Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfx

I'm not saying that at all. I wish they could be 100% honest without someone waiting in the wings to twist the information to the point where it's unrecognizable...but there are people doing exactly that...and they're making this whole ordeal way worse and way harder than it needs to be. I don't envy anyone in this administration and the mess they're dealing with.

But really, that is what you are saying - they shouldn't release the accurate information because it doesn't support their narrative and goal. That's the crux of it all.

The people that are going to twist things around, are going to find something to twist around no matter what.

Personally, the one way to really get under my skin is to treat me like a child - I didn't like being treated like a kid when I was one, I certainly don't now as a middle-aged man. And when they say "Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain!" the first instinct I have is to rip that curtain down.

Not being honest with the numbers and what we are really facing is just mucking up things even more.

ImperfectPixie

But really, that is what you are saying - they shouldn't release the accurate information because it doesn't support their narrative and goal. That's the crux of it all.

The people that are going to twist things around, are going to find something to twist around no matter what.

Personally, the one way to really get under my skin is to treat me like a child - I didn't like being treated like a kid when I was one, I certainly don't now as a middle-aged man. And when they say "Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain!" the first instinct I have is to rip that curtain down.

Not being honest with the numbers and what we are really facing is just mucking up things even more.
I hear you. And to a point I agree with you. But if there's anything I've learned throughout this whole thing it's that there's an awful lot of stupid people out there who need to be treated like children.

Be glad that you aren't one of them.

Heppenheimer

Yes, we should only have State Approved media, that does not allow questioning or the presentation of any data that would suggest anything other than perfect 100% effectiveness of the vaccines as a virtual impenetrable shield, we must not allow people any unapproved thoughts, and we mustn't let reality or any inconvenient truths get in the way of the sanctioned narrative.

What some of you don't seem to get is that what you are suggesting is even more dangerous - because you are making people like me, who believe the vaccines are very effective, but accept the reality that they are 100% nothing, doubt and suspect the truthfulness of the information presented even more.

So in fact, what all this "shhhhh! we can't talk about that" stuff is doing is creating more skeptics, not less. The fact that the White House is being so cagey, so defensive about this topic sets off major alarm bells in my head - and it makes me believe the percentage of breakthroughs must be stratospheric, because if they were not - they wouldn't be gaslighting us into thinking the question is irrelevant.
The White House doesn't control that kind of information. The fact that a press secretary didn't know something isn't exactly proof of a conspiracy.

Unfortunately, it appears that unlike raw case numbers, breakthrough cases are being logged nationally in a rather haphazard fashion. There doesn't seem to be any one consistent database or methodology. This obviously needs to improve.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

huwar18

Sorry if this is off topic. However, we just got back from Disney. I am just curious about these long lines. I have been to Disney when Space Mountain was 90 minutes and the line never reached out into Tomorrowland. However, now a 60 minute line loops throughout Tomorrowland multiple times. When talking to people, they say social distancing. However, there was no social distancing when we were there.

DisneyDebRob

Sorry if this is off topic. However, we just got back from Disney. I am just curious about these long lines. I have been to Disney when Space Mountain was 90 minutes and the line never reached out into Tomorrowland. However, now a 60 minute line loops throughout Tomorrowland multiple times. When talking to people, they say social distancing. However, there was no social distancing when we were there.
Was it actually 60 minutes or was that just the posted time? When I was at WDW in April there was social distancing still going strong for the most part. But the wait times were under what was posted. Granted that was well before they opened it up to higher attendance.
I’ve heard reports from a few of wife’s clients that it’s not the most enjoyable vacation right now. April wasn’t either but had to use points.

Disney Experience

Was there a line inside? Did they use all of queuing areas? I an wondering if they are trying to minimize indoor time.

huwar18

Was it actually 60 minutes or was that just the posted time? When I was at WDW in April there was social distancing still going strong for the most part. But the wait times were under what was posted. Granted that was well before they opened it up to higher attendance.
I’ve heard reports from a few of wife’s clients that it’s not the most enjoyable vacation right now. April wasn’t either but had to use points.
Most were over reported times. However, SM was all of 60 minutes. It’s just weird that the physical lines are that long when they are not social distancing. I’m not complaining. I’m just curious. We lucked out. The first 6 days of our trip were very enjoyable. The lines were super short and the waits were not bad. However, the last three were almost unbearable.

Disney Experience

They usually determine estimated wait time by giving someone in line an item that a cast member takes back before they get on the actual ride. The time between these two events is used to calculate the wait time. Perhaps they are not doing this as much post covid

Trauma

They usually determine estimated wait time by giving someone in line an item that a cast member takes back before they get on the actual ride. The time between these two events is used to calculate the wait time. Perhaps they are not doing this as much post covid
No fastpass I would assume is the reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even without forced physical distancing people may just be staying further away from each other. I know I still do when out in public. I’m not measuring out 6 feet or anything but I’m still more aware of where I stand or walk then I ever was before Covid.

LittleBuford

I don't think this was really a regious reason tbh. The church itself is not anti-vax
I should have been clearer: I was referring to his personal religiosity. That said, I do wish the church’s founder had actually encouraged vaccination after this tragic death. I find his statement to the media a little too noncommittal, though perhaps I’m being unfair:

“While many of our staff, leadership and congregation have already received the COVID-19 vaccine, we recognize this is a personal decision for each individual to make with the counsel of medical professionals,"

danlb_2000

Premium Member

These Israeli studies,

Any idea why they don’t seem to line up with data elsewhere?

What does everyone here make of this?

Here is one video that talks about this. He compares the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine using studies from Isreal and and the UK. Isreal shows a significant drop off in protection from infection and symptomatic infection that is not seen in the UK study, but both show that the vaccine is still very effective in preventing serious illness and hospitalization. He mentions that one possibility is the interval between doses, Israel used the standard 3 week, but the UK used 12 weeks. Not sure if we have comparable data from other countries that would either rule out or support the interval theory.

dreday3

These Israeli studies,

Any idea why they don’t seem to line up with data elsewhere?

What does everyone here make of this?

This is the only thing that (slightly) concerns me about going to Disney in October. I was fully vaccinated (2 weeks after second dose) at the end of Feb. Everyone else I'm going with was fully vaccinated in April.

I want a booster. Can I pretend I wasn't vaccinated and go get another shot? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom