Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida is about to be the test case for the vaccination theory. This time last year, we started our first big spike of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths as everyone headed indoors because of the summer heat. Here's hoping that our current decline continues!

florida?

the same thing is basically nationwide tomorrow.

I’m in New Jersey...first to mask and last to drop...

the mask mandate essentially ends in 3 hours, 37 minutes.

14 months

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
... and not just talking about personal behavior. There are so many situations where companies are getting an economic benefit from packing as many people close together as possible.

like the Walt Disney company?

they are ramping up staffing, hotel rooms and capacity...without their primary crowd control mechanism...

wonder how that’s gonna play?
Let’s shoot off some fireworks too 👍🏻

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m no longer for giving people “the consideration of adulthood with the care of a toddler”...

so I do agree on this with Governor swollen tick.
It is what it is. The only thing that matters now is getting enough people vaccinated. I don‘t disagree that people should want to get vaccinated on their own without a prize or extra reward, but I disagree that the government should just say “oh well, if they don’t want to then too bad”. People shouldn’t want to drink and drive on their own, but I don’t fault the government for running public service announcements against it and also setting up DUI checkpoints to further prevent it. Even though people should want to do something for the good of society that doesn‘t mean we just give up if they don’t.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is what it is. The only thing that matters now is getting enough people vaccinated. I don‘t disagree that people should want to get vaccinated on their own without a prize or extra reward, but I disagree that the government should just say “oh well, if they don’t want to then too bad”. People shouldn’t want to drink and drive on their own, but I don’t fault the government for running public service announcements against it and also setting up DUI checkpoints to further prevent it. Even though people should want to do something for the good of society that doesn‘t mean we just give up if they don’t.

I think if you are medically able and unwilling to vaccinate...you should be barred from Using roads, social security and voting...

...but my congressman won’t answer my emails to tell me if it will fly or not? 🤔

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think if you are medically able and unwilling to vaccinate...you should be barred from Using roads, social security and voting...

...but my congressman won’t answer my emails to tell me if it will fly or not? 🤔
That works too 😃 I actually wouldn’t have been opposed to more of the vaccine passport approach too. We just chose not to do it so no looking back now. I am heavily in favor of employers requiring proof of vaccination for workers to not mask. I think that plan gets the same end result without all the baggage associated with pure vaccine passports. It’s an easy win. Carrots work better than sticks but the mask rule for fully vaccinated people actually acts as both. It’s a carrot for fully vaccinated and a negative for someone who isn’t.

Animaniac93-98

A Federal Advisory Panel has recommended changes to the Canadian government's current border crossing rules, including suggesting those who are fully vaccinated should not have to quarantine.

The government's response? "We'll think about it". We'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months.

Jrb1979

A Federal Advisory Panel has recommended changes to the Canadian government's current border crossing rules, including suggesting those who are fully vaccinated should not have to quarantine.

The government's response? "We'll think about it". We'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months.
I don't think it will change til more people are fully vaccinated in Canada. I'm fine with that. Keep it closed til fall.

Chip Chipperson

Employers do not decide if an exclusion is legit. That is for doctors.

While I do make reasonable accommodations under the ADA, why would I even want to deal with it at all when I can make the whole problem go away by not checking an employees vax status? It is far easier to adopt the CDC guidelines and let the employees decide where they fall on the CDC spectrum.

OSHA is actually the bigger problem if masks are your primary mitigation. I used employee separation and engineered solutions like walls in addition to masks, so I remain OSHA compliant even when the mask requirement is dropped.

The law isn't really set up for an epidemic. It is designed to prevent discrimination. COVID has been a bit like trying to put the proverbial square peg in a round whole.

I never said employers decide what is a legitimate medical reason for accommodation. However, the burden is on the employee to provide evidence that the accommodation is necessary. Our company has a form that the employee's doctor has to fill out explaining the reason for the accommodation. In this case, the accommodation would be to wear a mask if you can't get vaccinated.

Wendy Pleakley

The Canadian approach seems to base things on infection rates, as opposed to different rules for the vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

I don't have any problem with this. It avoids the haves versus have nots inequality and is more of a "we're all in this together" approach.

I'm guessing August or September is when those restrictions are lifted.

seascape

Unfortunately, there is some bad news today to go along with the good news. Starting with the bad news, Colorado, Washington and West Virginia are moving in the wrong direction as they have 16, 15 and 13 cases per 100,000 respectively. However, even with them Florida and Wyoming both at 11, there are only 5 states with 11 or more cases per 100,000.
On tne positivedide there are 18 states with 5 or less and another 6 states at 6. Over all the US is now down to 22,999 or 6.94 per 100,000. Also on the positive side Florida continues to fall and now has an average of 2,284 cases which is now less than 10% of the US total.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Canadian approach seems to base things on infection rates, as opposed to different rules for the vaccinated versus unvaccinated.

I don't have any problem with this. It avoids the haves versus have nots inequality and is more of a "we're all in this together" approach.

I'm guessing August or September is when those restrictions are lifted.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

Rumor Uni is dropping indoor face mask requirements Saturday.

That the clickbait site saying that? If they don't then that will backfire (There's no Orange County Mayor meeting scheduled like they had last time to announce the next phase, even though SeaWorld already has the policy).

Either way the Orlando Intl Airport is expecting a traveler count HIGHER than 2019 (pre-pandemic) for Memorial Weekend, so it's going to be a bit crazy everywhere, and probably an indicator of how the overall summer is going to be. (Overcrowded with not enough open to hold it) One big indicator, the nonstop domestic seat capacity from June through August is actually 7% higher than in the summer of 2019.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That the clickbait site saying that? If they don't then that will backfire (There's no Orange County Mayor meeting scheduled like they had last time to announce the next phase, even though SeaWorld already has the policy). Either way the Orlando Intl Airport is expecting a traveler count HIGHER than 2019 (pre-pandemic) for Memorial Weekend, so it's going to be a bit crazy everywhere, and probably an indicator of how the overall summer is going to be. (Overcrowded with not enough open to hold it)

...sounds like a sandwich...

...with no fries 🍔🍟

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom