Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
That would do awesome things for high risk kids like mine. /s
Oh I’m pretty sure they would only recommend dropping masks for kids who aren’t high risk. I think when the risk is low enough, the CDC will shift from recommending masks for everyone to recommending them for those who are high risk. Unfortunately COVID may be around for awhile.

Angel Ariel

Oh I’m pretty sure they would only recommend dropping masks for kids who aren’t high risk. I think when the risk is low enough, the CDC will shift from recommending masks for everyone to recommending them for those who are high risk. Unfortunately COVID may be around for awhile.
Yes, but as has been understood, masks more protect others from you than they protect you from others (save n95 masks). When both parties are masked, then both are protected. Those with vaccines can still catch and spread COVID, though at lesser amounts. Until the younger age levels have the opportunity to be vaccinated, such measures will force high risk families into isolation that would not be necessary if the masking remained in effect. that isolation has had such a negative impact on these kids as it is. That should be more important than the “inconvenience” of a mask.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, but as has been understood, masks more protect others from you than they protect you from others (save n95 masks). When both parties are masked, then both are protected. Those with vaccines can still catch and spread COVID, though at lesser amounts. Until the younger age levels have the opportunity to be vaccinated, such measures will force high risk families into isolation that would not be necessary if the masking remained in effect. that isolation has had such a negative impact on these kids as it is. That should be more important than the “inconvenience” of a mask.
The CDC will assess all the data it has compiled in deciding whether to revise their guidelines. I’m sure they’ll take the points you made into consideration.

Angel Ariel

The CDC will assess all the data it has compiled in deciding whether to revise their guidelines. I’m sure they’ll take the points you made into consideration.
I’ll be honest, I think society as a whole at this point is fine with the comparatively small high risk population being forced into further isolation, so I don’t hold out much hope from the CDC. I’ve had other adults basically tell me my kid’s mental health doesn’t matter as much as theirs.

The pandemic has certainly impacted my faith in humanity in many ways.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ll be honest, I think society as a whole at this point is fine with the comparatively small high risk population being forced into further isolation, so I don’t hold out much hope from the CDC. I’ve had other adults basically tell me my kid’s mental health doesn’t matter as much as theirs.

The pandemic has certainly impacted my faith in humanity in many ways.
Public policy necessarily has to be based on what is best for society as a whole. I’m not sure you can blame humanity for the fact that some individuals will be impacted more than others. That’s almost always the case, but it’s small consolation when you are the one who is being adversely affected. It’s hard to believe other adults would be so callous as to say that to you.

Angel Ariel

It’s hard to believe other adults would be so callous as to say that to you.
I’ve also seen adults blame students with disabilities for their neurotypical children not being allowed to go back into school (when students with significant disabilities were allowed back in small cohorts before the general population). As recently as April 2021.

People really can suck.

Dreaming of Disney World

Unfortunately a lot of people still don't understand that. :(

ParentsOf4

For those that are vaccinated, sure. But a huge portion of WDW’s target audience - ie kids - don’t have access to that yet. And there are concerns about rising hospitalization rates for kids:

As others have suggested, perhaps WDW is not a place for anyone who is not vaccinated, including anyone under the age of 12?

No one HAS to go to WDW this year.

You have options. Vacation somewhere less crowded in 2021, and wait until your children are vaccinated before heading to WDW.

You’re the parent. You’re the adult. Make the adult decision and put your children’s health first. That WDW vacation can wait until next year.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
OK I'll bite on the elephant in the room. There is a whole lot of wiggle room in between "isolating" and bringing your "high risk" children to a theme park with thousands of people. Unless your kids are terminal and their dying wish is to do to Disney, then maybe the solution is that you should not be going in the first place even if everyone was wearing a mask. If we were to calculate the chances of them catching COVID 19 in a very crowded theme park with everyone is wearing a mask and somewhere like a state park where there is plenty of room for physical distancing, a theme park may not be where you should be going as a responsible parent of "high risk" children. You don't have to stay home, but you also don't have to take a vacation in one of the most densely populated places in the US.

Heppenheimer

OK I'll bite on the elephant in the room. There is a whole lot of wiggle room in between "isolating" and bringing your "high risk" children to a theme park with thousands of people. Unless your kids are terminal and their dying wish is to do to Disney, then maybe the solution is that you should not be going in the first place even if everyone was wearing a mask. If we were to calculate the chances of them catching COVID 19 in a very crowded theme park with everyone is wearing a mask and somewhere like a state park where there is plenty of room for physical distancing, a theme park may not be where you should be going as a responsible parent of "high risk" children. You don't have to stay home, but you also don't have to take a vacation in one of the most densely populated places in the US.
Liked this response while on vacation in Maine with my family, including unvaccinated toddler.

Jrb1979

Or here's a better idea. How about enforce the actual guidelines set out by the CDC and those not vaccinated have to wear a mask. Since that's too much work, it's no masks for everyone.

Chi84

Premium Member
Or here's a better idea. How about enforce the actual guidelines set out by the CDC and those not vaccinated have to wear a mask. Since that's too much work, it's no masks for everyone.
As long as there's no government mandate requiring Disney to enforce CDC guidelines, I think it's up to them. They can state the CDC guidelines and their "expectation" that the guidelines will be followed without asking people for vaccination status, which they have no intention of doing. Nor are they going to hassle kids under 12; hopefully the CDC will change its guidelines for that group soon so it won't be an issue.

Disney is running a theme park and it knows its audience. We were there in early May, and I doubt the people visiting at that time were particularly fearful of getting COVID. From what we saw, people were respectful and almost all (except very young children) followed mask rules, but I didn't get the feeling that anyone was happy to be wearing masks or concerned about others following mitigation measures. I could be wrong, but I think the people who are most strongly in favor of WDW strictly enforcing mask rules aren't going there now. They are probably making the decision to stay away until they're more comfortable being in crowds. As long as Disney isn't violating any laws, it has the right to make its own business decisions on how to handle the CDC guidelines.

ParentsOf4

It's not just masks.

After more than a year of either being closed or having severely limited attendance, corporate Disney wants to start making money again. They are eliminating social distancing, upping park capacity, and packing people in.

Remember, Disney has been perhaps the most cautious park when it comes to Guest safety. Disney has been a "good" corporate neighbor. So don't go complaining that Disney needs to do more - they've already done more than most.

No, really the best option is don't go to WDW right now if you are not vaccinated. Take the family camping. Take a beach vacation. Visit some national parks. There's plenty for a family to safely do this summer other than visit a crowded theme park.

WDW will be there next year and everyone will be eligible for vaccination by then.

Willmark

I don't agree. It's a fact that the variant is causing a rise in cases in parts of the UK. It's also a fact that delaying the reopening until more people are vaccinated will slow down that rise. I see nothing political in either of these observations.
YMMV

Angel Ariel

As others have suggested, perhaps WDW is not a place for anyone who is not vaccinated, including anyone under the age of 12?

No one HAS to go to WDW this year.

You have options. Vacation somewhere less crowded in 2021, and wait until your children are vaccinated before heading to WDW.

You’re the parent. You’re the adult. Make the adult decision and put your children’s health first. That WDW vacation can wait until next year.
Um, the post you’re quoting isn’t talking about myself. We will be waiting til she is vaccinated, thanks much for the concern.. Of course it’s parent decision to go or not. Parent-splaining not necessary. 🤷‍♀️

I was speaking to this bolded part of Chi84’s post that said “mask-wearing is not providing much in the way of additional protection” - and saying yes, that is true for those who are vaccinated, but it is not true for those that are not yet vaccinated, of which a large portion is wdw’s target demographic. That has nothing to do with my personal situation or being a parent.

correcaminos

They write a policy in line with the CDC. But they will NEVER say “mask this 3 year old”. It’s on the parents now. My kids were in the Pfizer Phase 1. No placebo. They are 8 and vaccinated. So don’t assume.
How did they find out before the trial was completed? Are they no longer doing double blind as before?

Sorry but being in the trial I never 100% assumed I had it until told which was in Jan. Even though I was confident, I didn't make any changes until I had physical proof. Given the number of kids in the trials right now, even if they didn't double blind it, I still think people are more in the right to assume. Sorry.

Angel Ariel

I believe you misunderstood the context of that post. my comment about our personal situation was specifically responding to Chi84 talking about the CDC removing masking recommendations across the country, not about going to WDW.

I already live in a state that has removed all masking and social distancing. So, respectfully, it’s not just about WDW. These decisions to remove masking across the board - regardless of location- without all high risk populations having access to the vaccine - *does* result in high risk families needing to isolate more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom