Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Interesting stats. While overall cases are decreasing, the vast majority of new cases impact those who are unvaccinated.

That stat falls under the "duh" category but the second piece is interesting. The proportion of unvaccinated people getting COVID is increasing, if I'm reading this right.

Moral of the story? Get vaccinated. If you're not, and the restrictions at WDW go away, best to stay home.

“At this time, our outbreak is being felt primarily by the unvaccinated,” Duchin said. “Approximately a half a million people 12 years of age and older remain unvaccinated, and 97% or more of current cases are among unvaccinated people. That means if you’re unvaccinated, your risk of COVID-19 is actually higher right now than it was last Memorial Day.”
That's pretty much what the data says (our hospital work group has gone over this topic). If you are not now vaccinated, you are actually at a higher risk to contract COVID than previously.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Those New Jerseyans will never gave up don't they? They wanted to end the emergency in NJ so badly, could they have to wait until next month instead?

ABQ

Those New Jerseyans will never gave up don't they? They wanted to end the emergency in NJ so badly, could they have to wait until next month instead?

Am I the only one who when they see an image like this thinks first "I wonder if that's a photoshop job?" regardless of the topic or the situation depicted. When signs are that clear, it just makes me think it's fake. Not saying this one is, it's just my default thought.

GaBoy

Looks like next year, Olympics may be do again for one more time if they did not cancelled it cause COVID-19 in Japan.

Abysmal. Rolled the dice and lost on a homegrown vaccine and now can't get past their own need to have local safety data before approvals. Get in the back of the line.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
So what’s happening in UK? Posted a 6 week high for new cases. The delta variant now appears to be the dominant strain, and it sounds like there is some pressure to push back their 6/21 reopening. Perhaps our resident Brits could chime in. I assume this variant will bump up our numbers a bit here in the US as well, but hopefully not enough to change gears.

Just another reason for the undecideds to get the jab...
Oh gee, I didn't see this earlier. Well, there goes my anxiety again.

ABQ

It's the Delta variant causing the issue - my town was almost at 0 cases last week but now looks like this:

View attachment 561705

I know it's still a relatively small number but from being at almost 0, it's a decent jump.
The U.K. is confounding to me. Huge adoption for getting vaccinated, but then protests like this just don't juxtapose well.

And if the Times thinks that's hundreds of people, I can't imagine what thousands or more look like.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Abysmal. Rolled the dice and lost on a homegrown vaccine and now can't get past their own need to have local safety data before approvals. Get in the back of the line.
I saw a poll recently that over 70% of the public in Japan wants them to cancel the games so I think the vast majority of people there probably would be OK with going to the back of the line. It’s way too late to change for this Summer though so even if they switched to a new location they would likely have to delay a year. Not a very good situation for the athletes who spent their whole life training for this:(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's pretty much what the data says (our hospital work group has gone over this topic). If you are not now vaccinated, you are actually at a higher risk to contract COVID than previously.
I think this makes a lot of sense. In the past there were more potential people spreading covid but a lot more mitigations happening. At some point when overall cases drop low enough I think unvaccinated people will flip to less likely to get Covid but while community spread is still relatively high that’s not the case yet.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The U.K. is confounding to me. Huge adoption for getting vaccinated, but then protests like this just don't juxtapose well.

And if the Times thinks that's hundreds of people, I can't imagine what thousands or more look like.

It's funny that Karens (I hate that term but sorry, I can't think of another to use right now) look the same even over there!

GimpYancIent

I saw a poll recently that over 70% of the public in Japan wants them to cancel the games so I think the vast majority of people there probably would be OK with going to the back of the line. It’s way too late to change for this Summer though so even if they switched to a new location they would likely have to delay a year. Not a very good situation for the athletes who spent their whole life training for this:(
Saw several and read several reports about the public in Japan not wanting the games to go on. As it is there will be no foreign spectators, no in-country spectators either. It is sad. Right now qualifications for the U.S. team are going on and some of the athletes that made the team last year will not be making it this year. Those athletes lost their opportunity and at that level a very difficult thing to achieve. I am curious to see if the broadcasting and coverage of the games is also pared back.

GimpYancIent

It's funny that Karens (I hate that term but sorry, I can't think of another to use right now) look the same even over there!
Hey, the folks pictured are unmasked so I take it they are vaccinated and are enjoying not wearing masks nor social distancing. So they are taking advantage, getting out there, and protesting vaccine passports. Why not? Blow some smoke (literally) and smile for the social media cameras. One way to deal with boredom.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Hey, the folks pictured are unmasked so I take it they are vaccinated and are enjoying not wearing masks nor social distancing. So they are taking advantage, getting out there, and protesting vaccine passports. Why not? Blow some smoke (literally) and smile for the social media cameras. One way to deal with boredom.
As a bottle blonde with long hair, I completely see the hypocrisy of my profiling of the two ladies in the center of the photo. But, my second sight is a gift... what can I say?

havoc315

And you are highly confident that we won’t and I hope and wish that you are wrong.

Actually I don’t really care all that much either way if we hit that arbitrary target. My life won’t change one way or the other if the cases were at 600 or 800 or 1,000 a day instead of 500 by a specific date. Fauci said many months back that we could drop all mitigations and return to normal when we got under 3 cases per 100K which is under 10,000 cases per day. I would say I’m highly confident we hit that level well before August.

I‘ve been clear throughout, that I believe with proper measures, we can eradicate covid. Not “give up” when numbers get “good enough.”

You prefer to set your goal posts at a much easier target.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I‘ve been clear throughout, that I believe with proper measures, we can eradicate covid. Not “give up” when numbers get “good enough.”

You prefer to set your goal posts at a much easier target.
I do not think we should keep Covid mitigations around until after the virus is eradicated. That to me was never the target. Just like many of us have been saying for almost all of this pandemic we should react to the situation as it occurs and remove restrictions gradually when the situation warrants it. As cases have decreased and vaccinations have increased we have effectively reduced mitigations as a reaction. So far that has not resulted in a noticeable uptick in cases or other negative statistics. So while you view this as “giving up” or settling for something that is “good enough” I see that as following the plan that we’ve always said we should follow. In my opinion you and some others have given up on the vaccination process already and it’s way too early for that. More people are still getting vaccinated every day and all efforts should be exhausted to get as many people in as possible.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I do not think we should keep Covid mitigations around until after the virus is eradicated. That to me was never the target. Just like many of us have been saying for almost all of this pandemic we should react to the situation as it occurs and remove restrictions gradually when the situation warrants it. As cases have decreased and vaccinations have increased we have effectively reduced mitigations as a reaction. So far that has not resulted in a noticeable uptick in cases or other negative statistics. So while you view this as “giving up” or settling for something that is “good enough” I see that as following the plan that we’ve always said we should follow. In my opinion you and some others have given up on the vaccination process already and it’s way too early for that. More people are still getting vaccinated every day and all efforts should be exhausted to get as many people in as possible.
So we don't wear masks and social distancing anymore after the pandemic is over along with the virus is eradicated?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So we don't wear masks and social distancing anymore after the pandemic is over along with the virus is eradicated?
If you are fully vaccinated you don’t need to wear a mask or distance right now in a lot of places. Check the rules first before taking the mask off. No need to wait for the pandemic to be over:) The virus could become endemic (similar to flu) or it could be eradicated, either way you are vaccinated so protected so you don’t need to worry anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom