or wear a mask. If not, everybody gets to wear a mask. That’s how COVID works.

Trauma

Wait…

did you not two days ago say you would “refuse and cancel” your august 11 trip if masks were required? Your words? (I may have you confused)

parlaying that to a pro-mask conspiracy is a bit of a “taint” now.

To be fair: no one wants masks…they are still unlikely…and I think if anything an indoor may be a step.

may last until the numbers go down to where they were in June. Frankly, the southern states screwed that up…but we can chew on that later
Yeah that was not me I’m going in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom