Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'll accept that my tone was on the harsh side and over the top.

I don't have a problem with them deciding to just be open either. The stats are down, community spread is down. It's not down enough that I would personally go with an unvaccinated kid. That's a personal decision. I'm fine if others, either all vaccinated or other that are fine with the levels they're at while unvaccinated going.

What I dislike is saying there's a rule "we expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, and upon entering and throughout all attractions" and fully expecting that this is not true.

If they said it was "no smoking" but were just fine with people smoking on It's a Small World, same reaction. If there's going to be a policy, either it means something or it doesn't.
I'm sure it's just a CYA.

Bob Harlem

There is a blogger blogging that said the captain came on the loud speaker and said the entire ship was tested and no other positive cases.

If you search social media or youtube for the ship name "Celebrity Millennium" you can get some folks talking about it that are on board (set it to show videos within the last day or week to filter out the noise). "Adventure of the Seas" is the one that leaves from Nassau tomorrow and it's probably worth scanning youtube for that also. There's an ice skater on board the ship from Nassau tomorrow that's been vlogging https://www.youtube.com/c/JordanBauth97/videos that will probably be interesting to follow. I've been watching these ships closely since these are some of the best sources of hard data/proof for vaccine effectiveness you can find.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll accept that my tone was on the harsh side and over the top.

I don't have a problem with them deciding to just be open either. The stats are down, community spread is down. It's not down enough that I would personally go with an unvaccinated kid. That's a personal decision. I'm fine if others, either all vaccinated or other that are fine with the levels they're at while unvaccinated going.

What I dislike is saying there's a rule "we expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, and upon entering and throughout all attractions" and fully expecting that this is not true.

If they said it was "no smoking" but were just fine with people smoking on It's a Small World, same reaction. If there's going to be a policy, either it means something or it doesn't.
People would be upset if smoking bans were not enforced. I think there’s more acceptance of them than mask mandates. I think based on the success of the vaccines, mask-wearing is not providing much in the way of additional protection.

Willmark

Scientists in the UK are calling for a delay in the lifting of restrictions based on the fact—and it is a fact—that the Delta variant is causing a rise in cases and hospitalisations. The delay need not be long; all that’s required is for more people to be vaccinated, which shouldn’t be difficult given the success of the UK vaccine rollout.

How is any of that political?
Because everything is political these days.

Angel Ariel

People would be upset if smoking bans were not enforced. I think there’s more acceptance of them than mask mandates. I think based on the success of the vaccines, mask-wearing is not providing much in the way of additional protection.
For those that are vaccinated, sure. But a huge portion of WDW’s target audience - ie kids - don’t have access to that yet. And there are concerns about rising hospitalization rates for kids:

GimpYancIent

I don't agree. It's a fact that the variant is causing a rise in cases in parts of the UK. It's also a fact that delaying the reopening until more people are vaccinated will slow down that rise. I see nothing political in either of these observations.
Who's talking about sailing (cruising) to the UK?

GimpYancIent

I just deleted my first reply to you as I realised you may be referring to something I'm not familiar with. Could you please clarify what you're trying to say?
No issues. I was following the conversation and it seemed to be about cruising then the UK reference came in. By all means you should be concerned with the situation in your homeland of origin.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
For those that are vaccinated, sure. But a huge portion of WDW’s target audience - ie kids - don’t have access to that yet. And there are concerns about rising hospitalization rates for kids:

We'll have to wait to see what the CDC says about it. The director has made comments signaling that they may drop mask recommendations for kids under 12.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The "foaming at the mouth" happens on both sides of this madness. And either side tends to highlight the extremes to prove their own personal narrative.

Both sides have been right and both sides have been wrong on many occasions.

This thread has devolved into a juvenile display of "the scientific study I'm referencing can beat up the scientific study you're referencing".
Devolved into….when was it not that ;););)

MaryJaneP

Vaccines help your body fight (successfully, thank God) Covid 19. It may be premature to say the war on Covid is over and that the war has been won. This country has not yet reached the percentages previously targeted. The entire planet has even worse percentages. There was a report that the world-wide percentage is the 0.4%. Freedom from wearing masks is a great incentive and a wonderful accomplishment. Yay. May all of the international contacts in WDW be more of the former and less of the latter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone posted in the last 100 pages with exactly that complaint, that a 3 year old that was asleep was asked to fix a max covering the nose.

Fine, there's some very small percentage that are. So, again, if that's the assumption, and everyone is assumed to be in a trial. We're back at the slightly small nuance of "people don't like to lie, and this technically makes them lie". That's kind of a crappy rule.

Which really, back to the other point I made. If you're not doing any mitigations including distance while unvaccinated people eat. What's the point to the rest of the rules at all?

So, if there's no point to the rule and they're not going to enforce it beyond hoping people feel guilty, it's hardly a rule at all. Just come out say "We're open, pandemic over!". For people that accept the current levels as good enough, that's 100% true.
They are pointing to the CDC guidance and saying we are following this. If the CDC drops mask recommendations for everyone then I think they move to that. It’s part CYA and part legal liability and a little bit of safety theater.

As a parent of an 11 year old it does create a dilemma for me if this rule is till in place when I go. If I let my kid not wear a mask and knowingly break the rules then I’m teaching him it’s Ok to lie and the rules don’t apply to him. If I make him wear a mask then I have to hear him complain that no other kids are wearing them.

mmascari

As a parent of an 11 year old it does create a dilemma for me if this rule is till in place when I go. If I let my kid not wear a mask and knowingly break the rules then I’m teaching him it’s Ok to lie and the rules don’t apply to him. If I make him wear a mask then I have to hear him complain that no other kids are wearing them.
Beyond that, you’ll have to consider the level of spread by August. It’s still 2 months away, could be through the floor. Or we may bottom out before that at some higher level. Today’s crystal ball is a coin flip.

I hope we’re down through the floor and it’s an easy decision for you.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Beyond that, you’ll have to consider the level of spread by August. It’s still 2 months away, could be through the floor. Or we may bottom out before that at some higher level. Today’s crystal ball is a coin flip.

I hope we’re down through the floor and it’s an easy decision for you.
Yeah, I’m assuming cases will be way down by then. I am very glad we will have some time still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom