Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Pleakley

My Dad caught a cold this weekend and it’s been super annoying to him. Not everything about returning to normal is a positive.

There's also the stress of getting a cold and not knowing if it's COVID or not.

I've had a cold at WDW in the past. It's just something one deals with, and does their best not to make anyone else sick.

Now one might wonder if they have a cold or just minor COVID. Should they get tested? Should they isolate for two weeks?

willtravel

Just some food for thought. Could have sworn I heard some folks talking about this here this weekend🤨😄
If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, that's up to them, and I certainly won't oppose that position. However, let's not pretend masks offer no benefit at all.
Could this also be that people had not been going out like they were pre Covid or more people worked from home or social distancing? I don't think anyone can say this was all because of masks.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Just some food for thought. Could have sworn I heard some folks talking about this here this weekend🤨😄
If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, that's up to them, and I certainly won't oppose that position. However, let's not pretend masks offer no benefit at all.
During the time of mask mandates and policies, I've heard plenty of people that sounded like they had a cold. Coughing, sneezing and/or sounding congested. It is a myth that there has been no other respiratory illness during COVID mitigations.

The flu season was practically zero but I still posit that that has more to do with travel from Asia (where the yearly flu outbreak originates) being restricted than anything else.

DisneyDebRob

During the time of mask mandates and policies, I've heard plenty of people that sounded like they had a cold. Coughing, sneezing and/or sounding congested. It is a myth that there has been no other respiratory illness during COVID mitigations.

The flu season was practically zero but I still posit that that has more to do with travel from Asia (where the yearly flu outbreak originates) being restricted than anything else.
Yeah.. no. When it drops to 3-6% of a usual year you have to look at the biggest reasons for it. It was virtually non existent this year. Again, doctors seem to disagree with you about the main reasons for that. Of course international travel helped in cases, but masks, social distancing and washing and sanitizing and kids not being in school, which is huge for flu transmissions were the main reasons.

Kevin_W

The downsides could become quite apparent in a fire or other emergency. A number of these solutions are not compliant with fire and life safety codes.

That's a good point I had not thought of. My company sells composites resins that are used in construction (often ceiling panels) and there is quite a bit of work that goes into UL certification and fire testing for these panels. The acrylic plexiglass that has popped up everywhere probably doesn't reach those same standards.

ABQ

Could this also be that people had not been going out like they were pre Covid or more people worked from home or social distancing? I don't think you can say this was all because of masks.
Agreed. It does seem that every article similar to this, and there are many, seem to focus so hard on the mask aspect, and it certainly has its merits. But social distancing, not going out to dinner at all, working from home, not traveling. Keeping to yourself is easily as attributable to not catching a cold or flu than just wearing a mask. No one can say for sure, but if the majority of the population wear masks but behave exactly as they did in 2019, you'd see cold and flu spread again. How much, unknown, but masks are/were just 1 important factor in the entire mitigation plan.

Incomudro

Agreed. It does seem that every article similar to this, and there are many, seem to focus so hard on the mask aspect, and it certainly has its merits. But social distancing, not going out to dinner at all, working from home, not traveling. Keeping to yourself is easily as attributable to not catching a cold or flu than just wearing a mask. No one can say for sure, but if the majority of the population wear masks but behave exactly as they did in 2019, you'd see cold and flu spread again. How much, unknown, but masks are/were just 1 important factor in the entire mitigation plan.
The happiest place on earth closed, as did every other theme park, bars, schools, concerts, plays, movie and television production, sports events in stadiums, beaches, weddings, restaurants, churches and other religious gatherings, much public transportation to work - for those that even went to work (many still haven't gone back) - came to a stop, and masking is given virtually all the credit for reductions in rate of spread.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The happiest place on earth closed, as did every other theme park, bars, schools, concerts, plays, movie and television production, sports events in stadiums, beaches, weddings, restaurants, churches and other religious gatherings, much public transportation to work - for those that even went to work (many still haven't gone back) - came to a stop, and masking is given virtually all the credit for reductions in rate of spread.
Fine, I'll start a COVID Awards committee and we can give out awards to the masks, the social distancing, the staying home, the everything. I can't say Plexiglass is in the running but I'm sure voters will bend if pressed.

Disney Analyst

Look at that second dose line rising on up, yay Canada!

1623709783850.png
a

ABQ

Isn't Canada already leading the world in first doses, which, assuming everyone shows up for the 2nd, will become the world leader overall by population percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom