Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

lol. I lived for 30 years in Ohio. But thanks anyway.
Could've seriously fooled me as a lifelong Ohioan. Not joking either. Granted I've lived in a few different parts of the state and being in all 3 types (rural, suburban, and urban) so maybe I have a more wide spread view of things. But again Ohio is better than WV in terms of vax status and really any "diverse politics" are in bubbles. Sometimes living in a bubble I forget how singular it can be in many areas of the state. Then I drive down 71 or out 70 west and I'm reminded of the 100% difference between my suburban life and the rural that most of the state is.

Phil12

They are running the AC in the buses. If a bus does not have working AC it is pulled from service.

However, since Covid they are running the buses with the rear emergency hatch in the ceiling open. This is done to increase ventilation in the bus. Because of this seats in the rear often feel a bit warmer and more humid than usual.
They're just trying to make the buses feel more like the Skyliner gondolas.😰

Giants14

Apologises if this has already been discussed, i'm too lazy to read all 3000+ pages haha

What is the likeihood of everything in Disney being re-opened for Summer 2022 - i.e do we believe fireworks and character greets being available next summer.

Trying to convince my wife to go 2022 but there is the obvious concern of travelling etc

James J

In the Parks
No
Apologises if this has already been discussed, i'm too lazy to read all 3000+ pages haha

What is the likeihood of everything in Disney being re-opened for Summer 2022 - i.e do we believe fireworks and character greets being available next summer.

Trying to convince my wife to go 2022 but there is the obvious concern of travelling etc
The info will be amongst various other threads here, but the likelihood seems very high for it to be much more normal feeling way before Summer 2022. I don't know how soon full on character greets will be back but our insiders point to fireworks being back within the next few weeks.

havoc315

What would be really interesting, but probably close to impossible, would be to see the demographics on a day by day basis for WDW and Universal and follow those people to see what infection rates during the restriction periods and then after.

You would need control groups, as “restrictions” were only 1 of many many factors affecting infection rates. And such control groups aren’t possible.

For example, you would need to compare infection rate with restrictions on October 1, 2020 with infection rate without restrictions on October 1, 2020, in order to control for seasonality.

ABQ

As case counts continue to drop, the more important stat to focus on, all along imho, would be hospitalization rates, which also continue to drop, along all age groups as well:
1623684746580.png

One would assume that as hospitalizations decline so will deaths, I hope.

LittleBuford

Communicora

Premium Member
An interesting article in the Washing Post concerning "hygiene theater".

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/temp-checks-digital-menus-touchless-124057363.html

The article starts with some examples:

WASHINGTON - At an ice cream shop in Rockville, Md., gloved servers scoop the frozen treat into cups, but a sign taped to the front window says "No cones: Covid." At McDonald's outlets along I-95 in Virginia, yellow police-style tape cordons off self-serve beverage stations. And at Nationals Park, baseball fans use a QR code and digital menu rather than ordering directly from the person who hands them their hot dog.​
None of these precautions provide meaningful protection against the spread of the coronavirus, safety experts say. Instead, they are examples of what critics call "hygiene theater," the deployment of symbolic tactics that do little to prevent the spread of the coronavirus but may make some anxious consumers feel safer.​

12 months ago I remember disinfecting my grocery bags after watching a segment by Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Hey, there was a lot of fear that COVID was being spread on surfaces. We just didn't know at the time.

As far as I can tell, WDW has stopped most of these practices now

Still I wonder, are there instances where WDW is still engaged in hygiene theater?

Thanks!
I wish they would keep a lot of the cleaning protocols in place. Covid isn't the only bug around.

ParentsOf4

I wish they would keep a lot of the cleaning protocols in place. Covid isn't the only bug around.
I agree, cleaning is good. But numerous experts now say a lot of what was done is a waste of effort, effort that could be more productive elsewhere.

I'm not here to argue against cleaning, I'm only pointing out that nearly all experts now agree that a lot of what was done was ineffective.

Wendy Pleakley

An interesting article in The Washington Post concerning "hygiene theater".

Temp checks, digital menus and 'touchless' mustard: The maddening persistence of 'hygiene theater'

WASHINGTON - At an ice cream shop in Rockville, Md., gloved servers scoop the frozen treat into cups, but a sign taped to the front window says "No cones: Covid." At McDonald's outlets along I-95 in Virginia, yellow police-style tape cordons off self-serve beverage stations. And at Nationals Park, baseball fans use a QR code and digital menu rather than ordering directly from the person who hands them their hot dog.​
None of these precautions provide meaningful protection against the spread of the coronavirus, safety experts say. Instead, they are examples of what critics call "hygiene theater," the deployment of symbolic tactics that do little to prevent the spread of the coronavirus but may make some anxious consumers feel safer.​

12 months ago I remember disinfecting my grocery bags after watching a segment by Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Hey, there was a lot of fear that COVID was being spread on surfaces. We just didn't know at the time.

Still I wonder, are there instances where WDW is still engaged in hygiene theater?

Thanks!

Edit: One example of hygiene theater that WDW ended a few weeks ago was locking open trash cans. Personally, I don't think of it as hygiene theater because when Disney first did this, it was a best practice at the time. However, if Disney had continued this, it would be considered hygiene theater.

You left out the part where they point out some reasons for some of these things. Businesses get people back in part by making people feel safe. Sure there's some overkill, but there's not a lot of downside to being overly cautious.

Defenders of hygiene theater argue that some restrictions that seem nonsensical or outdated may nonetheless be useful in helping people dive back into society. Leininger said she isn't ready to "shame businesses for hygiene theater because I have so much empathy for employers. Sometimes the way we mitigate risk is through emotions."

Personally, I'm going to be more diligent about using hand sanitizer in the future. How often does one touch railings at WDW that thousands of other people have also touched? I think regular hand cleaning will be beneficial, and isn't something I worried about before.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
An interesting article in The Washington Post concerning "hygiene theater".

Temp checks, digital menus and 'touchless' mustard: The maddening persistence of 'hygiene theater'

Thanks!

Edit: One example of hygiene theater that WDW ended a few weeks ago was locking open trash cans. Personally, I don't think of it as hygiene theater because when Disney first did this, it was a best practice at the time. However, if Disney had continued this, it would be considered hygiene theater.

I think in some cases these procedures were put in place early on (at Disney or elsewhere) and no one has bothered to review them and make the call that they are no longer necessary.

lazyboy97o

Sure there's some overkill, but there's not a lot of downside to being overly cautious.
The downsides could become quite apparent in a fire or other emergency. A number of these solutions are not compliant with fire and life safety codes. Early on we saw some places propping open stair doors to encourage people to take them instead of elevators, but those doors are there and closed to prevent the spread of smoke and fire. Many acrylic sheets easily spread flames and are limited on how much of such materials can be present. In my experience I’ve seen a lot of small businesses rig up these frames and partitions out of cheap lumber not treated with fire retardants. Even hand sanitizer is limited in its quantities and placement. Then there are temporary/movable things like the stanchioned hand sanitizer dispensers used by Disney that are dropped into exit halls, created a hazard in the means of egress. I’ve also seen temperature scanners set up near doors where the would make it difficult for a person in a wheelchair to enter or could block egress.

durangojim

Just some food for thought. Could have sworn I heard some folks talking about this here this weekend🤨😄
If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, that's up to them, and I certainly won't oppose that position. However, let's not pretend masks offer no benefit at all.

Wendy Pleakley

Just some food for thought. Could have sworn I heard some folks talking about this here this weekend🤨😄
If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, that's up to them, and I certainly won't oppose that position. However, let's not pretend masks offer no benefit at all.

It's true. This is the longest I've gone without catching a cold.

Not that it's realistic to expect this in the future, but we could learn a few things from this pandemic. Working from home if one has a minor cold, washing hands more often, wearing a mask if sick and/or in crowded environments, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom