Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Two reports of "delta transmission in seconds" doesn't make it a fact. If it could regularly be transmitted in seconds I think we would be seeing far more cases.
Well...if that really did happen (which I think is possible, given where it happened and the contact tracing going on there), that doesn't necessarily mean it's considered a common occurrence. So it may be fact, yet be rare.

Trauma

Masks don't prevent transmission, they reduce it. So the 30 minutes unmasked doesn't undo the 5 hours masked. And if we are only concerned about lunch, other measures can be put in place to keep kids distanced to reduce the spread.
Yeah I would say it’s undone if your kid comes home sick.

But hey at least they where protected until they weren’t.

We did the best we could !!

lazyboy97o

Please explain this to me I’m still lost on this thing.

You take 20 people and put them in a room for 5 hours - all masked.

Halfway thru this time together, they all take of their masks for 30 minutes.

Are they protected from transmission?
You keep framing everything as one and done. It isn’t that one virus gets in you and you’re suddenly shedding new viruses like a fire hose. A person needs to have so much exposure before getting sick and how much an infected person sheds is going to vary person-to-person and through the course of infection.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah I would say it’s undone if your kid comes home sick.

But hey at least they where protected until they weren’t.

We did the best we could !!

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you did, would you make them ware a mask 24/7 when they are at home?

Trauma

I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you did, would you make them ware a mask 24/7 when they are at home?
No My family is fully vaccinated.

However if I had kids too young to get vaccinated, and I thought they where at risk, they would be remote learning or homeschooled.

Wendy Pleakley

Please explain this to me I’m still lost on this thing.

You take 20 people and put them in a room for 5 hours - all masked.

Halfway thru this time together, they all take of their masks for 30 minutes.

Are they protected from transmission?

This discussion reminds me of memes like the following that have circulated around:

1626975049546.png

It's supposed to be this "gotcha" moment indicating the rules are silly, but are they?

Short of a full lockdown, we were never going to be completely isolated from other people.

If social distancing is possible, like in a line-up, do it. If it's not possible, like on a plane, decide if the situation is worth the personal risk.

If I were to fly during the pandemic I'd still avoid close contact with people outside of the crowded plane. Is it 100% safe? Of course not, but it's safer than being in close quarters with people on the plane AND multiple people in all of the various lines prior to boarding.

Whether the school policy is the right one is up for debate, as is whether or not people should be flying at all, or visiting theme parks at all, etc. However, when we talk about these situations that carry some degree of risk, it's still smart to find ways to reduce that risk.

Compromise has always been the name of the game. WDW opened with masking and capacity limits, allowing people to work and enjoy some leisure while still taking steps to reduce to risk. That's why many people expressed concern when WDW made masks optional indoors. Few people were saying to shut it down completely, but were saying that given the situation the amount of risk mitigation is insufficient.

Trauma

For the record my daughter did not attend school
Last year.

Remote learning for her.

I would get the emails every freaking day with how many students tested positive that day.

Don’t tell me schools are safe just because you are wearing a mask.

Sorry I have the emails to prove otherwise.

Angel Ariel

No My family is fully vaccinated.

However if I had kids too young to get vaccinated, and I thought they where at risk, they would be remote learning or homeschooled.
That’s a great personal position to take. I took it last year. unfortunately there are more complicating factors to consider this year - for us, that includes (but is not limited to) primarily my child’s mental health, and her need for in person related services (pt/ot/speech) from school.

Angel Ariel

Last year.

Remote learning for her.

I would get the emails every freaking day with how many students tested positive that day.

No one is saying they are “safe.” We are saying schools with masking are “safER” than being in school and fully unmasked all day every day.

ImperfectPixie

Last year.

Remote learning for her.

The VAST majority of transmissions here were at outside-of-school events. Our district broke down where exposure occurred (in or outside of school), how many from each group tested positive as a result (student or school employee), and how many from each group had to quarantine.

Outside of school transmission was so bad that they had to limit the e-mails to once per week. The majority of transmission was among high school students hanging out after school and on weekends and having parties. There were some transmissions due to after-school sports, but they were relatively few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom