Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I would agree with you but families like mine with kids under 12 are up the Swanee. We aren't able to get back to normal due to the high level of community transmission and the low vaccination rates in our area, add to that the fact that masks will be optional in schools in August, there will be no realistic virtual school option due to executive order of our governor and I worry we'll be pretty much stuck at home until after Christmas.
I sympathize. But you're really making a personal choice here for your kids and your family (which is what you are supposed to do IMO). You could have looked at the data and information available and went the completely opposite direction, as I did, and decided that it was okay your my under 12s to resume their normal activities. I understand why your risk assessments is the opposite of mine, but they are both personal assessments of the situation and risk involved.

Except the unvaccinated people are the cause of breakthroughs, the reason for discussions of rolling back on restrictions, the reason why test sites are reaching capacity, and the reason that we are still talking about this when the entire country has been eligible for months and could be virtually eliminated in the states. Anyone who hasn't taken the vaccine (if eligible) is downright exhausting at this point.

Like I said, I'm not worried about breakthroughs.
Talking about rolling back restrictions doesn't bother me, I don't buy into the fear mongering. We will see if it happens.
I have a trip to WDW planned in a few weeks, I'm not at all worried that things will be restricted, although if they decide not to open up park capacity due to Delta spreading I'm all for that.

disneygeek90

Like I said, I'm not worried about breakthroughs.
Talking about rolling back restrictions doesn't bother me, I don't buy into the fear mongering. We will see if it happens.
I have a trip to WDW planned in a few weeks, I'm not at all worried that things will be restricted, although if they decide not to open up park capacity due to Delta spreading I'm all for that.
Park capacity is basically non existent as is, if not worse than normal due to closed shows, stores and restaurants.

jpinkc

My friend who refuses to take the mRNA vaccines because they "modify your DNA" is an otherwise pretty smart person who is not normally a whacko conspiracy theorist. He convinced himself of this fact and I can't change his mind. He was going to get J&J and then his appointment got cancelled from the pause. After that he got uncomfortable with that one also and is currently not vaccinated.
I understand his intellectual fears, mRNA is soooo new, there might be a long term consideration and I respect that opinion, Science doesnt and cant know. I even with those fears got Pfizer, because I dont want to get sick or cause anyone else to be sick. J&J was not available in my area at the time of my vaccination. My whole family got Pfizer or Moderna for my wife.

ImperfectPixie

I understand his intellectual fears, mRNA is soooo new, there might be a long term consideration and I respect that opinion, Science doesnt and cant know. I even with those fears got Pfizer, because I dont want to get sick or cause anyone else to be sick. J&J was not available in my area at the time of my vaccination. My whole family got Pfizer or Moderna for my wife.
The "long term consideration" is a VERY common theme originating with the anti-vaxx movement many, many years ago. mRNA vaccines have been in development for decades.

ETA: To clarify...the only reason we've never had an mRNA vaccine approved before is because there weren't enough people getting sick at the same time to perform trials. COVID provided enough patients for trials to occur.

GimpYancIent

That is crap. Let this ban me from my own thread - it’s a hill I’m prepared to die on. But ONE side has proudly held the belief that it was nothing to worry about. I refuse to let that rest on both. That goes BEYOND the US.

I really find it infuriating.
Old quote about news people; "The indispensable requirement for a good newspaperman - as eager to tell a lie as the truth. — Norman Mailer"

disneygeek90

The "long term consideration" is a VERY common theme originating with the anti-vaxx movement many, many years ago. mRNA vaccines have been in development for decades.

ETA: To clarify...the only reason we've never had an mRNA vaccine approved before is because there weren't enough people getting sick at the same time to perform trials. COVID provided enough patients for trials to occur.
The science and history of the mRNA is honestly so cool. It's a shame some believe there's arbitrary risks that somehow they're aware of but not the actual medical professionals that created and studied this stuff.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Old quote about news people; "The indispensable requirement for a good newspaperman - as eager to tell a lie as the truth. — Norman Mailer"
Great. But that’s no defense for the peak of stupidity that’s been peddled from the top down. Love Mailer but this is about global survival - economically. Oh yes and death/illness. Also, he said that before social media and the 24-hour news cycle. This is a completely different beast.

Mailer, brilliant though he was, wouldn’t be able to make sense of today’s soup. He just wouldn’t.

Bastet

Yes cases are very high in the UK, hospital admissions and deaths are still way, way down on earlier this year. The vaccines are working rather well at preventing people from dying. All my family are vaccinated apart from my nieces and nephew - they have been testing at leasy twice a week since they returned to school and have never tested positive. You all keep saying we should not have gone ahead with freedom day but we cannot stay locked up, unable to do anything for ever so what would you do?? Boris was dammed if he went ahead with freedom day and equally dammed if he didnt. Whatever is done is the wrong decision for different groups of people. Sorry if I am rambling, I am just so ded up with it all.

jpinkc

Oh I get that and understand, one of our good friends is a Doctor at KU Med, he went over it in depth with us when it was first approved for use. He did admit he was hesitant even looking at the science and history but he did it and as he put it to those of us he talked with, It is 1 better than getting Covid as he has and is front line in seeing it. 2 His opinion agreed with most of the science the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I have family on both sides of the issue. Most are not what I call on the Nutball scale of conspiracy theories, they are taking the wait and see some have got the J&J now. I myself didnt want to risk it, for my or any others around me welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom