Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill in Atlanta

People should use this opportunity to take care of themselves, and teach their children too - so when the next pandemic hits they will be better able to cope with it.
This. I still wonder why there wasn’t more of an emphasis put on immune system (and overall) health when this first broke out.

Heppenheimer

Vitamin D has been proven to have a positive effect.
So has taking care of oneself in general, particularly not being obese.
People should use this opportunity to take care of themselves, and teach their children too - so when the next pandemic hits they will be better able to cope with it.
No, vitamin D supplementation has not shown to be particularly helpful for COVID:

The only published benefits I've seen for Vitamin D are a small study that showed fewer ICU transfers in people who received a vitamin D supplement, but this was confounded because the groups were not properly randomized, and the non-treatment group had a higher baseline incidence of hypertension and diabetes, things that will make them more vulnerable to COVID.

This retrospective cohort study showed a higher incidence of COVID in people with a known low vitamin D level, but low vitamin D levels are generally a marker of poorer health, not the cause. A common theme in vitamin D research is low baseline levels being correlated to worse health outcomes, but supplementation failing to improve the specific outcome studied.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed…get vaccinated. End of story but I’m no longer living in fear and going about my life as normal as my whole family is vaccinated. If you choose not to that’s on you
I don’t think it’s a “either or”...

I’m fully into real life resuming - hopefully with positive changes - but when you go out...go to a damn rite aid first.

hell...states will pick you up and take you there! There are no other excuses other than people are too stupid to identify con men.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This. I still wonder why there wasn’t more of an emphasis put on immune system (and overall) health when this first broke out.
Probably because “everyone get healthy” isn’t a viable health plan in a pinch?
What do you think we've been yelling about in the medical profession for years? For all but a small number of people, there's no difference between "immune health" and "general health".
Totally agree. Which is why the downfall of the Disney buffet wouldn’t be a bad thing...

...but who are we kidding? Only a matter of time there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What can the government do to promote better overall health? One big answer is to make sure everyone has access to health care. There’s a large correlation between people in generally poor overall health and lack of access to healthcare. Looking at Covid poor and disenfranchised people were disproportionately impacted including more hospitalizations and more death. Will free universal healthcare really drive obesity to zero? Probably not, but it would probably help and would definitely make us better prepared for the next pandemic. Somebody has to pay for it though. So do we really care about better health for everyone? Are we willing to pay for it? Some say yes, some say no.

Heppenheimer

What can the government do to promote better overall health? One big answer is to make sure everyone has access to health care. There’s a large correlation between people in generally poor overall health and lack of access to healthcare. Looking at Covid poor and disenfranchised people were disproportionately impacted including more hospitalizations and more death. Will free universal healthcare really drive obesity to zero? Probably not, but it would probably help and would definitely make us better prepared for the next pandemic. Somebody has to pay for it though. So do we really care about better health for everyone? Are we willing to pay for it? Some say yes, some say no.
I'm not of the opinion that universal health insurance would affect obesity rates at all, because that's largely a matter of leading a horse to water. And our society just isn't organized around encouraging the things that would reduce obesity. But it would help reduce some of the health consequences of obesity.

Heppenheimer

Totally agree. Which is why the downfall of the Disney buffet wouldn’t be a bad thing...

I would like to start with at least normal portion sizes. Other than two of the higher-end restaurants, I don't think I was able to finish more than half a plate during my last trip to Disneyland.

Angel Ariel

The same emailed “warning” also included something about there being “very little risk” of a resurgence to those who are fully vaccinated. The CDC said the same thing, even with the delta variant. The Pfizer vaccine will likely be available by the fall for school children, so soon enough everyone will be able to get vaccinated.

The solution here is quite simple, and I fail to understand why some won’t get vaccinated. Part of me feels that if the virus resurges amongst the unvaccinated it’s their own fault.
I saw some concern recently that the fda is considering not approving emergency authorization for kids when those vaccines are ready.

I hope that will turn out to be inaccurate, as I absolutely want DD to get the vaccine as soon as one is available to her.

Mr. Moderate

You are right, but at this point consequences need to happen if the vaccine hesitant are to change their minds. I live in a very low vaccinated-rate state and I've heard every excuse in the book to reject the vaccine, all more ridiculous as the next. "It alters your DNA you know." "We're not going to see the true side-effects of the vaccine for 5-10 years." Blah, blah, blah.

Of course the ones most likely to get the shot are those who have suffered from the virus in some way - got sick themselves, lost a loved one, worked in an industry that was hurt by the virus, etc. It's those that lived in their little quarantine bubble watching Tucker Carlson every night that are screwing this up for the rest of us. So I say, let them suffer.
I enjoy reading your opinion as I do others on this topic and part of me agrees with you, but I want to point out something that I bolded. I firmly believe in people taking responsibility for their actions or in this case, their inactions, but your statement of let them suffer won't just fall on their shoulders. By their own reluctance, I call it stupidity in some cases, due to misleading information from certain sources in this country, will effect us all greatly. If rates do go up in the fall due to this variant and they just might, those unvaccinated people will cause a cascade event that could easily put us back in lockdown.

I dread this happening and honestly I fear it as this point, but sadly there's nothing we can do to get these misguided and in some cases, selfish people to get vaccinated. It's frustrating to say the least and I think too many are thinking that the virus is over and doing a end zone celebration. The Delta variant scares me and this virus seems to have more legs than a spider at this point.

Lilofan

One of my favorite buffets was at Port Orleans 20 years ago for breakfast . All you can eat including grilled steak and beignets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom